Safe to cruise first trimester?

esbie11

So due to some life circumstances by husband and I are considering starting to try to conceive as soon as possible. (If you are confused by my cruise ticker, we are legally married but will have our actual wedding in April:D) My question is, is it safe to cruise during the first trimester? I have never been pregnant before and worry about the likelihood of a miscarriage. I am aware that morning sickness and other pregnancy symptoms tend to be the worst during the first trimester, but should I be concerned about being on the ship and miscarrying? We can, of course, wait until after the cruise to try to conceive if it is too risky. If I was to get pregnant prior to the cruise, I would be no more than 8 weeks along by the time we go. Any input? (BTW, I am going to discuss this with my doctor as well, however I can't get an appt with her until March!)

Whether you should go is up to you and your DOCTOR!!! Since you have no pregnancy history, your general health will have to guide you! I never got "morning sickness" with any pregnancy! The 1st and last trimester is when you will be tired...really tired!

If you're in good health, and become pregnant before the cruise, then there shouldn't be a reason not to go....should a miscarriage happen (and it probably won't!!), it will happen whether you're on a ship or at home.

Talk to your physician!

I agree, the first trimester brings a lot of fatigue. What better way to battle fatigue than to lay in the sun on a pool deck. Morning sickness htis everyone different. I had none with one pregnancy, minor with another, and horrid with my last. No way to know how you will respond.

If the unfortunate were to happen and you miscarried, it would not matter where you were at. An early miscarriage (6-8 weeks) ends up being no more than a very heavy period. I miscarried at 7 weeks. Needed no medical intervention. Was told that the embryo would pass without notice. While the emotional effect would be very difficult to deal with on a cruise, the physical should not be.

I will agree with the previous poster. YOUR DOCTOR should have the final say in your decision. They have all of the facts and details that we do not.

So due to some life circumstances by husband and I are considering starting to try to conceive as soon as possible. (If you are confused by my cruise ticker, we are legally married but will have our actual wedding in April:D) My question is, is it safe to cruise during the first trimester? I have never been pregnant before and worry about the likelihood of a miscarriage. I am aware that morning sickness and other pregnancy symptoms tend to be the worst during the first trimester, but should I be concerned about being on the ship and miscarrying? We can, of course, wait until after the cruise to try to conceive if it is too risky. If I was to get pregnant prior to the cruise, I would be no more than 8 weeks along by the time we go. Any input? (BTW, I am going to discuss this with my doctor as well, however I can't get an appt with her until March!)

As the OP talk to the Doc.

My worthless 2 cents on this..

I have known many friend of the "boss" ;) that did get very sick and they were healthy and active people. Everyone's body is different so your current healthy or ability to cruise / tolerate motion is likely no prediction of what it might be like. Even for my wife all 3 pregnancys were different. We were on a cruise during my wife's 3rd trimester with our 3rd and she got very sea sick ( first and only time ), there was nothing the doctor on board was comfortable giving her as the liabilities.

Miss carriage is only one thing, you could end up being simply feeling nasty and being on a ship / vacation for that matter may be no fun vacation at all. Not saying of course that could happen, but if it is your first nobody really can predict how your body will react.

There is no way to predict how you will feel in early pregnancy until you are in it. For me personally, I was very fatigued and got sick every morning from around 4 weeks through the 4 months. After that, I felt absolutely great. As long as you are ok with the possibilities of being extra tired and having morning sickness on a cruise, then go for it. I would :) As for the possibility of miscarriage, there is nothing that could be done in the first trimester to stop it from happening anyhow, so don't worry too much about that.

I have cruised in 2nd trimester and I agree with what everyone has brought up.

- check with doctor

- every pregnancy is different for each person

- doctors would be able to help/handle problems

BUT - what no one has mentioned is babies are on their own schedules. Getting pregnant doesn't always happen at the drop of a hat. It took me 4 months of trying and for others it can take longer. I guess I should mention too that my first was conceived on a cruise!!!

I say book the cruise and get insurance, then you can change your mind.

Book the cruise. There's a possibility you might be pregnant, but also that you won't be. At most you would've been trying for what, 2 months? (Sometimes it happens right away, sometimes it takes a little longer.) So, book it and get some insurance. Then you can have two things to look forward to, the cruise and trying to have a baby! :D

Good to read this thread, thanks to all who've contributed. We get married in April and have a cruise booked in Nov TA thogh so were wondering when the best time would be to start trying for a baby as fell pregnant 1st time immediately! Initially we were going to start trying straight aftr wedding but now since we're both really looking forward to cruise don't know whether it best wait til after cruise although 1st time round I didn't get any morning sickness

I've cruised once in my first and once in my second trimester (and will be cruising again in my second trimester in March) and while I agree with others that you and your doctor should discuss it, I have to say that the week I cruised during my first trimester (I was around 10 - 11 weeks) was heavenly - no cooking, no cleaning, no getting up for work in the morning . . .

It was my second pregnancy and we were cruising with friends and each of us had a child around age 2 with us. By choice, I was the designated babysitter for the children in the evening because by 8:00, I was pooped (you are tired in your first tri), and it worked out well. I watched movies/slept, the kids kept a regular bedtime and DH and my friends were able to go out and enjoy the nightlife with no worries/babysitter fees. I was able to enjoy and keep up with everyone during the day just fine and really enjoyed the lack of responsibility and ability to go to bed early at night. That cruise was one of my most relaxing.

