LIVE from Explorer with a bad propellor 2/1/09

megr1125

We have been to St. Thomas a number of times and the best place to visit is the Skyride just outside the pier. Wonderful view from there..They also have a webcam which shows the pier and surrounding area 24 hours a day. You can also see the Explorer in port today which looks like there is a crane near the rear of the ship.. The website is ridetheview.net

We have been to St. Thomas a number of times and the best place to visit is the Skyride just outside the pier. Wonderful view from there..They also have a webcam which shows the pier and surrounding area 24 hours a day. You can also see the Explorer in port today which looks like there is a crane near the rear of the ship.. The website is ridetheview.net

Thanks for the link! :)

I AGREE 100% with you about Meg. People are missing the point. I'm tired of people making speculations and etc., thinking they know it all:mad: All they are doing is scaring everyone on upcoming sailings. :mad::mad:

Let's all wait to see what Meg reports and be happy we have someone on board to fill us in.

Thanks MEG!

I think you're missing the point. Meg is TRYING to help out here and has promised to answer any questions. If there are lots of extraneous posts she has to spend her own money just trawling through them all in order to reach any relevant questions - and goodness knows anyone who has tried to use the internet on ship knows how long this takes :rolleyes: Her point is that in order to reach any relevant posts she has to wade through all the c***

With all due respect I think we are likely to get a much better picture of what's happening from someone actually on the ship than from a website which may not be accurate anyway.

MY DW is on this cruise. I am still here. We have some good posts here about why it is could be difficult to repair the propeller, the Hudson river is too murky to repair the damage, along with the cold water. It makes sense what they are doing. I lived is south Florida for 23 years, so I have experienced what the water is like done there. Some posts don't want to spend a day at sea. Some don't care, they like them. I am part of the latter group, having done 5 TA cruises. To each his own. Thanks to the editor for providing the input. CC has been a valuable source of information since I first discovered it several years ago.

BTW, I am a Steelers fan. Steelers rule. 6 rings. Way to go.

Fran your DW is being a good girl and not getting into too much trouble with her fellow polar explorers and other pals!!

If anyone can get pictures, it would be appreciated. Would love to see just how much damage there was.

Howard...no luck so far...there is a BOG crane next to the ship....but they have the pier kind of roped off so you can't really get close enough to get pictures......last time we could walk from one end to the other....Hmmm....

but i will try again......

Crazy that they can't fix the CAPP machine in CL until they get back to San Juan on the next cruise. Surely someone in Jersey knows how to fix one...or better yet if no parts are needed surely someone on the tech staff of the ship could get on the phone with someone shore based and walk thru how to fix it.

Hope you get your Capp/Hot Chocolate/Coffee as you want it even outside of the CL.

Happy Sailing!!!

Dave...actually they can fix it in Bayonne (or try...)...the ship's people can't as it would invalidate the contract....bummer....i was hoping to swing by the bahamas and grab the one from NOS!!:p

NOW....back to our regularly scheduled thread...

to those who support and defend me.....thanks VERY much!!!!:D

Those who don't like it...take a hike! :rolleyes:

We began to pull into port about 2:40 AM....i woke up for some reason...looked out and saw LAND..(ok, so lights!) And there was a tug hanging out on our port side..taking flash pix of us at 3AM!!:eek: (Like they never see ships in STT????)

We were done docking by about 3:30 AM and i went back to sleep!

It's GORGEOUS here today...a little hot, but LOVELY! Grabbed some breakkie quick and went to Kmart! Came back, had a little lunch and headed off to the internet cafe next to the pier.

We can see a crane and I heard on the security radio that the divers were ready. Apparently they have been in and out of the water a few times. Can't really see anything, but I'll have another look. Took a few pix, but you can't see anything, and my card reader is flaking out, thus I can't post them!:mad:

We are in port in front of Emerald Princess....and i think the Coral (or maybe Crown) is docked in Crown bay (?) with the Noordam.

Most people got off the ship early....not sure what everyone will do til 10:30 as the stores are all closing around 6:30 tonight.

