Tips for "Other Service Personnel"

FlyGirl22

Folks, who really cares? We cruise extensively; and, in the last two years we have met only two couples, on board, who took umbrage at auto or prepaid tipping. Simply stated, the amount is so reasonable that only someone who is very "frugal" would object to same. Additionally, the nomenclature for same is merely a matter of semantics. Those who devote an inordinate amount of their time to this matter might be better advised to devote their efforts to more productive endeavors.

Ditto.

If you notice, I didn't "jump" on the post. However some armchair warriors wish to sensationalize online discussions.

Anyhow, I'm more than open minded. You said you give cash envelope PLUS cash in a subsequent post and based on that, yes, I'll try something similar next time. If it puts a smile on someone's face, great.

Also please note I started my response with "to each his own".

And I again thank my boss for paying me with money.

I have to say the "candy" commented surprised me too. Though in theory it's cute, in the big scheme of things, if everyone gave candy as a tip, the staff would have a cabin full of candy and no extra cash. I do like the phone card idea though, since calling home for the crew can be expensive.

Here is how it is split.

The money you give to your room attendent is split between the Attendent and his/her assistant.

The $1.25 to "other personnel" goes to a pool which includes all the Assistant Housekeepers and the Chief Housekeeper.

The same thing in the dining room. There is a charge split in a pool for the Restaurant Manager and the Assistant Maitre d's and the Head Waiters and some others.

Makes sense to me.

Spence

Here is how it is split.

The money you give to your room attendent is split between the Attendent and his/her assistant.

The $1.25 to "other personnel" goes to a pool which includes all the Assistant Housekeepers and the Chief Housekeeper.

The same thing in the dining room. There is a charge split in a pool for the Restaurant Manager and the Assistant Maitre d's and the Head Waiters and some others.

Makes sense to me.

Spence

Yes, that's it...

Yes, I agree about people making poor excuses not to tip. "Frugal" reminds me of a passenger saying she wouldn't tip her cabin steward because she "didn't get TP". She was not "frugal" I thought "oh my, no TP !!! Not for the whole 10 day cruise!!!" It's no wonder we need a passenger laundry.

Here is how it is split.

Makes sense to me.

Spence

Hi,

Are you certain about this? I am really surprised that the Chief Housekeeper is included in this since he is an officer, I believe a two striper. Seems odd to me. The Asst. Chief Housekeeper I can understand. Just curious.

Anne :)

Hi,

Are you certain about this? I am really surprised that the Chief Housekeeper is included in this since he is an officer, I believe a two striper. Seems odd to me. The Asst. Chief Housekeeper I can understand. Just curious.

Anne :)

The Chief Housekeeper has always received a tip on Celebrity since their inception. I know it's weird but it has been the subject of many threads over the years on cruise critic.

We tip the auto amount and then give out extra cash on the last night as we see fit. The whole tipping thing takes about a minute of our lives. I have better things to do than quibble about a few bucks or worry about who gets what.

As blessed as we are I would feel ashamed to tip anything less than the suggested amount.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

We tip the auto amount and then give out extra cash on the last night as we see fit. The whole tipping thing takes about a minute of our lives. I have better things to do than quibble about a few bucks or worry about who gets what.

As blessed as we are I would feel ashamed to tip anything less than the suggested amount.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I concur; and, we do the same.

The hotel managers on Celebrity are all officers with stripe status.

The Restaurant Mgr is a 3 striper but doesnt wear a uniform. He gets tips along with his Assistant Matire d's who are 2 stripers.

The Chief House Keeper is a 3 Striper and the Assistants are 2 stripers, they wear their uniforms and do participate in the tip pool.

I know it sounds strange but the tipping is built into their pay so by not participating in the "other" tips you are hurting their income which in most cases gets sent home to support their family.

As stated above the amount is di minimus and no one is going argue over a $1.25 or $1.50.

I am a big fan of the automatic tipping!!

Spence

Whoa, at no point did I say I did not do auto tips or that I undertip, or that I leave no tip at all. :eek::eek::eek: I think auto tipping is one of the smartest things Celebrity has done and it should, imo, not be able to be changed. I was just asking for clarification.

Please, please do not lump me with the non tippers. Now I need a shower. :(

Anne

Whoa, at no point did I say I did not do auto tips or that I undertip, or that I leave no tip at all. :eek::eek::eek: I think auto tipping is one of the smartest things Celebrity has done and it should, imo, not be able to be changed. I was just asking for clarification.

Please, please do not lump me with the non tippers. Now I need a shower. :(

Anne

OK Anne, I've struck your name from the blacklist of 'cheap non-tippers' and put you under the goldengirl list of 'extravagant tipping show-offs'. Apparently, according to these types of threads, those are the only two choices we have.

I'll go with extravagant tipping show-off! Sounds so nice and sooooo like me!

Denny

The $1.25/day for "Alternative Service" is divided up amongst various Housekeeping staff, not including the stateroom attendant. This would include the stateroom attendant's assistant. He/she cleans the restrooms or brings room service but did not get gratuities in the past.

Given the amount of consternation this $1.25 charge has caused, Celebrity would be well-advised to include this particular charge in the fare, and increase the salary of the "alternative service" personnel by the few pennies this "gratuity" will provide.

No one will notice the $1.25 per day addition to the cruise fare, but they may notice that their daily gratuity is reduced, and best of all, they won't have to worry about who these unseen people are that they have been requested to tip.

[quote name='elena7seas']Given the amount of consternation this $1.25 charge has caused, Celebrity would be well-advised to include this particular charge in the fare, and increase the salary of the "alternative service" personnel by the few pennies this "gratuity" will provide.

No one will notice the $1.25 per day addition to the cruise fare, but they may notice that their daily gratuity is reduced, and best of all, they won't have to worry about who these unseen people are that they have been requested to tip.[/quote]

Better yet they should put the entire auto tip into the fare and advertise "all gratuities included" cruises. But would leave CC'r's with less to talk about. :rolleyes:

[quote name='spencerdrivecruiser']The hotel managers on Celebrity are all officers with stripe status.

The Restaurant Mgr is a 3 striper but doesnt wear a uniform. He gets tips along with his Assistant Matire d's who are 2 stripers.

The Chief House Keeper is a 3 Striper and the Assistants are 2 stripers, they wear their uniforms and do participate in the tip pool.

I know it sounds strange but the tipping is built into their pay so by not participating in the "other" tips you are hurting their income which in most cases gets sent home to support their family.

As stated above the amount is di minimus and no one is going argue over a $1.25 or $1.50.

I am a big fan of the automatic tipping!!

Spence[/quote]

Thanks so much for the education. It amazes me that I did not know about this re: officers. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. :)

Anne

[quote name='cruzmaven']Better yet they should put the entire auto tip into the fare and advertise "all gratuities included" cruises. But would leave CC'r's with less to talk about. :rolleyes:[/quote]
If they did that people would then argue about how much "extra" we should give, they do now!!

[quote name='elena7seas']Given the amount of consternation this $1.25 charge has caused, Celebrity would be well-advised to include this particular charge in the fare, and increase the salary of the "alternative service" personnel by the few pennies this "gratuity" will provide.

No one will notice the $1.25 per day addition to the cruise fare, but they may notice that their daily gratuity is reduced, and best of all, they won't have to worry about who these unseen people are that they have been requested to tip.[/quote]

I agree! It owuld change the whole picture I feel.:)

Archived