Question about Name on Tickets

cvrap

[quote name='lizardhowson']Don't tell me you booked him under his nick name ! :eek:

[COLOR=Red]Someone was "out to lunch" ......
[/COLOR]
Carnival will probably want $50 to "fix the mistake"

The problem with this is, you don't make the rules ![/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][COLOR=Red]The OP made a MISTAKE, and she is looking for answers not judgement.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='lizardhowson']Don't tell me you booked him under his nick name ! :eek:

Someone was "out to lunch" ......

Carnival will probably want $50 to "fix the mistake"

The problem with this is, you don't make the rules ![/quote]

No, it is not his NICKNAME. It is the name I give him when he was born and he has been called that name since he was born by everyone, his school records and all. His first name is his dad's name. I consider a nickname to be something that would not be listed on the birth certificate. You need to go back and read everything before you post. There's no reason to be so negative.

[quote name='cvrap']No, it is not his NICKNAME. It is the name I give him when he was born and he has been called that name since he was born by everyone, his school records and all. His first name is his dad's name. I consider a nickname to be something that would not be listed on the birth certificate. You need to go back and read everything before you post. There's no reason to be so negative.[/quote]

I just can't believe this issue hasn't come up before in you and your son's life. One would think this would be a no brainer.

[quote name='jorgesgirll']The OP made a MISTAKE, and she is looking for answers not judgement. [/quote]

I have read your post and understand your viewpoint as it is too big and too red to miss !

[quote name='Guienevere_Arianette']I realize this is annoying, but it's the technical things that count. Lots of people go by nicknames or middle names (I am one) but we also know that when legal docs are concerned, you have to give the full, complete, technical, birth certificate name. In order.

[/quote]

With respect to conditions in today's world, this poster has said it all, and very well !

[quote name='jorgesgirll'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][COLOR=red]The OP made a MISTAKE, and she is looking for answers not judgement.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[/quote]

Thank you!!! I went back and read some of his or her posts and they're all negative. He or she just needs to be ignored!!

Well, I would update everyone if I could get my TA to return my calls or email. She called me on Sunday and no contact since then. She said she would call me Monday morning. I guess I need to try someone else at her company. I will never book through another big online company. If my reservation was thru Carnival, I feel like this would've already been resolved. And if I did find a cheaper price, it would be long gone before she would ever contact me!! This is ridiculous!!

I will update when something happens. Thanks!!

[quote name='cvrap']Well, I would update everyone if I could get my TA to return my calls or email. She called me on Sunday and no contact since then. She said she would call me Monday morning. I guess I need to try someone else at her company. I will never book through another big online company. If my reservation was thru Carnival, I feel like this would've already been resolved. And if I did find a cheaper price, it would be long gone before she would ever contact me!! This is ridiculous!!

I will update when something happens. Thanks!![/quote]

Can you work with another TA at the same agency? Maybe get quicker results? Does your TA have a supervisor?

Well, I finally called a supervisor today. Guess what!! They changed it, no fee. The only problem is my TA didn't even notify me of the change. Can you believe that? If she's watching, THANKS!! But it would've been nice of you to let me know instead of letting me worry about it all week. I'll just go through the after sales department for any other things.

[quote name='travelntreats']Gosh... you have 7 staterooms booked and at minimum, the TA should be generous enough to offer to pay the $50.00 for you based on the commission he or she is going to be making... that's just good PR and would leave you with a good feeling for the gesture.... perhaps the TA would split the $50.00 fee with ya at worst case scenario ???[/quote]

I'm thinking this too. When I booked my first cruise, the online TA went out of her way to stress that names needed to match the passport. This was big deal since my mom doesn't use her legal first name either. I wouldn't have thought a thing of it but thank goodness the TA did. Might not have been a big deal but what if it had been?

Jenny

Just playing "Devil's Advocate" here...but a lot of people have talked about fixing a name as being different than changing a person. Technically, the policy does not say "person change." It says "name change." When you fix a name, you are changing a name. This has nothing to do with whether or not you are changing a person. It's been the policy for years (especially after final payment...within penalty), although it was rarely enforced.

Something else to think about....from a cruise line's point of view. How would they know, in most cases, if you actually did switch persons? Say for example, you booked your son, John Smith, but then he decided he couldn't go. You replace him with his twin brother, James, call the cruise line (or TA) and say, "Oops, sorry, I just realized that we didn't have John's "real" name down....it's actually James. We're not changing people, just correcting his name." How is the cruise line suppose to know for sure? Particularly if birth dates are the same, or if birth dates have not yet been entered on the reservation. Most people are honest, but unfortunately, many are not. People do try and get away with things like this all the time. You can go through the whole "middle-name" scenario, even though most reservations don't even include middle names - but there's no real mechanism to prove all this, nor do they want to take the time of you sending in birth certificates, passports, etc., to prove your case. The rule is "no name change," regardless of the reason. Sadly, it happens all the time. A good TA will be sure and stipulate the importance of having the reservation match the documentation right from the beginning. If they don't, then they end up with problems to fix, and upset clients.

Of course, these new Early Savings fares are very new...just issued in the last couple of weeks, so there are still a lot of questions and kinks with them. Perhaps Carnival will be lenient as everyone gets use to them. But the rules have always, technically, been "no name change" meant spellings, regardless of if they were changing people or not. It's always best to make sure there are as few potential corrections or problems from the get-go, especially when the policy is so strict.

I'm not here picking on anyone...not any of the posters, and not the travel agent. I'm simply playing devil's advocate, and hoping that we can all learn from each other...whether it be our situations, experiences, or mistakes. Either way, I hope the poster can get it fixed, with minimal or no cost, and have a wonderful, carefree cruise when the time comes!

Archived