Question about Name on Tickets

cvrap

But why would you have to cancel? I was thinking if you had to make a change, you would pay the $50 and keep the same booking.

Did you book with Carnival?

I was under the impression that I could cancel and rebook to avoid any additional charges. The rep I spoke with took care of the change since I assured her I was changing a name not a passenger. She did tell me that I would lose $50pp if I cancelled and rebooked (I would have $300 of FCC instead of the $400 deposit).

All is well now, and yes I did book with Carnival

I was under the impression that I could cancel and rebook to avoid any additional charges. The rep I spoke with took care of the change since I assured her I was changing a name not a passenger. She did tell me that I would lose $50pp if I cancelled and rebooked (I would have $300 of FCC instead of the $400 deposit).

All is well now, and yes I did book with Carnival

So did you lose $50 or did they just correct the name? Glad everything worked out for you.

You have 3, count them, 3 options.

1 Continue to try and work with your TA, who to me sounds like a PITA.

2 Call 1 888 CAR NIVA and hope to find a sympathetic ear.

3 Get out the X-acto knife and some invisible tape and VERY carefully cut out and reverse his first and middle names on his passport. :p

You have 3, count them, 3 options.

1 Continue to try and work with your TA, who to me sounds like a PITA.

2 Call 1 888 CAR NIVA and hope to find a sympathetic ear.

3 Get out the X-acto knife and some invisible tape and VERY carefully cut out and reverse his first and middle names on his passport. :p

You are hilarious!!! Send me a pm and let me know what PITA stands for!!

I wish I could do like the above poster and go thru Carnival but they won't talk to you if you've booked thru a TA. I have been a pain to my TA with the booking and then rebooking. BUT I am the customer and she should still try to help me out, I think, and be nice about it. Apparently, it can be done as two above posters have had to make a name correction. I'll post tomorrow after we've talked.

Thanks. I knew I had read that somewhere. So I guess that's saying you would have to cancel and rebook because it says no name changes. But then what about the other person in the cabin with you? But I really feel that this is not a name change, just a correction. I feel a name change is changing the person out with a different person.

Also, you know when you're booking it's kind of hectic because you're trying to get the cabin before someone else does? Well, why send the invoice and say call with any corrections if you can't call and make a correction?

I think you need to make it clear you are NOT changing the name. you are fixing an error, same person, same name, just adding their correct first name. I have several times made corrections to names through my TA. I will find the error when I go to fill out fun passes. I know after final payment, there is a fee. I think the 3 way call is needed as well.

You are hilarious!!! Send me a pm and let me know what PITA stands for!!

I wish I could do like the above poster and go thru Carnival but they won't talk to you if you've booked thru a TA. I have been a pain to my TA with the booking and then rebooking. BUT I am the customer and she should still try to help me out, I think, and be nice about it. Apparently, it can be done as two above posters have had to make a name correction. I'll post tomorrow after we've talked.

BTW, my TA was also a PITA the first time this happened, so I never used her again, got new TA. TA are struggling right now, they can't afford to lose your business.

I think you need to make it clear you are NOT changing the name. you are fixing an error, same person, same name, just adding their correct first name. I have several times made corrections to names through my TA. I will find the error when I go to fill out fun passes. I know after final payment, there is a fee. I think the 3 way call is needed as well.

Good Suggestion! Present it as an "error" not a change....

Good Suggestion! Present it as an "error" not a change....

While I agree it is an "Error"..... with this new program, and the cruiselines struggling.... they may not be so easy to work with and stick to their guns on this one. I only hope at minimum the OP only has a small fee to pay which she aggrees is HER error and not the TA's or cruiselines.

While I agree it is an "Error"..... with this new program, and the cruiselines struggling.... they may not be so easy to work with and stick to their guns on this one. I only hope at minimum the OP only has a small fee to pay which she aggrees is HER error and not the TA's or cruiselines.

True...just suggesting ways for a creative approach.

True...just suggesting ways for a creative approach.

Thanks for your encouragement. The worst I think it would be is lose the $50 dollars and use the $150 toward rebooking. But, hopefully, I can get it done without the charge. And it is my error, but then again I don't remember the TA asking me for each person is this their legal name. I just realized it when looking at the invoice she sent me. I mean, I've cruised before and knew that's the way it should be but, like I said, it just didn't cross my mind this time.

Going to bed now!!! Thanks for all the chatting about this. I'll follow up tomorrow.

I realized today that my son is ticketed under his middle and last name because that's what he goes by and always has. We have never used his "first" name. His passport will have his full name on it. Do you think this will be a problem at checkin?

Assuming that his middle name is identical on the passport and the ticket you will have no problem. A lot of people only book with a first and last name and the pp has first middle and last. It is really not any different using the middle name, than using the first name only. The name matters if there is a question of identity. fill out the fun pass with the full name and go have a good time.

