COLUMBIA GLACIER CRUISE–VALDEZ, have you booked or been on this excursion?

ShibaInuMom

I assume you're looking at Stan Stephens cruises to do this... they're the most famous in Valdez. The glacier is EXCELLENT and the whole experience is wonderul. I'd book this in a hearbeat.

Also, hit up the Valdez museum while you're in town. I did it a few years ago and although small, was happy I went. They've done a great job telling about more than just the quake and spill.

Finally, make sure to be on deck when you sail into Valdez. It's especially calm in the mornings... my favorite time of day in Alaska for photos.

It's sort of like eating on the Lido deck :) If only our stomachs were as big as our eyes.

I think you're on to something with this excursion... IMO it's the best thing to do in Valdez, except fishing. The town itself is in a great scenic area, but so is all of coastal Alaska. Without a small boat excursion from here, I fear you'll leave wondering why the ship brought you to Valdez to begin with.

I would vote to keep this one on your itinerary.

I did a Columbia Glacier kayak tour and it's the best thing I've ever done in 2 trips to Alaska. The boat trip is of course a little different, but it should be great. Keep in mind that you don't actually see the face of the glacier or any calving, but you should see lots of floating ice.

Valdez is my favorite Alaska town, You are so lucky to be doing that great cruise. Have fun!

I also highly recommend Stan Stephens and have gone with them a few times. With Columbia Glacier, it is always choked with ice, but that is the highlight. Ice the size of buildings, I'll speculate they never get within a great view of the glacier. So if that is a priority, be sure to also consider another glacier excursion either out of Whittier or Seward.

Archived