I do think it really helped that we were with friends. Otherwise, my DH might not have enjoyed the cruise to the fullest - he might have stayed in the room with us at night or might just not have enjoyed himself as much as a "solo" cruiser in the evening.

I did get a bit seasick twice on that cruise (once on Formal night; I was wearing Spanx in order to fit into my dress - I think that's what did it; and once when we were hightailing it back to a previous port due to docking issues at our scheduled port - and lots of people were seasick at that time), which never happened before (or again). I presume it was because I was still prone to m/s which had, in general, subsided by then.

If I had to pick a perfect pregnancy time it would be early in the 2nd trimester. No more tired and morning sick. I did this last year and had a wonderful time. My energy level was great and I had a blast. Even without my wine.:( The added plus, I was showing by then and everyone including staff and fellow passengers fell all over themselves to pamper. Didn't have to stand, wait in line, open a door, bend over, nothing!! Never felt so pampered in my life.

Thanks for all of your input. I think we have decided to wait until after the cruise. There is no way we could cancel the cruise, because it is our wedding cruise, which we have been planning for 2 years now. We have 20 friends and family coming with us and we're having our wedding in St. Thomas....so cancelling due to a rough pregnancy is sooooo not an option. We wanted to start trying ASAP because it would allow me to be a stay at home mom for a longer period of time. The longer we wait, the lesser the chance there is that I could stay home with the baby for several months. We are just trying to look ahead and figure out the best situation for the baby. But, since canceling the cruise wouldn't be an option, I guess it is too risky, and I don't want to be sick during the cruise and especially not on my wedding day! Thanks for the input everyone!:)

Hi, I don't know if you remember me or not but we chatted in the wedding message board b/c I got married in St. Thomas this past may. I think you're getting married at the same place I did. Anyway, I am currently 28 weeks pregnant and I went on a cruise this past december when I was 20 weeks. It was great. But I agree you might wanna wait just to be safe. You wouldn't want your wedding cruise that you've been planning for years to be ruined by morning sickness(well lets not kid ourselves here, all day sickness is more like it). But best of luck to you.

I know you have already decided. But one thing I still wanted to add was that the first trimester is a time of fetal developement of many vital parts. If you were to be exposed to viruses, bacteria, etc on the ship or at ports, there would be potential risks to the baby. Probably not a high risk, but risk none the less. I was cautious during this time period on both of my pregnancies and glad to be into the 2nd trimester where I felt a lot better too. Best of luck starting your new family.

I think everyone has covered everything there is to say on this topic, but I just wanted to add that I cruised twice in my first trimester (for two pregnancies) and things were great both times, but I have no morning sickness, and never get sick on a boat. However, my friend got so sick in her first trimester that she had to be hospitalized for dehydration twice (basically serious vomit for hours a day every day). Therefore, if it is a can't miss cruise AND a wedding to boot, I would not risk being pregnant and potentially quite ill.

Thanks for all of your input. I think we have decided to wait until after the cruise. There is no way we could cancel the cruise, because it is our wedding cruise, which we have been planning for 2 years now. We have 20 friends and family coming with us and we're having our wedding in St. Thomas....so cancelling due to a rough pregnancy is sooooo not an option. We wanted to start trying ASAP because it would allow me to be a stay at home mom for a longer period of time. The longer we wait, the lesser the chance there is that I could stay home with the baby for several months. We are just trying to look ahead and figure out the best situation for the baby. But, since canceling the cruise wouldn't be an option, I guess it is too risky, and I don't want to be sick during the cruise and especially not on my wedding day! Thanks for the input everyone!:)

Congrats on the wedding and enjoy this special cruise!:D

• 1 year later...

While I know this is an old post and all info was helpful, I had a question too. Just today I found out Im pregnant iIbelieve Im 5 weeks. Previosuly had a m/c in july '10 which was my first pregnancy, but have a cruised booked for ending of this month to the caribbean for 6 nights, where I should be 8-9 weeks. It is safe to still go on this cruise? Oh yea, this will be our first cruise. Thank You all

Check with your dr. but if you are feeling well, there is not reason not to go. You may pick 'more sedate' shore excursions - I wouldn't go zip-lining or para-sailing - but other than that, it is a great way to relax and be pampered.

Check with your dr. but if you are feeling well, there is not reason not to go. You may pick 'more sedate' shore excursions - I wouldn't go zip-lining or para-sailing - but other than that, it is a great way to relax and be pampered.

Thanks, and I will ask on monday. So far I feel great, but my M/C is on the back of my mind until I pass this first trimester. But I will try and enjoy our cruise.

Thanks, and I will ask on monday. So far I feel great, but my M/C is on the back of my mind until I pass this first trimester. But I will try and enjoy our cruise.

Make SURE you get trip insurance that covers a pre-existing condition (your pregnancy)! Very important. Your US health insurance will NOT cover you on the ship or in any non-US port. (I think you meant to say July '09 - not July '10). The guidelines for getting trip insurance that covers a pre-existing condition are pretty strict, time-wise....meaning you have a limited amount of time to purchase a policy after you've made your initial cruise deposit. Also, you MUST advise the cruise line of your pregnancy in order for the trip insurance to be effective in case there's a problem. Good luck to you.

Archived