Dressing up and looking all fancy in the evenings

kooljamming

Most of the ladies in our group wear evening gowns on formal nights and on casual nights, cocktail dresses, palazzo pants with sparkly tops and the like. The men wore tuxes on formal nights and nice trousers and dress shirts on casual nights. We don't really worry about what other folks are wearing because we are enjoying ourselves and that is the way we like to dress! :) Of course as far as high heels go... I love them, and wear them every night of the cruise!

I believe I have only been on two cruises where I saw fellow passengers (two men) wearing something that actually caught my attention and that was only because I saw far too much of their backside when they got up from the table! :eek:

Wear what you like and enjoy yourself... that is truly what a cruise is all about!

Happy cruising,

VB1

I can only speak for my husband and i, we are in the minority but we dress in sequins (me) and tux and dinner jackets (he) every nite of every cruise, we love it and so do most other passengers, altho i am sure some think we are nuts.........but as we have been told by many, YOU CAN NEVER BE OVERDRESSED..........please take your fancy dudes and cruise as everyone use to do.........you will be pleased that you did and the crew loves it. We will be on the Sapphire in 5 weeks, our #104 cruise.

Ah yes, as my mother used to say, "It is always better to be overdressed than underdressed". (One of those rules of etiquette pounded into my head). Go with what you enjoy. You will look great. After a hot sweaty day in the sun, it feels good to shower, dress in nice clothes, and go to a nice dinner.

Most of the ladies in our group wear evening gowns on formal nights and on casual nights, cocktail dresses, palazzo pants with sparkly tops and the like. The men wore tuxes on formal nights and nice trousers and dress shirts on casual nights. We don't really worry about what other folks are wearing because we are enjoying ourselves and that is the way we like to dress! :) Of course as far as high heels go... I love them, and wear them every night of the cruise!

I believe I have only been on two cruises where I saw fellow passengers (two men) wearing something that actually caught my attention and that was only because I saw far too much of their backside when they got up from the table! :eek:

Wear what you like and enjoy yourself... that is truly what a cruise is all about!

Happy cruising,

VB1

Please tell me what they were wearing - thongs without a top!! WOW - that would be very casual.

Ron

Please tell me what they were wearing - thongs without a top!! WOW - that would be very casual.

Ron

Let's just say if they were wearing a thong I would've known... it was just TMI at dinner! :o

No matter... it just added to the entertainment value of a cruise!

Let's just say if they were wearing a thong I would've known... it was just TMI at dinner! :o

No matter... it just added to the entertainment value of a cruise!

Well, after 23 Princess cruises, we still think that a cruise vacation is a "special" thing - and - we do two a year. It is much better than parking your fifth wheel in an RV park and mingling with the XXXXXX. Just my opinion.

Ron

Well, after 23 Princess cruises, we still think that a cruise vacation is a "special" thing - and - we do two a year. It is much better than parking your fifth wheel in an RV park and mingling with the XXXXXX. Just my opinion.

Ron

I love the whole cruise experience and long for the time when I can do more than two a year... :D

Happy cruising to you!

VB1

Pauline, I almost always wear dresses (or skirts) with high-heeled sandals on smart casual nights. I look at it this way: the ambiance of the main dining rooms is similar to a fine restaurant on land: waiters in jacket & tie, white tablecloths, fine china, etc., and I would wear dressy attire to that kind of restaurant on land. Therefore even if it's smart-casual night onboard, I don't feel inappropriately overdressed. A sequin or beaded dress may be over the top, but I could see wearing an LBD or anything that's between formalwear and smart-casual. Capris and slacks but they're something I wear every day anyway: I like to put a little more pizzazz into my evening attire, otherwise why bother to shower and do my hair and put on nighttime makeup?!

um...now im scared!!!

i have a gothic lolita tea party dress i was going to wear to formal night on Golden Princess, but the smart casual thing the rest of the time is scary.

my husband and i, well, we are quite literally rock band t-shirt and jeans...he wears that to work, since he drives large trucks and loads stuff, and i do wear business casual at work, but the second im in the door im out of that stuff and into my favorite jeans and shirts.

so...what do we do? He has a pair of s

lacks somewhere and some nice shirts.

97% of our clothing is black..he hates doing our laundry because its a sea of darkness and he has to sort his and mine and the ids' clothes lol.

i dont want to out-do him clothing wise, but i want us both to be comfortable, and not get into trouble for wearing something we werent suppiosed to...I dont really care if we fit in fashion wise, I prefer not to actually, BUT i dont want to be singled out in the dining room and told to change clothes like its high school again.

Any suggestions??

Jeans sans holes will work on any night except formal night. Men will need a shirt with collar such as a polo shirt or similar. If the jeans are black, they may get by on formal nights particularly if a sport coat is worn. At dinner, pax come through the door rather quickly so they only get a quick look at what you are wearing. Men's pants including khaki with a button collared shirt will work on formal night.

