Passports for kids

Rudi610

My family and I are traveling on the Disney Magic at Easter (Eastern Caribbean). I know that his is before the passport regulations go in effect on June 1. Would it still be a good idea to get passports for my kids (ages 11, 8, and 5 at the time of the cruise)? With a little over 2 months to go, is it too late to apply for passports for them? I am leaning towards getting them (maybe considering a trip to Canada or other cruises in the next few years). Thanks.

Rudi

They say 3 week turn around but ours came in two for my kiddos. I am still waiting on my renewal but it was mailed separate.

It is pricey though! Minors are $65 a piece and then the $25 "execution fee" that goes to the agent who takes your paperwork, administers the oath, etc. Ugh!

Remember, both parents have to appear if minors are under 16 years of age. You can get a notarized statement signed by the other parent if it is a major inconvience. I just dragged my DH out of work and over to the PO during his lunch break.

Incidently, the PO gave me such a hard time about my girls' photos because their very, very blond hair kept turning orange in the flash. They finally took the photos after 4 attempts. I got their books back and their photos even oranger. I am the pround mommy of a carrot (my 3 year old) and a tomato (my infant)! I will probably turn out to be a pumpkin on mine!

You got me on the 'mommy of a carrot and a tomato'. That will teach me to be eating lunch while I read these forums. I am now going to have to clean the food off the screen after laughing out loud at your comment. :)

I'd get them. I was leaning toward the passport card but after reading on CC I thought better and got them the regular passport. Better safe than sorry.

And belive it or not, we got our kids passports back in 1 week after applying for them! I could not believe it. I'm shocked that anything in Government could move that fast. (That was in August.)

I'd get them. I was leaning toward the passport card but after reading on CC I thought better and got them the regular passport. Better safe than sorry.

And belive it or not, we got our kids passports back in 1 week after applying for them! I could not believe it. I'm shocked that anything in Government could move that fast. (That was in August.)

We applied on Friday Dec. 26, 2008 and our passports arrived on Friday Jan. 2, 2009. 7 days with a weekend & a major holiday during the week as well. Our birth certificates arrived on Monday Jan. 5th. It was very quick!!

My cousin was telling about the passport card. They are planning on getting those for their kids. Can someone fill me in on the difference and the pros and cons?

Long story short, a passport card can not be used for air travel. It only facilitates travel between land borders.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

JMHO, but I'd spend the few extra bucks and get the book.

As someone who got caught up in the last passport crunch and nearly missed a trip to Spain after waiting 19 weeks for a passport, I say the sooner the better!

Just an FYI though: The new passport rules do not apply to closed loop cruises leaving from the US. A BC and ID will still work if you don't have to fly internationally.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

We really didn't need them, but we decided to get our kids passports for our upcoming Caribbean cruise. It only took about a week and a half to get them back (in January). I just feel better that they have an official I.D., especially with travel requirements constantly changing. I would rather not carry around their official birth certificate, since those can be a pain to replace if lost.

Jennifer

We dont need to get a passport for our 19 month old correct? A BC will do? So what is the age one would want to get a passport for a child?

Ok nevermind. I just answered my own question on trave.state.gov. It states that children under 16 will not require a passport but a valid BC. This is even after the new regs which go into effect in June 2009

Our kids all have passports. Our blonde fair skinned sons also look a bit orange on their photos. :)

We applied for our daughters passport on Dec 28th and got hers on Jan 24th (we had to send in additional paperwork though also so it slowed it a bit).

• 3 weeks later...
:o

Not sure of what exact information is held on a passport.... Do I still need to take along Birth Certificate for 11yr old Daughter if she has her passport?

Does a passport really hold info on mother and father? :o

If your daughter has a passport, you do not need to bring her birth certificate for ID; you had to provide the BC to get the passport.

Not sure what your question is about parent info on the passport.

If your daughter has a passport, you do not need to bring her birth certificate for ID; you had to provide the BC to get the passport.

Not sure what your question is about parent info on the passport.

Well... our last names are different she has her Fathers last name and I still use my maiden name, with that being said, by the look of her passport will they be able to pull up the info used to apply for passport to show that he and I ARE her parents even tho we use different last names?

I think after reading other stories i have seen here.... Its a better bet to just take her BC along also, after all its not like its gonna add any weight to my handbag. Its better safe than sorry.

Archived