noordam aft cabin

thunderbay

I am worried about getting sea sick being in the back and higher up on the ship. I wanted to experience the wake but am thinking I made a mistake. We are going on March 14 to the Caribbean. Originally we were situated at the bottom and in the middle but my travel agent thinks I will be fine. Do many people get sick these days or are ships more stable?

I am worried about getting sea sick being in the back and higher up on the ship. I wanted to experience the wake but am thinking I made a mistake. We are going on March 14 to the Caribbean. Originally we were situated at the bottom and in the middle but my travel agent thinks I will be fine. Do many people get sick these days or are ships more stable?
We had an aft cabin on the Celebrity Century and it was our favorite. The aft balconies are usually sold out early as they are the most sought after. There was a little more movement, but it only rocked me to sleep. You'll have a wonderful time.

Bob

We had an aft balcony on The Zuiderdam on a transatlantic crossing. Many people were seasick but we weren't the cabin was great. I have had motion sickness before it was always when we stayed in a inside room and usually if I just forced myself to get out of the cabin and up to a deck it cleared up. Mel

People swear by Ginger Pills for motion sickness. Just on the off chance, it might do you to have a bottle handy in your toiletries bag as they have no side effects.

Unless there's a hurricane, the seas in the Caribbean probably aren't going to be high enough to disturb a ship the size of the Noordam!

Besides, she's a top of the fleet model with the newest in Stabilizers and Azipod Propulsion. You're going to enjoy your cruise!

Wish we were going with you!

PS - you're more likely to suffer from Vertigo than Motion Sickness! People just LOVE those Aft staterooms!

Hi!

We were in an aft cabin on the Westerdam last Oct for 14 days. While there was just a tad more movement, it wasn't enough to bother me. That said, I really didn't care for being back there (we were in #8136 I think) The only thing I did like is when we were docked as I could get really good photos. I found it to be too hot to be out on the balcony when sailing. You didn't get the sea breeze. For our Oct 2009 cruise on the Zuiderdam, I chose to go with an SS cabin. That said, we had friends on both sides of us in the aft & everyone else LOVED it. They are staying in the same cabins when we sail on the Zuiderdam. So I'm the minority. I did love being on the 8th deck. And like the others said, those cabins sell out very quickly & most people love them. I'm sure you will be like most & love it! The Noordam is a GREAT ship, I've been on her 2 X's already ...

AND....

I will be on the March 14th Noordam also! :D Please stop by the Roll Call BB. I've been in touch with Ship Services & they are helping us to do a Meet & Greet. We would love to have you join us! It is a GREAT way to talk to fellow cruisers. It is on our 1st sea day, in the Crows Nest, at 10:30- 11:30. HA will provide refreshments. I have been to several M & G's and they are always fun.

Hope to see you over there & on the ship! :)

Pat

ONLY 42 DAYS TILL VACATION!!! :D

The vista from an aft cabin , the generally larger balcony, the slightly wider room, the quieter feel, and the glorious wake will no doubt insure you have a wonderful cruise.:) We experienced very little motion and any that we did was just a gentle reminder that after all we were on the ocean. Have a great time, be warned though after having sailed in an aft cabin you may become an other member of the "afts forever" fan club.

H:)ppy Sailings.

If you are really subject to sea sickness, I would strongly suggest Bonine - no prescription needed and it does not make you sleepy. Start the day before embarkation. My wife swears by the stuff. As a retired Navy CPO, don't need the it;).

i would love to go to the meet and greet! Thanks for the invite. What a great way to meet other people. We are so looking forward to this vacation. See you there!

SO happy to hear that you will join us!! :) I'm going to attempt to post the link below - sometimes this works for me & sometimes it doesn't :confused:-

It would be great if you could stop by there; we are a friendly group & have been talking about excursions, dress codes, the ship, ect.

Only 6 more Saturdays & then it will be our turn on the Noordam! :D

Pat

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=316

I wouldn't think so, but apparently they do. We're on the Noordam now, on the stern on Deck 5. We're with a group of 30 Good Nuts, and have had the doctor and nurse on board dine at our table on both formal nights so far.

They told us they've been very busy with seasickness. With moderate seas, I find that strange, but I guess it depends upon the person.

We are booked into the stern/aft cabin 7145 for February. When I do a review I'll try to remember to mention the seasick part as I do get seasick. Usually a seasick pill takes care of it and I am fine for the rest of the trip no matter where my cabin is. I even get motion sickness on airplanes and cars so this should be a good test. :eek:

Well it sounds like most people are fine in the aft cabin so I'm not going to worry. Does anyone have suggestions as to what pills, remedies work best? Someone told me Tripease worked well. And when do you start taking them? The day before or the day of?

We sailed on the Noordam in an SC corner suite on deck 6. We left out of NY in March during very rough weather. I took the bonine that was effective for 24 hours before going to bed at night and also wore sea bands. Taking the medicine at night helped me sleep and did not make me tired during the day. Once we reached the Carribbean, the seas were very calm and no meds were necessary. Going home I did the same thing once we got near Florida. The seas were so rough on the way home to NY that we docked 3 hours late. You will love the Noordam. Have a great time!

Get yourself some Sea-Bands or TravelAide wristlets. They have a button on the inside that presses on your vagus nerve and keeps you from getting sick. They work wonders for me. If the seas are really rough, I take Bonine, too.

Drugstores generally have them and they usually carry them on the ship in the gift shop.

We have had 2 aft cabin experiences now and no problems with motion sickness either time. You do look back and to the side so that may bother some. The motion was fine. A bigger concern IMO is what is below and above your cabin. We were in an aft cabin directly above one of the lounges and the sound did carry.

Griswalds

Archived