Ha I was on the Grand for your December cruise and if you had spotted me you would have said "Oh a guy in a suit!". Mind you that was what I was wearing when I got on board and if my luggage had arrived with me I would have changed!

So you were there with us and you did not introduce yourself? ;) You traveled in a suit most likely on an airplane? That alone is different. After spending 20 years flying all over the US every week, I can certainly testify to what people wear on airplanes these days. I was often upgraded to first class since I was platinum. Luckily due to my job I did not have to wear a suit or sport coat as well as a tie.

Back in the 70's and before people would dress up to board an airplane. People on cruise ships also would dress up. When I started working in the early 70's I was required to wear nice pants, long sleeved shirt and tie. People dressed up to go to church, etc. Society has become more casual over the last 20 years or so. We have casual Fridays now at work, people wear just about anything on airplanes and pax are showing up on cruise ships dressed casual. This is particularly true of Caribbean and Mexican Riviera cruises. The world is in constant change. You can live in the past or in the present. Carnival has dropped formal nights. How long before the other cruise lines adopt the same policy out of necessity? Carnival, Princess, Royal and others are all competing for the same mass market passenger.

. . . Society has become more casual over the last 20 years or so. We have casual Fridays now at work, people wear just about anything on airplanes and pax are showing up on cruise ships dressed casual. This is particularly true of Caribbean and Mexican Riviera cruises. The world is in constant change. You can live in the past or in the present. Carnival has dropped formal nights. How long before the other cruise lines adopt the same policy out of necessity? Carnival, Princess, Royal and others are all competing for the same mass market passenger.

I'm not living in the past; my dinner out this evening at a restaurant where most of the men were in coat and tie was very much in the present, thank you. Plenty of offices DON'T have casual Fridays; no one I know would dream of showing up to a place of worship wearing Dockers, and Nordstrom still carries way more dresses and suits than pairs of jeans, so to me the world hasn't changed a bit! But hey, whatever. . . . . Anyway, why are you pouring cold water on our fun "let's get dressed up and look all fancy" thread??

For Princess it also depends on the cruise length, the longer the cruise the more "formal" I find them to be. With more sea days the ladies have the time to "attend" to the details.

Myself and my husband we tend to lean towards the more formal even on casual nights, this is our preference and that is what a vacation is about... Filling your desires and wishes. If dressing formal is your wishes then take these posts in stride but certainly dont feel uncomfortable that you are overdressed.... In all of our cruises I have never felt overdressed, just really happy with my own personal decisions.

I'm not living in the past; my dinner out this evening at a restaurant where most of the men were in coat and tie was very much in the present, thank you. Plenty of offices DON'T have casual Fridays; no one I know would dream of showing up to a place of worship wearing Dockers, and Nordstrom still carries way more dresses and suits than pairs of jeans, so to me the world hasn't changed a bit! But hey, whatever. . . . . Anyway, why are you pouring cold water on our fun "let's get dressed up and look all fancy" thread??

This is the official dress-up and get fancy thread:D. There is enough information on how casual one can get, or to get around the dress code. If living in the past is a place where dressing for the occasion means something, and guys open the door for the lovely ladies, then I like that place. It's good to hear that people still find pleasure in looking nice and dressing for the occasion. Cruising is still an extremely special occasion for me. It represents much elegance and grandeur but not the expense that was once associated with it. I am feeling pretty already:D

This is the official dress-up and get fancy thread:D. There is enough information on how casual one can get, or to get around the dress code. If living in the past is a place where dressing for the occasion means something, and guys open the door for the lovely ladies, then I like that place. It's good to hear that people still find pleasure in looking nice and dressing for the occasion. Cruising is still an extremely special occasion for me. It represents much elegance and grandeur but not the expense that was once associated with it. I am feeling pretty already:D

Since I'd assume that's you in your sig, I wouldn't worry... you'll knock 'em dead!! :D

um...now im scared!!!

i have a gothic lolita tea party dress i was going to wear to formal night on Golden Princess, but the smart casual thing the rest of the time is scary.

my husband and i, well, we are quite literally rock band t-shirt and jeans...he wears that to work, since he drives large trucks and loads stuff, and i do wear business casual at work, but the second im in the door im out of that stuff and into my favorite jeans and shirts.

so...what do we do? He has a pair of s

lacks somewhere and some nice shirts.

97% of our clothing is black..he hates doing our laundry because its a sea of darkness and he has to sort his and mine and the ids' clothes lol.

i dont want to out-do him clothing wise, but i want us both to be comfortable, and not get into trouble for wearing something we werent suppiosed to...I dont really care if we fit in fashion wise, I prefer not to actually, BUT i dont want to be singled out in the dining room and told to change clothes like its high school again.

Any suggestions??