Let's see....back to embarkation....parking is BEFORE the terminal...and the traffic is still bad...the worst part of the drive was getting from the entrance to the pier up to the drop off area......other than that, it was really easy...we left the hotel at 10:30--or a little before (our car from balck exec cars was 20 minutes early..>GREAT company!) and we were seated in the suite area by 11:15. Boarding starting around 11:45!

To be honest, I haven't heard many, if any complaints about missing SJ.. Sure, a couple people were bummed to miss ziplining, but no real irate guests!:) I think everyone is making the best of their OBC! But, it was sure nice to see land!!!

• Administrators

It's a shame people cannot appreciate the fact that it costs people time and money to post from the ship -- forget about recognizing the fact that they are taking time from their own vacations to do so.

I think you have to respect what they ask of you in their thread -- yes, it is open to all but courtesy should be playing a major role in this type of thread.

Our guidelines clearly state you cannot post links to travel agency sites. Mentioning sites, and people posting their email addresses really is simply BORING to everyone reading the thread. Imagine now, having to pay to read those posts from a ship while devoting your hard earned vacation time.

I'd like to thank Meg for sharing up-to-the minute reports about Explorer of the Seas prop issues. And ask each of you to take the above into account when you post here.

Imagine now, having to pay to read those posts from a ship while devoting your hard earned vacation time.

quote]

This is very true. It must be very expensive and time consuming to try and help future passengers by posting what's going on. You have said something that I've been thinking.

Meg...I'm so happy to hear it's hot there in St. Thomas...it's freezing at home... Have a great time and thanks so much for keeping us posted. I really appreciate what you are doing:)

Enjoy the rest of your Trip:D

Thanks...

we are TRYING to keep Ex in good shape for y'all cruising in the next couple weeks...

Food has been good...BUT WJ has been PACKED....and so has the DR for breakfast and lunch...they opened Portofino for more seating!!!!:eek: (I guess it's too be expected when it's cold out but gee whiz....i think EVERYONE showed up at the same time.....)

There's only 12 kids on the ship! Haven't seen or heard much from them....thankfully!;)

I know a couple people have asked about noise from above....if you book a cabin, say, UNDER the Royal suite...you WILL hear the piano...and footsteps on the marble....I am not quite sure why RC would put a piano in a cabin......but i will not book 9618 again....back to 9318 for us!

No chocolates, no towel animals (yet...i think tonight i will be proactive and MAKE one....) the coupons for free photos and slot credits were torn out of the books...(according to the GR manager, the photo coupon is gone due to the photo contractor not wanting to give them out!)

What else.....Hmm..we DO have the nicer toiletries in our cabin as well as the stuff on the wall....

We ran into exactly ONE very rude crew member...and not to be un-patriotic, he's from the US of A......(and i ran into him on the street in STT...he was being mean to the person on the other end of his cell phone too!!!:eek:)

I'll be here a little longer....people are starting to smoke in here (a bar/pool/internet cafe thing by the pier) so i may split....2 bucks for 5 hours of wireless ain't bad though....

so....if anyone is out there, speak now!!!

nice pic (stalker!!) that's about all we can see...Hmmm...those people on Emerald have a better view...wonder if i can sneak on to that ship????:confused::D

well kids...i am off.......i will stop by tonight....i may get bored and come back here...(the purple frozen thing was good) and even if i spend 2 bucks for an hour, beats ths ship!!!!

PLUS it will be nice to get some pix of Ex..>AND i can play with my little video camera......those FLIP things are the BEST........Sooooo cool.....i taped the whole bellyflop competition...maybe i will put that on webshots for y'all!! (the rest of them need to be edited together......)

later!

It's a shame people cannot appreciate the fact that it costs people time and money to post from the ship -- forget about recognizing the fact that they are taking time from their own vacations to do so.

I think you have to respect what they ask of you in their thread -- yes, it is open to all but courtesy should be playing a major role in this type of thread.

Our guidelines clearly state you cannot post links to travel agency sites. Mentioning sites, and people posting their email addresses really is simply BORING to everyone reading the thread. Imagine now, having to pay to read those posts from a ship while devoting your hard earned vacation time.

I'd like to thank Meg for sharing up-to-the minute reports about Explorer of the Seas prop issues. And ask each of you to take the above into account when you post here.

