Divers: Certification on board?

kifler

Just wondering if I book the Scuba Certification (I guess its considered the level above Discover Scuba Diving), will I actually get my PADI card?

I was wondering about the process involved. Do I study/learn on board then get tossed onto a boat in St. Maarten, go under twice and get my certification (obviously it would be alot more in depth).

My friend/cruise buddy has his card and we've always gone snorkelling on vacations but would like to get into full blown diving.

You can get it done aboard. I suggest though taking a bit more time so you really understand what you are doing, its all about safety. Pick a place near home and take a class there, maybe arrange the check out dives in the Caribbean.

Taking specialty and advanced types of classes can be fun to do on vacation so you can dive and further your diving education. Photo and Video are definitely more fun at destinations where you can get some nice shots.

You can get it done aboard. I suggest though taking a bit more time so you really understand what you are doing, its all about safety. Pick a place near home and take a class there, maybe arrange the check out dives in the Caribbean.

Taking specialty and advanced types of classes can be fun to do on vacation so you can dive and further your diving education. Photo and Video are definitely more fun at destinations where you can get some nice shots.

I know that safety is the biggest thing in diving. I'm not the kind of lad to cut corners in that respect (ie diving without clearing the ears)...

Problem I have is I work 2 jobs, school fulltime, so I have maybe 1 day off a month? Cost is also a problem. It seems to be alot cheaper to do it while on vacation rather than in town.

I know that safety is the biggest thing in diving. I'm not the kind of lad to cut corners in that respect (ie diving without clearing the ears)...

Problem I have is I work 2 jobs, school fulltime, so I have maybe 1 day off a month? Cost is also a problem. It seems to be alot cheaper to do it while on vacation rather than in town.

Depending on where you live it may be expensive.

Use the 1 day a month off to review the PADI materials you can get locally so you are ahead of everyone on the ship... That will add to the margin of safety. I think there is a CD program as well...the more prep you do before the class the better you will be...then on the ship your class makes more sense and you are not necessarily in study mode all cruise.

And yeah don't forget to clear your ears...:D it'd be hard not to...

I had a new diver with me and he really sucked down the air, probably one key thing for a new diver is keep a close eye on air remaining until you get a good feel for how much you have left. Always nicer to sufrace by the boat instead of away and having to swim in a current or big waves. Fortunatley we got back to the deco bar and he had a 1 min visit there before surfacing with zero air in his tank...he even buddy breathed me to almost zero...the more nervous he got the quicker the air went.

Either way you go have fun!!!

The certification you get on board is not a full Open Water certification. It is a Scuba Diver certification. The Scuba Diver certification only allows you to dive with an instructor. I know it may be difficult but you would be a lot better off taking the class at home before you go. That way you will be free to dive where and when you want.

I used to work for a dive company in south Florida. I would recommend that you take your Open Water at home. When you take your course at home you can research your instructors and find one that really fits. The dive business has a high turnover rate. I have known some instructors to go from Open Water to Instructor in 8 weeks. My son will be getting certified soon. We have pushed back our cruise from June to September for a couple reasons, but one of the big reasons to support our decision was that he would have the summer to dive, and be comfy in the water before we took him to Grand Cayman and Mexico to dive. BTW, both my husband and me are dive masters. We never wanted to become instructors because there is no money in the career, which explains the turn over rate. I hope you have a blast learning to dive where ever you choose. It is an amazing world down there. Be safe.:)

Archived