Grand Cayman 7 Mile Beach

ibass

ibass,

Seven Mile Beach is still as fabulous as ever. Several of the beaches took a pretty good hit in the hurricane and are not fully operational yet. Sea Grape Beach was the first to reopen and has been going strong ever since. They have all the facilities available, bar & grill and LOTS of sandy white beach. In my opinion it's the only place to go on 7 mile Beach!

Chances are that the taxi driver will take you to Sea Grape Beach anyway but just to be sure you probably need to ask to go to Sea Grape Beach.

Hope this helps!

ilv2trvl

We just got back and stopped at the Caymans. Beautiful island but still reeling from the devastation from Ivan. We took a cab ride (around $4/pp) to Seven Mile Beach and stopped at Sea Grape. I had read great things about this beach from this chat board. The van driver wanted to drop us off the Marriott Courtyard Beach--right next to Sea Grape. Both are very nice, but we really enjoyed Sea Grape. Nice people, nice amenities and beautiful and clean changing rooms and bathrooms.

We had wanted to go parasailing, but we were told many of the boats (for other activities as well) were destroyed. They are doing a lot of diving and have the trips to Sting Ray City--a not to be missed opportunity.

We had a great time on the beach, although going to and from you could see the damage to various places on the beach. Almost all places, including the hotels, had blue roofs. Many strip malls and condos were completely uninhabited. Although you could see the damage, with many trees down, we were told the beach was not as hard hit as other parts of the island where they still do not have water and electricity. It appears that they focused on the beach to bring back the tourists. The people all have smiles on their faces and are looking ahead. We were very impressed with their resourcefulness and genuine kindness.

It's a beautiful place to go.

I think it was $10/pp, but that also included one drink and use of the changing rooms and bathroom (very clean) as well as lockers. I didn't notice that at the Marriott Courtyard. We thought the chairs were comfortable, too.

We were three couples and got one chair per couple. We also got the mats for the water ($5pp) so you could try that as well. There were a lot of chairs out and people were coming and leaving f rom the beach and the attendant we were with let us use the empty chairs later. I had less trouble with the overall cost in light of the damage from the hurricane sustained by the island--I was pretty amazed at how much damage there is. Although I can be cheap at times, I felt that this was a time I could give back to the island and give a boost to the people to recover from the impact of Ivan. No one we met complained and all had a sincere smile on their face even though some were still living without electricity or water. It may be years before the island comes back to where it was before Ivan.

Hello All!

We are just back from our cruise this morning and I'm still in shock from the temperature change!

We were in GC on Tuesday and went to Seagrape for the day. We opted not to get chairs and just spread out our towels from the ship. There were 13 of us including 4 kids. We had such a nice time. Like everyone said, it was $4 per person each way by taxi.

There were wave runners available and aquabikes on the beach. I think it cost $60 for 1/2 hour on the wave runner and $25 or $30 for 1/2 hour for the aqua bikes. There is a restaurant but the food was pretty expensive. $11 for a hot dog/fries/drink.

The water is BEAUTIFUL and the beach is gorgeous. I would recommend this beach to anyone.

Thanks Rita! Dumb question...what is an aqua bike? My parents live on the lake and have a waverunner, and I've ridden them since I was a kid. In the old days, they had jetskis, instead of waverunners, but I've never heard of an aquabike nor seen one yet I spend most of my summers on the lake.

You can go to the public beach which is free - cab fare of course is $4 per person. There is a snack bar - I didn't get anything from there so I don't know what they have as far as food and drinks. There is a clean bath house and they do rent items. There are pavillions so you can enjoy the shade.

We did the resort thing the first time and it was so over run with cruisers that we had this very small piece of beach to sit in our lounger and do the "obstacle course" to get to the beach.

Where is the public beach located? We are hoping that by january we will be able to rent a car so we can do some exploring on our own, then head over to the public beach. Is it near cemetary beach and sea grape? Those are places we might like to check out too. Parking?

Archived