Fragrance sensitivity

terkatz56

I may get flamed for this, I hope not. We have found that the younger the pax mix the less of a problem you will encounter. OK, here it comes, I have found that some few older persons seem to bathe in the stuff.

If it really bothers you, as it does me, try to stay out of the elevators on formal nights, that is when it is at its worst.

Hope this helps some.

Years ago I worked with a woman (late 60s at the time) sweetest person you would ever meet, but she would douse herself with I think it was called "Tea Rose"

Oh my God the scent would stop you dead in your tracks *LOL* Burn your eyes, nose. :(

My mother is also very sensitive to perfumes. One night in the dining room (right after our stop in Martinique, with all its French perfume shops :rolleyes:), it was so bad in the dining room that she had to leave after her main course. The nice postscript to this was when we asked our waiter to have her dessert sent to the cabin for her, we arrived to find that 2 servings of crême brulée had been sent!

The next night, we again were seated around people who had bathed in perfume. This time, I decided we should nip it in the bud and insisted that we be changed tables. It took a few minutes for a new table to be available, but we were finally seated in a scent-free corner of the dining room.

The staff really were most accommodating when we told them of the problem, so don't hesitate to speak up!

Years ago I worked with a woman (late 60s at the time) sweetest person you would ever meet, but she would douse herself with I think it was called "Tea Rose"

Oh my God the scent would stop you dead in your tracks *LOL* Burn your eyes, nose. :(

The worst scent ever for my mother is Poison by Christian Dior. It totally lives up to its name - it will knock her out for days!

There is this guy that i work with, actually, he works in an entirely different department than i, but i still manage to always know when he is in or not. He is older, probably in his late 50's early 60's and bathes in Old Spice daily. Everywhere he has been, his scent lingers for at least a good 10 minutes, and i work in a clean room (100 cleaner than an operating room) so the air is constantly being changed.

I can deal with the older woman that overdue the perfume, but older men that bathe in very strong after shaves like Old Spice or even worse Brut.....God help me if i am ever stuck behind them in a line or with them in an elevator cause i literally start gagging, not because im allergic though, just because they smell disgusting :D

The next night, we again were seated around people who had bathed in perfume. This time, I decided we should nip it in the bud and insisted that we be changed tables. It took a few minutes for a new table to be available, but we were finally seated in a scent-free corner of the dining room.

The staff really were most accommodating when we told them of the problem, so don't hesitate to speak up!

So would I speak to the dining room staff or at the pursor's desk when we embark? I believe with the online check in there is a spot for health concerns and we will make sure that is properly filled out.

The Dr.'s have been saying there is a huge increase in these types of allergies/sensitivities, not just perfumes but chemicals in cleaners, sprays and so on.

I didn't realize they have a scent free area in the dining room, that would be the best!

Imagine sitting in good seats in the theater for an hour before the movie and then having someone plunk themselves down next to you doused in perfume. Or in the show lounge when a man (40's) doused in aftershave sits next to you and smells so bad that you have to move. It has happened often to us on cruises.

Here is my solution - I now carry masks with me and when the heavy perfume arrives I pull out my mask and put it on. they don't like it, but then, I don't like the smell and it makes me sick. It really does filter out the allergens and I can then enjoy the movie or the show. I get the

medical type - light weight and easy to slip into a pocket.

I am in the senior generation but never wear perfume or cologne and even use unscented soap - don't use downy in the dryer etc.

Our daughter ends up in the hospital if someone comes into the room wearing perfume - it is banned where she works but some people think that the rules don't apply to them.

Not cruise related, but perhaps another side of the age question: it seems that some young guys don't know moderation when dousing themselves wit deodorant in the gym. There have been times when I have walked into the locker room and smell is overwhelming, yet there is nobody there: they must have sprayed, finished dressing and left yet it was still thick in the air.

Last weekend I walked in as one of them was going wild; it must have been the look I gave him that actually made him apologize! I told him that it was way too much. Hopefully he takes it easier in the future.

We had to switch corridors to avoid the smell. I will take smoke everytime over perfume. Especially rose and gardenia based ones.

