Need ideas on what to do our first time in Key West??

Melann616

My mother, sis-in-law and I will be in Key West on May 1st for the first time. We will be there from 7:30 to 2:00. We basically want to explore a little, hit the beach and shop. Would like to see the southernmost point, maybe the lighthouse. Any suggestions on what else we must see, and should we walk or catch some sort of transportation? What would be the best beach for us?

Melissa,

Assuming your ship docks at/near Mallory Square, that's the North end of Duval Street. The Southernmost Point is at the south end of Duval, which is a good mile or so. Beaches are also along the southern end of the island. If you choose to walk, the lighthouse is just a couple of blocks off Duval.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I would suggest the hop on hop off trolley tour. They have 12 stops that they make. You will be able to see everything within a few steps of their stops. Even go to the beach. The entire tour if you stay on the trolley only takes 1.5 hours. Drivers are wonderful and tell very funny stories of the history of key west. You can go on their web site keywestrolleytour

and print a map, this way you can plan what you want to do. They charge $29 pp and if ordered on line I believe it is 26.10. We just got our tickets when we arrived.

Enjoy

SOUTH BEACH

A favorite of locals. Nice sandy beach with shallow waters and a concrete pier. No restrooms or facilities. Located at the end of Duval Street on the Atlantic Ocean. This beach is just east of the southern most point.

HIGG'S BEACH

Wide sandy beach with long wooden pier. Restroom facilities, covered picnic tables, full service restaurant, playground, chair rentals, rafts and watersports rentals. End of Reynold's Street.

The conch train is a nice way to see the town without getting winded and taking a lot of time. I don't think you can just hop off at the beach area. Tickets are sold over by the old historic sea port. Along Caroline I think.

There is a ton of shopping along Duval. Tons of great restuarants and bars too.

This is our first trip to Key West also. We will be in port from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. It will be me, my husband and 12 year old daughter. We've already talked about going to see the six toed cats at Heminway's house. I'm also thinking about visiting the Pirate Soul Museum. Also we want to shop at Kino's sandals and have some ice cream at Flamingo Crossing. I think we will enjoy the ambience of Key West. We used to go the the French Quarter in New Orleans every year until Hurricane Katrina hit the area. Any other ideas that might appeal to our family?

This is our first trip to Key West also. We will be in port from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. It will be me, my husband and 12 year old daughter. We've already talked about going to see the six toed cats at Heminway's house. I'm also thinking about visiting the Pirate Soul Museum. Also we want to shop at Kino's sandals and have some ice cream at Flamingo Crossing. I think we will enjoy the ambience of Key West. We used to go the the French Quarter in New Orleans every year until Hurricane Katrina hit the area. Any other ideas that might appeal to our family?

Relatively easy additions would be the lighthouse right across Whitehead from the Hemingway House, then continuing all the way to the south end of Whitehead to the Southernmost Point for a photo. Walk over one block to Duval and come back north. The Butterfly Conservatory is on your left and the Flamingo Crossing is on the right. Then you'll need to walk almost all the way back up Duval to Front to make a right to see Pirate Soul.

When you are done there walk all the way north on Duval until you dead-end at the glass-bottom boat. Walk around to your left in front of the Ocean Key Resort and out onto the sunset pier for the view. Then continue along the pier and you will come back to the Mallory Docks. It's nicer than swinging back to the street.

Pjk

We vacationed in KW last year, i read the KW forum on tripadvisor.com, they give you lots of up to date advice. They suggested the trolly's and we were not disapointed. The trollys have on and off privledges and give you a history of KW. You get to know the place better. The hemmingway house was interesting(i recomend that) also a picture at southern most point is a must. The trolly will drop you off at both places. Fort Zac Beach was nice, but remember the beaches are not the sand beaches like on the coast in Miami. lots of coral and rock so if you swim wear water shoes. Fort Zac has a snack bar also. also you have limited time so you have to pick and choose what you want to do. we are stoping on march 31st on carnival, cant wait to see KW again.

Tslammer

Hi

I would suggest the hop on hop off trolley tour. They have 12 stops that they make. You will be able to see everything within a few steps of their stops. Even go to the beach. The entire tour if you stay on the trolley only takes 1.5 hours. Drivers are wonderful and tell very funny stories of the history of key west. You can go on their web site keywestrolleytour

and print a map, this way you can plan what you want to do. They charge $29 pp and if ordered on line I believe it is 26.10. We just got our tickets when we arrived.