[quote name='zqvol']Assuming that his middle name is identical on the passport and the ticket you will have no problem. A lot of people only book with a first and last name and the pp has first middle and last. It is really not any different using the middle name, than using the first name only. The name matters if there is a question of identity. fill out the fun pass with the full name and go have a good time.[/quote]

Okay. I didn't go to bed. I had to check for responses one more time!!!

Anyway, this is the way I feel. There should be no question of identity because his middle name is also on his birth certificate and his driver's license and will be on his passport. He'll have all three!!

[quote name='cvrap']I realized today that my son is ticketed under his middle and last name because that's what he goes by and always has. We have never used his "first" name. His passport will have his full name on it. Do you think this will be a problem at checkin?[/quote]

Yes, it will be a huge problem. The name on the passport must match the name on the ticket. Homeland Security is very strict about this and Carnival must follow their rules.

Call them and have this corrected right away. You could be denied boarding if your documents/tickets aren't in order.

I just returned Saturday from the Carnival Glory. One person in our party had a similar issue. Her passport was under her maiden name, but her Carnival reservation was under her married name (like her license). She had no problem what so ever. She did call Carnival on sailing day and they said they could fix it for $50, but they told her to just explain at the port. She didn't even mention it while checking in and had no problem. I would say though that if you have some time before your cruise to just get it corrected.

OK - I will admit I have not read through this entire post - just wanted to comment on my recent experience. My passport on the cover page (with the picture) still has my maiden name. I have had it revised to my married name - when they do this - it is a very simple typewritten statement on the LAST page of the passport. I don't think that this is a common thing, as I need to tell airport security where to look for the correct name. If I tell a border control guard that it has been revised, they know to look at the last page.

Now to my experience - when we checked in for embarkation, they checked the passport, and I explained about the revision. THe agent clearly didn't care, and proceeded to change my name to my maiden name. On my sail and sign card it was the married name, but anytime I used it, the receipt printed the maiden name - not one person commented that it was different from the name on the Sail and Sign card. Should I have done something about it? Probably - the line at the purser desk was too long though.

I just wanted to point out, that changes can be made - whether you want them to be done or not!

If it is his legal name, middle or first it should not matter. As long as the passport shows both names. I would only see a problem if it was a nickname like Bobby for Robert.

I also go by my middle name, but out of habit always list both names on documents.

Just checking my Carnival reservations and found my mother's last name is spelled wrong, 1 letter missing. I've emailed the TA to correct it. His confirmation email to me was right, but on the Carnival site it's wrong. Should I contact Carnival instead, or leave it to him to correct it?

[quote name='pyropatty']Just checking my Carnival reservations and found my mother's last name is spelled wrong, 1 letter missing. I've emailed the TA to correct it. His confirmation email to me was right, but on the Carnival site it's wrong. Should I contact Carnival instead, or leave it to him to correct it?[/quote]
Your TA will have to get this fixed for you since you booked with them, they are in control of the booking and CCL will not do anything directly dealing with you on an issue such as this.....if your TA tries to charge you a fee for this..call their hand on it because they get a confirmation from the cruiseline stating passengers names and should have checked it and made any corrections IMMEDIATELY. If the confirmation they sent you is the "Guest Copy" from the cruiseline, and is accurate, you should not have any problems at all.

If however it is a long name it is entirely possible that it may not be showing up on your reservation due to exceeding the name fields abilities for length, but will be accurate within the cruiselines system.

I had no contact with my TA today. I have been out of pocket but I don't think she's tried to contact me. I'm going to email her tonight and tell her to call me TOMORROW!! I'll report back.

[quote name='cvrap']I realized today that my son is ticketed under his middle and last name because that's what he goes by and always has. We have never used his "first" name. His passport will have his full name on it. Do you think this will be a problem at checkin?[/quote]

Don't tell me you booked him under his nick name ! :eek:

Someone was "out to lunch" ......

Carnival will probably want $50 to "fix the mistake"

[quote name='cvrap']Anyway, this is the way I feel. There should be no question of identity because his middle name is also on his birth certificate and his driver's license and will be on his passport. He'll have all three!![/quote]

The problem with this is, you don't make the rules !

[quote name='cvrap']It is my mistake. I just never refer to him by the first name. He probably wouldn't even turn his head and know you were talking to him if you said his first name. I just feel that this is a correction and not a change. But I will fix it and pay $50 if that's what it takes. Now I will say that his past guest number should be under his first name and originally when we booked before the early saver the TA should've looked up his past guest number as I did not have that handy at the time.[/quote]

I realize this is annoying, but it's the technical things that count. Lots of people go by nicknames or middle names (I am one) but we also know that when legal docs are concerned, you have to give the full, complete, technical, birth certificate name. In order.

I really hope you can get this worked out; don't let this get in the way of you all having a wonderful cruise!

Archived