Have done that many times. I have the same problems that other CCer's on this tread do with perfumes. I know people really think this is kind of funny but when you can't breath because you have an allergy attack from these smells, it is not a fun thing to go thru. I have told this story before but I had a friend who had a major attack from a perfume wearing passenger on a cruise we were on and two weeks later she died from it, so it is very serious. I just go the other way whenever I run into passengers that like to bath in perfume, ofcourse my biggest fear is to get trap with them in the elevators. I have an inhaler, that I can use in emergency, but I prefer not to use it, if I can.......

I read long ago that the reason older people seem to have literally taken a bath in their fragrance is because the sense of smell diminishes as we age. Therefore the older person will keep applying the perfume until they smell it to their satisfaction, not knowing that they are simply overpowering others.

I gave up wearing perfume long ago as it is not considered PC in our neck of the woods. There are so many places where it is simply banned (churches, gyms, hospitals, doctor's offices etc) that it is not worth the effort anyway. Because so few people are wearing it, it is rare for me to encounter a "breathtaking" situation but it does occur from time to time and it invariably involves an older person.

I remember that there used to be a fragrance that bothered me dreadfully. It was by Avon------don't remember what it was called but it smelled like Raid insect repellent and it seemed to be everywhere. :eek:

Years ago I worked for a large organization. One month we noticed a series of very sizable long distance phone charges on our bill, for calls made in the evening. Over the month of the calls we had received complaints from a number of employees in the mornings that their phone hand pieces seriously smelled of a particular after shave. There was one man who worked with us that was known for his heavy use of this aftershave. Case solved and two problems resolved.

Years ago I worked for a large organization. One month we noticed a series of very sizable long distance phone charges on our bill, for calls made in the evening. Over the month of the calls we had received complaints from a number of employees in the mornings that their phone hand pieces seriously smelled of a particular after shave. There was one man who worked with us that was known for his heavy use of this aftershave. Case solved and two problems resolved.

_44091071_pa_beard_weiser.jpg

Strong fragances can be a problen for many people. DH particularly has a low tolerance.

A of couple theare evenings have been impacted by people's choice of scent. Believe it or not ,once a woman seated in front of us actually applied perfume shortly after being seated . Her two spritzs of scent just about took out two rows. We did ask to be moved but house was full, after spending a couple of hundred dollars on theatre tickets,we were not too impressed . DH had to leave for a while and returned at intermission when the fog had cleared .

Many people become use to their choice of scent and apply more than is necessary. Also they believe advertising hype, body chemisrty comes into play, a scent that smells magical on one person can indeed smell like fly tox on another.

Your scent should only be detected when some one embraces you any more than that is too much. I wear scent, Dolce Vitae by Chistian Dior( maker of the infamous Poison :D) I have been told it smells soft and fresh on me. Applied sparingly and chosen carefully a scent can been a wonderful compliment to a womans allure. If ever the adage "less is more" applies it 's with perfume.

A trick we use at work(medical setting) ,when scents ( not always perfume or aftershave:))are a problem( sometimes they get into your nose and throat and won't leave even after the source is gone)is coffee grounds /or beans in a paper cup. A couple of whiffs of that and problem solved.

Ask close friends or partner for the truth, and do a distance test drive:)

One doesn't have to have allergies to not like the scent of strong perfumes. I have no allergies and refer to some strong perfumy scents as those that used to be sold in 10 cent bottles at Woolworth's or Kress's when I was oh, so young ago. Some perfumes to me smell just rotten and since I am awhare of this I have never been a perfume or cologne wearer. I feel if one bathes daily or more when necessary, that the fresh scent of "clean" is the best, even if you use unscented soap.

Geesh...I guess this one can go either way...like when a person's own personal...ahem...'perfume', if you will, is strong and offensive. The concept of wearing a mask had never occurred but...it is an option, I guess. And a pretty funny one, I might add. :) We live in an area where there are a lot of farms and it isn't unusual from time to time to pass someone fresh off the field, especially in the summer at farmer's markets and I can tell you that odor would give any store bought fragrance a run for its money...p e e wh!!:eek:

cologne named for Michael Jordon or Paris Hilton? I can just imagine what it would smell like.

On the show Family Guy , the son buys his girlfriend perfume for her birthday.

He says "This is the new Elizabeth Taylor perfume, I guess it will make you smell like Bourbon and Vicodin" :)

Archived