I would like to echo what Laura stated above. Thank you for all of the information that you are providing. For those of us that are sailing soon on the explorer (I am not until Halloween) and for all of us that just love her, you are providing a valuable service.

Meg...you're amazing posting from ST. Thomas...

I know people that came of the Explorer on Sunday and told me no Chocolates anymore but they said they had the Towel Animals. I wonder why they aren't doing them this cruise:confused: Don't they have a class for that???

I hope the weather warms up by the time we go...I don't want to be spending any extra time in the WJ. I don't want to out grow my clothes in the first week...LOL

Thats a great deal $2 for 5 hours of wireless!

I'm surprised your not hitting the beaches???

Meg...you're amazing posting from ST. Thomas...

I know people that came of the Explorer on Sunday and told me no Chocolates anymore but they said they had the Towel Animals. I wonder why they aren't doing them this cruise:confused: Don't they have a class for that???

I hope the weather warms up by the time we go...I don't want to be spending any extra time in the WJ. I don't want to out grow my clothes in the first week...LOL

Thats a great deal $2 for 5 hours of wireless!

I'm surprised your not hitting the beaches???

Eh..beaches smeaches...i like beaches but had no motivation to go..and my fellow roll call peeps went as a group.....so i could have gone with them, but eh....didn't feel like it...and i've been here before (was just here in Nov..)and i don't need anything..>THUS here i am...had toyed with going to the marriott, but it's really hot and i don't want mom to get sick in the heat....and her ankle would swell up more...PLUS she is having a BLAST on the balcony watching all the stuff...she said she was perfectly happy using it!!

as for the animals...our regular cabin attendant was sick for 3 days so maybe that's why, but last time it was day 4 or 5...:rolleyes:

and the class??? usually everyone particiaptes...last cruise (in nov) they didn't give out towels...just instructions, and they showed you! (the little things amuse me)

yup...5 hours for 2 bucks.....(ok so i bought a drink for like 6.....whatever)

How much time down from nj did it take to get warm?

We have only sailed from nyc during the spring/summer. I am, in a way, regretting sailing out of nj in the dead of winter.

I booked next years's winter cruise out of miami :)

Meg, Thank you for all your diligence and efforts. I think you're doing a wonderful thing to help all of us who are waiting for news on our ship. There are too many people who would take the attitude that once they're on vacation, it's not their problem to worry about anybody else anymore. I've always believed in the pay it forward system and feel if you do enough good for others, they will feel compelled to do the same, and so on. And the world would be a better place. You definitely generated a lot of good karma here.

As one of the many passengers who will be boarding next Friday (the 2/13 cruise), I am very appreciative for the news and descriptions you've been giving. Though I think we'll have way more than 12 kids on our cruise, since it's President's week! More like 1200 kids! :eek:

How did you get the deal on internet access in St. Thomas? I'm bringing a laptop with me and would love to see about the access, in case I have any spare time. Of course I doubt I could EVER do justice to the detail and information you have provided.

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy every minute of the rest of your trip. :)

Hi Meg,

"a bar/pool/internet cafe thing by the pier) so i may split....2 bucks for 5 hours of wireless ain't bad:.

Can you give us the name and location so we can use it on our visit too?

Thanks so much.

Gary

How much time down from nj did it take to get warm?

We have only sailed from nyc during the spring/summer. I am, in a way, regretting sailing out of nj in the dead of winter.

I booked next years's winter cruise out of miami :)

To me its simple math (and I guess it depends on how close to NYC you live):

Drive to Bayonne and be on a cruise ship with it cold outside or fly from Newark to a warm port?? I choose driving and the cold ship. I can have a good time on board just relaxing or having a drink or whatever. Flying to ports is a major pain in the butt and not worth it if it can be avoided. I'd rather be on my vacation right away, not have a day of work flying to my vacation.

For the record, we took the 12-night cruise back in Nov '07 and it got warm (70s) the 2nd day and was hot (80s+) the third day. I'm sure it took them (on the current cruise) a little longer to get to warm weather because it is colder right now and they had a slower ship (2 out of 3 propellers).

Archived