Fragrance sensitivity

terkatz56

One doesn't have to have allergies to not like the scent of strong perfumes. I have no allergies and refer to some strong perfumy scents as those that used to be sold in 10 cent bottles at Woolworth's or Kress's when I was oh, so young ago. Some perfumes to me smell just rotten and since I am awhare of this I have never been a perfume or cologne wearer. I feel if one bathes daily or more when necessary, that the fresh scent of "clean" is the best, even if you use unscented soap.

I do not have allergies , but I cannot stand to be around strong scents , or two many scents.

Perfume counters in Department stores where people are spraying 10 different tester bottles do a real number on me.

I can't even stay long in a Yankee Candle store before the eyes and nose start bothering me.

I am allergic to the oil in orange peel. I get terrible migraines from too much exposure. I once was on a bus cleaned with the eco-friendly orange cleaner and thought I might just croak before I got to my destination. Every once in a while I have to air out a motel room which has been cleaned with it. And if people are peeling oranges near me in our cafeteria, I usually have to find another table. Perfume falls after citrus oil for me on the headache scale, but it also can cause a similar, milder reaction.

The headache is my sisters first clue that the fragrance or chemical is going to set off the following, throat closes, loses voice and breathing becomes difficult. She has worn masks of different kinds and the Dr.'s have said that this is pretty useless, unless she plans to live in one or use a respirator. As a previous poster mentioned, it is the carrier that is causing the problem. She works in a state office and has been rushed to the hospital three times in the last year, because people won't follow the rules they have set in place on her floor, and she is not the only one who has this problem. They have finally set up a penalty for those who do not follow the fragnance free area, as it is a failure to follow poilcy and procedure, the third strike, you lose your job. They tried to "play" nice with this problem and people just thought it was no big deal. As someone said when you tell them your allergic or sensitive to their fragrance, they look at you like you are from outer space. Those who wear their fragrance properly do not fragrance the air in their wake. I personally wear a little fragrance now and then but usually only me and DH know.

Archived