Oh, gosh, tonight my 11-yr-old was just explaining to her dad the various types of Lolita wear.

Black seems to be the favorite color for the students at her middle school.

We cruised on 10th January on Ruby with our two adult children and their partners and our two grandchildren.

On the two formal nights we three women dressed accordingly, as did the men who wore black suits and ties, including our 5 year old grandson who had just been bought his first proper suit. He wanted to look like his Dad (even down to proper cufflinks).

However, on smart casual nights our children and their partners did wear jeans. These were smart, designer jeans and no one paid any attention to them at all and they were certainly not turned away at the dining room.

Ah yes, as my mother used to say, "It is always better to be overdressed than underdressed". (One of those rules of etiquette pounded into my head). Go with what you enjoy. You will look great. After a hot sweaty day in the sun, it feels good to shower, dress in nice clothes, and go to a nice dinner.

Yea, in a nice pair of jeans with a comfortable pole shirt. Nothing like it. ;)

we just got back from the emerald princess.on formal night its not cocktail or very formal dresses that got my attention but the fact that the dresses were mostly black[about 15 white dresses and about 10 red dresses only one or two light blue or other colors].most men were in suits or kilts a few in tuxs .as for smart casual nights some ladies wore dresses but most dressed in black slacks and dressy blouses. men looked sharp in collar shirts and nice slacks. but all most all stayed dressup all night [7pm-

past midnight]even in the buffet.oddly on island night men wore hawian shirt

but only a couple of ladys wore island dresses.hope this helps

You saw men in suits and wearing ties on other than formal nights? Which Ruby cruise were you on? Certainly not any Princess cruise I've been on lately. (and I've been on a lot of them). Your lucky if a man wears a tie on formal night! And women wearing dresses? Hardly ever. Most women wear pants or capris, especially on caribbean or mexican itineraries.

I'm not sure about other Princess ships but I can assure you that on the CB, Tuxedos (30%) Dark Suits (60%) and formal dresses on the women are without a doubt the norm on formal nights. As for other nights plenty of men in suit jackets and ties in the dining rooms as well as women dressed up. I agree with the previous poster if you enjoy dressing up, do it, it's your vacation, just like the people who don't like to dress up on their vacations..i assure you I say NO women on formal night in capris pants in the dining rooms, maybe the buffet...

this is the official dress-up and get fancy thread:d. There is enough information on how casual one can get, or to get around the dress code. If living in the past is a place where dressing for the occasion means something, and guys open the door for the lovely ladies, then i like that place. It's good to hear that people still find pleasure in looking nice and dressing for the occasion. Cruising is still an extremely special occasion for me. It represents much elegance and grandeur but not the expense that was once associated with it. I am feeling pretty already:d

ditto~~~~~

Since I'd assume that's you in your sig, I wouldn't worry... you'll knock 'em dead!! :D

Things get pretty fancy here in Hemet for Bingo night:D

we just got back from the emerald princess.on formal night its not cocktail or very formal dresses that got my attention but the fact that the dresses were mostly black[about 15 white dresses and about 10 red dresses only one or two light blue or other colors].most men were in suits or kilts a few in tuxs .as for smart casual nights some ladies wore dresses but most dressed in black slacks and dressy blouses. men looked sharp in collar shirts and nice slacks. but all most all stayed dressup all night [7pm-

past midnight]even in the buffet.oddly on island night men wore hawian shirt

but only a couple of ladys wore island dresses.hope this helps

Black does the body good. I have the 'little black dress' in three different sizes and amazingly they all fit. It's easy to accentuate the positive and deemphasis the negatives. Throw in a good wonder bra, some heels, a nice pocket book, and not sure about comfortable, but boy you could be looking good:D

On our last cruise, I brought a tux and a white dinner jacket. Also brought a three-in-one suit and two sport coats. Dressed up almost every night.:) The reason for this, is that if I hadn't my DW would make me walk three paces behind her and one pace to the her right:eek:

Wear what you want, enjoy yourself and the cruise.

At my minimal 5'5", 3" heels are my standard for daily wear. However, I can confirm that when the ship starts rocking- eek! I took off a chunk of my arm crashing into a painting in the hallway last cruise! I still have a mark! I bought sensible kitten heels for this trip!!

And I say dress up if you feel into it! I'm a dresses at the mall kind of girl so for a cruise- well, cruises I go all out! Cheers to looking beautiful!! Whether it's LBD's (little black dresses) or sequined gowns- I'm into it!!

Oh, and DH only gets to wear his tux twice a year- on the cruise and for an annual work function- and I look forward to both all year!!

We are heading out on the Emerald next month, I plane on bring 4 cocktail dresses 3 of them are black different styles and two hawaiian style dresses and the rest are seperates. I say go for dressing up I'm looking forward to it. For me 2" high heels are my limit.

Have a fabulous cruise.

Christine

Archived