Advice on doing DISNEYWORLD before cruise

beachbumsinpa

We would like to take our kids to Disneyworld before our cruise. Does anyone have any advise for us on hotels, tickets, transfers???

Thanks

Hi,:) it really depends on what you are looking to do, how much

you want to spend, etc.

If you go to the Disney website all the prices for all the parks

will be listed. How many days are you visiting? There are lots

of choices..The Magic Kingdom, Epcot, MGM and Animal Kingdom.

There are tons of hotels outside the parks. There are also the

ones on property so you are on the grounds but of course they

are much more $$$.

Are you cruising with Disney too? If so, you might check over

on the Disney forum as well.

Here is a good website I found on Google for you.

Hopefully it will help you a bit:)

http://hotels.orlandovacation.com/

And here is the Disney site:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/

We stayed at the Buena Vista Suites for only $99/night. They offered scheduled free service to Disneyworld. We opted for Epcot (a great choice). It had rides for people in our party and plenty of sights to see for others. Some of us comtemplated spending the extra $50 for park hopper priviledges but thought better of it. We didn't even have enough time for Epcot alone. We drove back to Miami the next day. It was a nice easy 4-hour drive on the Florida Turnpike (about $15 toll).

We have combined trips to WDW with cruises several times. Unless you are very experienced with WDW, I suggest looking at a website dedicated to "all thing Disney" www dot Intercot dot com; consider using the TA's that are sponsored by Intercot (we have used them many times- they're reliable!).

Things to consider: are you driving? renting a car in Orlando? do you want to stay on-site? how long? do you have young kids? ages?

You have time to research. WDW discount codes are not out this far in advance (except for AAA discounts- which you can get using the TA's at Intercot, not just by using AAA). We always figured that once we drove down to FL we might as well do as much as possible, so we've combined WDW with cruises from Tampa, Port Canaveral and Miami.

In all honesty you can stay at a WDW Value resort for just as cheap as most hotels. I've seen rates as low as $89 a night depending on what time of year it is. Disney is running some good deals right now. If you go to their website be sure to click on specials. Also if you call make sure you ask the agent what the specials are. They can not tell you unless you ask. What port are you cruising from? If you are cruising from Port Canaveral the easiest thing to do would be to fly into MCO and use Disney's Magic express and their bus transportation for your Disney portion of the trip. Magic Express is free transportation to and from MCO to their resorts. They provide free bus service to all of the parks and activities from their resorts. When it's time for you to go you just take the magic express back to the airport and use your cruise lines transportation to the port. If you are cruising out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami it would be best to rent a car to drive the distance. It's a good 5 hrs from Disney to Fort Lauderdale.

The nice thing about staying on property at a Disney hotel is it's easy to take a break during the day. Hop on the bus and go back to your hotel for a nap, rest, swim, etc. and then head out again late aft. for fireworks, evening parades, etc.

With kids 6 & 8 I would stay on property if at all possible if you are going to go to WDW for more than 1 day. It is so big and tiring and the kids are so excited it wears them out! W always went back to the room in the afternoon to relax and unwind before heading back in the evening to see the parades and lights---WDW is very different and beautiful at night. Even with a nap my DD who was 8 at the time still fell asleep most nights on the shuttle back to the hotel. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

The price from Orlando International to Port Canaveral using the Carnival shuttle is 35pp one way or 70 roundtrip per person. Here is the link from the Carnival website:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/Airport_and_Pier_Transfers/pdf/Orlando08.pdf

I also agree that it is easier to stay at one of the Disney resorts while visiting WDW... The value resorts are nice and you can usually get them at a great price.. plus you have all of the perks of staying on disney like the free transportation. ;)

Definitely stay at WDW and use the Magical Express to get from Airport to Hotel. To make it really easy on you, book a meal plan also. They have several options, but I think the best one for the money with younger kids that don't eat a lot is the Counter Service plan. It gives you 2 counter service meals for every night you stay in a resort per person, 2 snacks per night per person, and 1 insulated mug that gives you unlimited sodas/coffee at the food courts. I think it is $29.99 per night per adult, and less than $10 a night for kids under 10.

The value resorts are great. If you think you need more room, look at the All Star Movie resort. They have family suites that are a like 2 rooms together, with a small kitchen area and 2 bathrooms!!

Next to cruising going to WDW is our favorite trip! We have combined both a couple of times and dang it wore us out! Take WDW first then the cruise to rest up..LOL

http://www.disboards.com is the best site to get info on all things Disney. Stay at POP Century- your kids will love it and you parents will love the price! We have stayed here a couple times and found very clean rooms and the friendlest people working there! Good food court too with just about anything you would want. Disney is really offering some great rates this year you can go right to the disney website to get prices and book on your own.

POP is a 'value' resort but it should mean- great value for your disney dollar!

You get free transportation from the airport if you stay at a disney hotel, the bus service to the parks is great too. You can use a towncar service to get you to the port or rent a car,it is an easy drive taking about an hour from WDW property.

Bev

We've done WDW more times than we can count, and have twice combined it with a cruise. Definitely do Disney first--it will wear you out and you'll be glad for the week on the cruise ship afterwards.

There are some great WDW specials going right now, like pay for 4 nights, get 3 nights free (hotel and park tickets). But if you're looking for a Disney stay before the cruise in your ticker, those promotions will be over before next January. But there will be other specials by then, especially if the economy remains in a slump. January (after New Year's) is a great time to go to WDW--it's considered "value" season so rooms are cheaper and crowds are fairly low.

Definitely spend some time over on disboards dot com--I've gotten some great deals and tips from there (just like I have here for cruises!).

Any other questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Archived