Booking River Cruises - Self or Other?

4yanx

My wife and I are planning a 2009 river cruise, having been on several sea-going cruises in the past. We will most likely do a European tour on Uniworld, but some of the offerings from Viking and Avalon look good, too. I know we will come up with something we both like. We could even decide China since the exchange rate is in our favor and flights from SFO to China are more reasonable and shorter than to Europe.

Now, I don't want to step on any toes here, and I do know the value of having a travel agent for making certain arragements and connections. I have both booked myself and used a TA for a variety of travel, but having never done a river cruise nor sailed on any of these lines, we are a bit clueless. With respect to these river cruise lines (Uniworld, Viking, Avalon), are we better going through an agent or calling the company directly in order to get the best all around deal (price and connections)? It seems to me that air connections in order to put you at your embarkation point ON TIME and without too long of a wait would seem to be the crucial factor, beyond pricing. Any tips to the unwise from the wise, here? ;)

I have booked directly with the cruise lines, with AAA and with an on-line TA. The best discount I received was on my AMA Portugal trip through the on-line TA. I also received an additional AARP discount with him. I got no discounts, other than the standard "book early, pay early" discounts with the others; nothing additional.

I book our own air flights directly with the Air line.

If the cruise company is offerring a $199 or Free air, that is the air fare from a specific location or locations, such as JFK (New York) SFO (San Francisco). If you book with the cruise line the air arrangements will be from one of their "Air Cities" with a extra charge.

I fly from the Gulfport-Bilox Airport (Gulfport, MS) or Mobile, AL airport. I can usually book my air from GPT or MOB for the price offerred from JFK, SFO or other hub or even a lower price. On my last River Cruise I saved $1200 on air by booking our own ($600 extra from "air city" of New Orleans to JFK)

Advantage of booking own air: !. Set your departure time from home. 2. Set your departure time for your return to home. 3. Use the savings on air to fly in 1 or 2 days early.

Own our last River Cruise (VR "SURKOV" Oct 2008) VR air arrangements had people leaving the vessel at 3 AM for the airport.

We had a non-stop flight from Moscow to Atlanta at 12:45 PM departure.

If you are making your own air arrangements ask about getting a credit on your cabin for the "Special Air fare".

A good TA with River Cruise experience can offer you help with cabin choices, ports of calls, and other information. You may also receive a nice Ship Board credit or other gifts. By booking directly with the company you will get your booking and no extras.

MSEm

msem2 at cableone.net

I booked directly with Uniworld to take advantage of an early-bird discount and then asked if I could transfer the booking to my local travel agent as she usually handles all of my travel needs. This was not a problem at all. The cruise was booked and transferred to my local agent. She also watches for any 2 for 1 or other discounts as time goes on. She booked my airfare, utilizing my miles, and coordinated with Uniworld to ensure the best airfare deal. Also, we are taking the pre and post cruise options (Vienna & Lucerne). As a personal choice, we prefer to have a local agent to call for any issues or changes. It has proved to be very beneficial as we have received additional discounts on past cruises as well as more shipboard credits.

We sail April 29th, 2009 (soon) out of Vienna. Uniworld is offerring a discount again for upcoming cruises. Can't wait!

I booked directly with Uniworld to take advantage of an early-bird discount and then asked if I could transfer the booking to my local travel agent as she usually handles all of my travel needs. This was not a problem at all. The cruise was booked and transferred to my local agent. She also watches for any 2 for 1 or other discounts as time goes on. She booked my airfare, utilizing my miles, and coordinated with Uniworld to ensure the best airfare deal. Also, we are taking the pre and post cruise options (Vienna & Lucerne). As a personal choice, we prefer to have a local agent to call for any issues or changes. It has proved to be very beneficial as we have received additional discounts on past cruises as well as more shipboard credits.

We sail April 29h, 2009 (soon) out of Vienna. Uniworld is offerring a discount again for upcoming cruises. Can't wait!

We are sailing with Uniworld ( first river cruise) in November Basel to Vienna; would love to hear about your experience and excursions, especially if you do any optional ones. My email is lrumleyjr@triad.rr.com. We also did the same think that you did booked directly with uniworld and got the discount and then transferred to a TA, which Uniworld actually ask for our TA.

Thanks and have a great time on your cruise.

lmrumley

Archived