New Cruiser-Western Caribbean

scoutandbunji

This is my second curies on RCL..this time we're sailing Spirit and we leave from New Orleans March 22 for 7 days. I have a few questions...

RCL tours or outsource? Any suggestions on whom?

Bring soda and bottle water on board...is it allowed?

We have an outside room with a window. Thinking of getting a balcony instead. Should we wait to see if the boat makes us an offer (we are members of their program)? Or call and purchase? Or what till we get on the boat?

How long before the cruise leaves should we board the boat?

Thanks all......

This is my second curies on RCL..this time we're sailing Spirit and we leave from New Orleans March 22 for 7 days. I have a few questions...Royal Caribbean does not have ship called Spirit...however...Carnival does have a ship by that name...better check who you are going with

RCL tours or outsource? Any suggestions on whom? usually cheaper outsourced Bring soda and bottle water on board...is it allowed? yes....tag it

We have an outside room with a window. Thinking of getting a balcony instead. Should we wait to see if the boat makes us an offer (we are members of their program)? Or call and purchase? Or what till we get on the boat? They won't make you an offer

How long before the cruise leaves should we board the boat? should be on about 90 minutes ahead....or...you miss the "boat"

Thanks all......

bon voyage

Only you can decide how to do your tours. Some prefer ship's tours and some prefer private.

A reasonable amount of soda and water is allowed.

Cruise lines don't do many, if any, free upgrades anymore, but you can do an upsell where you pay the full differene between the cabin you booked and the one you want. You can do this before your cruise or wait until you get on board, but your chances of getting a balcony is better the earlier you do this.

You're paying for the full day, so board as early as possible, usually around 11:30. But you must be on board no later than 90 minutes before it's scheduled to depart.

Welcome new cruiser. Keep reading these boards and you will find a wealth of info.

You can bring your own sodas if it's worth the extra effort for you. They are heavy to lug around, but I like Mountain Dew and no one is the Western caribbean has it, so I will bring my own. No cruiseline has ever given me a hard time about it. I don't carry my own water onboard because it's too much effort, but you can.

I would read the ports boards and read the recommendation for the different independent tour companies. I have done both ship and private tours. I just pick the ones that sound most interesting to me. For some tours that can take a long time like an all day excursion to some ruins, I would stick with the ship sponsored so if there's is an unexpected delay, I know the ship won't leave without me.

I really enjoy having a balcony and would rather pay the extra money for it, but everyone has their own priorities. It's just so nice to be able to get out of bed in the morning and sit on the balcony to watch the ship pull into port without having to leave my room. Same thing in the evening. After a long day in port, it's nice to have some downtime relaxing on the balcony and enjoying the view. But others would rather save their money for other activities.

Enjoy! You'll have a wonderful time:)

Archived