Advice please - Aug 14 - 25 in AK (disembard Seward, fly out of Anchorage)

quiescentlyfrozen

Hi all,

These boards have been invaluable so far, so I thought I'd toss this one out to see what other help I can find! I will be cruising AK for 7 days and disembarking in Seward on AM of Aug 14. I will be honeymooning in AK for the next while with then-hubby, and we'll be flying out of Anchorage late on Aug 25. So I have 11 days to play with in AK!

So far, our theory was to spend 3 days/2 nights in Seward, checking out the Wildlife Conservation Center, Sea Life Center, Exit Glacier, and doing some manner of dogsledding.

From there - in theory - we were thinking to do a few days around Anchorage area, a few around Denali, a few around Fairbanks, then leave.

However, questions:

1) Is seward area the best to do a dogsledding type activity? Are they all pretty much the same across AK?

2) If you were us, would you regret not visiting Kenai NP? Should we spend a few days there?

3) If the answer to 2 is "yes! go to Kenai!", then do you reccomend shortening time everywhere to fit in another place, or replacing Fairbanks area with Kenai?

Other than that, a general question. I saw a post that was "what's the one thing to do in AK out of port from a cruise". However, I'm wondering... what's the one thing that I just shouldn't miss when I'm tooling around for 11 days? Anything come to mind that I should add to my iteniary?

Long post, sorry about that. Just looking for any and all suggestions from you wise cruisers who have been there ahead of me!

THanks!

Hi all,

However, questions:

1) Is seward area the best to do a dogsledding type activity? Are they all pretty much the same across AK?

2) If you were us, would you regret not visiting Kenai NP? Should we spend a few days there?

3) If the answer to 2 is "yes! go to Kenai!", then do you reccomend shortening time everywhere to fit in another place, or replacing Fairbanks area with Kenai?

THanks!

The more experienced ALaska travellers on this board say that the Godwin dogsledding out of Seward is the least cancelled. However, since you are going NB, you might want to try to do it in Juneau or Skagway, and then if it is cancelled, try to book it out of Seward.

So, you have 11 days to travel AK by land after your cruise? Wow - that's great! Lots of time!

IMO, you can to a lot in Seward in 3 days / 2 night, including a Kenai NP boat tour. No reason you have to miss out on that.

I like the idea of Denali, but I wouldn't spend much time in ANC or FAI. They're nice, but there are plenty of other places to see - Homer, Valdez, Kennicott / McCarthy,

I'd suggest planning or itinerary based on your interests - what do you like to do? Hike? Fish? Kayak? We can help with more ideas once we know what you are looking for.

I too agree, 11 days for interior Alaska can really be put to great use. I also would NOT be spending much time in Anchorage, IF you have other areas of interest to consider. SO, I suggest you do your homework, head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska are especially good. Determine WHAT areas have the attraction of INTEREST to you?? Then route your trip including them.

As for Kenai Fjords, my opinion only, If I am in Seward, I am ALWAYS on a Kenai fjords boat trip, sometimes going out twice. The other listing, can be done in a single day. Glacier Dog sledding is similar with all the vendors. You have the selection of going out of Seward, Juneau, or Skagway.

I do recommend before you start looking at days etc you make your priority list of where you want to go, again based on priority, THEN look at routing and the allotment of time for your preferred activities.

Archived