Safe to cruise first trimester?

esbie11

Make SURE you get trip insurance that covers a pre-existing condition (your pregnancy)! Very important. Your US health insurance will NOT cover you on the ship or in any non-US port. (I think you meant to say July '09 - not July '10). The guidelines for getting trip insurance that covers a pre-existing condition are pretty strict, time-wise....meaning you have a limited amount of time to purchase a policy after you've made your initial cruise deposit. Also, you MUST advise the cruise line of your pregnancy in order for the trip insurance to be effective in case there's a problem. Good luck to you.

No I meant exactly what I wrote, I had a M/C 3 months ago in July of 2010. I already spoke to my primary Dr, and my cruise line which dont worry about pregnancy until after the 23rd week. Thanks anyways

No I meant exactly what I wrote, I had a M/C 3 months ago in July of 2010. I already spoke to my primary Dr, and my cruise line which dont worry about pregnancy until after the 23rd week. Thanks anyways

Must have been before July 3 then, right? That would have been three months ago, according to today's date, which is 10-3-10. Actually, your cruise line DOES worry about your pregnancy! Which is why they won't allow you to cruise after 24 weeks. and which is why you need to get trip insurance, as you're barely into your first trimester with a history of "M/C". Remember - your US health care will not work onboard or at a non-US port.

i know that you have decided already but it is safe to cruise in the first trimester as long as you avoid areas/countries that have contagious diseases like Malaria, Dengue, tuberculosis, etc. For most main cruise line itineraries you should be fine. As long as you follow the same recommendations that you would when not cruising you should be fine.

As for miscarriages, the majority of miscarriages occur due to conditions due to the genetics of the baby, errors in fertilization or placental problems - none of which are altered by cruising. Major trauma of any kind and exposures to certain toxic substances and medications can cause miscarriage.

my wife was 10 weeks pregnant with our current 2.5 year old when we were on the legend. everything went fine.

as mentioned above, pregnancy may be a consideration for purchase of travel health insurance. the only benefit to travel health insurance for most people with health insurance is emergency evacuation. if you can afford paying up front for services, there is little risk if your insurance company is going to cover costs for visits on the ship.

the main concerns I would have for wife, as mentioned before, is how morning sickness, if present, would affect her cruise.

lastly, I would honestly suggest putting of the cruise in favor of pregnancy as opposed to putting off pregnancy in favor of a cruise. Sometimes getting pregnant is not as easy as Maury shows on his show :)

i know that you have decided already but it is safe to cruise in the first trimester as long as you avoid areas/countries that have contagious diseases like Malaria, Dengue, tuberculosis, etc. For most main cruise line itineraries you should be fine. As long as you follow the same recommendations that you would when not cruising you should be fine.

As for miscarriages, the majority of miscarriages occur due to conditions due to the genetics of the baby, errors in fertilization or placental problems - none of which are altered by cruising. Major trauma of any kind and exposures to certain toxic substances and medications can cause miscarriage.

my wife was 10 weeks pregnant with our current 2.5 year old when we were on the legend. everything went fine.

as mentioned above, pregnancy may be a consideration for purchase of travel health insurance. the only benefit to travel health insurance for most people with health insurance is emergency evacuation. if you can afford paying up front for services, there is little risk if your insurance company is going to cover costs for visits on the ship.

the main concerns I would have for wife, as mentioned before, is how morning sickness, if present, would affect her cruise.

lastly, I would honestly suggest putting of the cruise in favor of pregnancy as opposed to putting off pregnancy in favor of a cruise. Sometimes getting pregnant is not as easy as Maury shows on his show :)

I totally agree with you..lol it sure wasnt easy, but today I saw my OB and I was given green light as long as I stay away from strenuous activities and stay hydrated. Yea She told me about foods and what to avoid. Like I said it wont be a long cruise and I plan to take it easy, I also did call about insurance. Morning sickness hasn't occured yet, but I know what to eat and do if it does occur. Thank You all again for the recommendations.

I totally agree with you..lol it sure wasnt easy, but today I saw my OB and I was given green light as long as I stay away from strenuous activities and stay hydrated. Yea She told me about foods and what to avoid. Like I said it wont be a long cruise and I plan to take it easy, I also did call about insurance. Morning sickness hasn't occured yet, but I know what to eat and do if it does occur. Thank You all again for the recommendations.

great! good luck with the pregnancy and enjoy the future cruise!

Good for you about at least calling about trip insurance! I sincerely hope you purchased a policy! Enjoy your cruise.

I was in the exact same situation as you are, as a matter of fact I booked the cruise after the m/c to help distract me. Then I found out I would be at the same point in my pregnancy 10w as when I m/c. The dr ok'd it, the first loss was a genetic problem and told me to take it easy. The cruise was different from my others, but a great way to relax. For my own psyche, I went and had a sonogram 2 days before we left and all was well. Congrats and enjoy.

-Michelle

For what it's worth, I left for a 7 day cruise the day I found out I was pregnant. I was just more careful about what I ate, drank, did, etc. For example, I didn't have any caffeinated drinks (coffee, tea, soda), no raw fish (which meant limited sushi options), and no alcohol of course.

Husband and I had a fabulous time and now we're gearing up for our next cruise with our baby!

While I know this is an old post and all info was helpful, I had a question too. Just today I found out Im pregnant iIbelieve Im 5 weeks. Previosuly had a m/c in july '10 which was my first pregnancy, but have a cruised booked for ending of this month to the caribbean for 6 nights, where I should be 8-9 weeks. It is safe to still go on this cruise? Oh yea, this will be our first cruise. Thank You all

As long as your doc oks it, go and have fun! I traveled (not cruise) back in February when I was 24 weeks with twins. I was nervous, but it was great. Also, in terms of morning sickness, not everyone gets it. Fatigue was more my issue, and what better place to rest and relax than on a cruise! ENJOY!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again everyone,l Im packing now we leave in 2 days :D I saw my OB and had all necesarry exams done, she gave me the OK yesterday so Now Im more happy and looking forward to this cruise. Thank you all again for your stories and answers, very helpful.

What about trying ON the cruise? (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

That's actually how we conceived our now six week old son! He was conceived on the Celebrity Summit

Looking to cruise with him to Alaska or in Europe when he's 11 months old next August, so just "cruising" these boards to get some ideas.

With regards to the question, I wouldn't book a cruise to coincide with your first trimester if you haven't already because you just never know what the morning sickness will or won't be like. I had practically none and would have been fine but my sister was awful and would never have been able to handle it.

But ultimately, you need to ask your doctor.

Archived