Enjoy

I tried that website and came up with an error? I've found some other Trolley tours but one starts at $68! Could you email me at LRSKILL at Yahoo dot com

My biggest piece of advice for a first timer to Key West...don't over plan! The keys is a total go with the flow type of place (and I'm a planner by nature!). Maybe plan to do the trolly thing and then just take the rest as it comes. If the mood strikes you at a location, jump off and wander. That is what the Keys are all about. You may decide to hand at the beach or you may decide to just wander up and down Duval. You are there to enjoy Key West for what it is, not squeeze every drop of tourism out of it that you possible can. Took me a while to drop my map, leave the plan and just go with it. But I ADORE the Keys and can't wait to get back there!

ENJOY!!!!

We enjoyed the Mel Fisher museum which is very close to Mallory Square...

As did we!

When we went to Key West on Feb 5th, it was not a planned shore day. We were supposed to go to Great Stirrup Cay, but a cold front brought choppy water that prevented us from tendering. So, we were heading into Key West cold (literally... it was just above 50 degrees that day... oy...).

As we were riding the open air (eek) Conch Train from our ship to downtown Key West, the driver pointed out the Mel Fisher Museum. We found what we were going to do! :D

I have pictures in my album, linked from my signature below (Ships & Dip V). Just click on Thursday. :)

We also went to the Art & History Museum across the street, and walked to to the Lighthouse, which you can climb. :) I don't know how long the Seward Johnson exhibit is running at the museum, but it was fun having my husband and brother pose with the sculptures. :D

We also stopped at the Blonde Giraffe for Key Lime Pie, and checked out a few shops. Posed with the 0 mile marker for route 1. We'd have wandered around more (maybe to the southernmost point) if it wasn't so chilly that day... we definitely would like to go back in nicer weather, with a little bit more of a plan. ;)

I've got a 6 toed cat!

My DH and I use to go to Key West every year during the winter for a long weekend. It was our time away from the kids. We love Key West. January of 2008 we opted to cruise instead and one of our ports was Key West. We really enjoy Ernest Hemmingway's home. We weren't sure what to expect (my DH didn't think he would like it at all) and we both found it very interesting. Another one of the beaches is Smathers Beach. I don't really go to Key West for the beaches. I've been to much nicer beaches. I go for the atmosphere of the island. Southernmost Point is a must (just to say you've been there). We never take the trolley. We usually always walk it. Last year it was nice walking it, as it helped work off all of the cruise food we were eating.:)

Well I have jotted down lots of good ideas from all the posts. Thanks to all that replied. I think I am going to check out the trolley website, and I'm sure we will be going to the lighthouse and the southernmost point. Sounds like a great time and I can't wait!

malann616

Glad you are looking into the trolley. It will stop at the lighthouse and the southernmost point. no worries. When you are done and before heading to the ship you might want to check out kinos sandels. I purchased a pair for $10 and they are so comfortable..

Enjoy your trip and post when you return. I will be eager to hear your thoughts on Key West.

Grace

Can you just get off the ship and walk around or do you have to get a cab to get to town. We are interested in doing the pirate soul museum and find some great key lime pie. Any other suggestions welcomed.

Pirate Soul is at 524 Front Street. If you walk off of the docks (no cab needed) keeping the big, red brick building on your left, the first cross street is Front. Walk to the left across Duval and the museum is another half block, IIRC just after Ann Lane. You can save $1.00 or $1.50 by buying tickets at their web page. www.piratesoul.com

For Key Lime pie you can visit Kermits http://www.keylimeshop.com/ on Elizabeth Strret which runs just behind the Key West around the corner from Front.

Ohj

Thanks for the great information. What is the difference in the trolley tour and the conch train tour? Thanks.

Owned by the same person, basically identical except for the following:

The conch tour train takes you on a 90 minute tour of the Island with one quick pit stop and then returns you to Front St.

The trolley takes a more leisurely pace and makes 9 different stops (conveniently at establishments owned by the tour operator) where you can get off to explore and then pick up the trolley later.

Personally, I favor the train because it gives people with a limited amount of time to get a great overview of the island and then they will have time to explore the things that interest them the most.

Old town is compact and easily walkable

Mike:)

Well I have jotted down lots of good ideas from all the posts. Thanks to all that replied. I think I am going to check out the trolley website, and I'm sure we will be going to the lighthouse and the southernmost point. Sounds like a great time and I can't wait!

Hey my husband and I will be on this cruise too. We are planning on renting a scooter or bikes and just exploring the town on our own. I think you can rent bikes for 25pp and a scooter is 65+. We are wanting to go to the southernmost point, hemingway house and we also want to walk around the cemetery. We went to KW last year and took a snorkeling excursion and had no time to see the port. Happy cruising to you!

Archived