LIVE from Explorer with a bad propellor 2/1/09

megr1125

So, it has been mentioned here that the Explorer will go into dry dock earlier than Jan 2010.

If this happens, does it rule out the scheduled Jan date, or will it do dry dock at that time also?

I don't remember where it was mentioned that they were going into drydock earlier than Jan., 2010, but from my conversation with the Captain, he said they were sticking to the original scheduled drydock of January.

I am more inclined to believe what the lead captain of that ship says more than anyone else at RCI at this point in time.

I don't remember where it was mentioned that they were going into drydock earlier than Jan., 2010, but from my conversation with the Captain, he said they were sticking to the original scheduled drydock of January.

I am more inclined to believe what the lead captain of that ship says more than anyone else at RCI at this point in time.

Oops...I misread your post. I thought you stated that they "will" be in dry dock sooner, when you actually said "would not".

Thanks!:)

Thank you so much for the info!!!!

We are on the next 9 day sailing and from the sounds of things, our last day in port, Labadee, will be cut short by a few hours.

That is dissappointing.:( That is one of my favourite stops and yes, so far I have made it there both times I was supposed to. :p

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I am also on a 9 day sailing that starts in San Juan and ends in Labadee. I was assuming that since the ship has no problem getting to Labadee in time for the sailings that begin there, that we would not have to leave Labadee early to get back to NJ in time. I assumed that since San Juan is further away from NJ than Labadee, that perhaps the only change would be that we would arrive in San Juan later than the 3pm scheduled time, and that Labadee may not be affected at all. This is based solely on assumptions and nothing scientific;) Could anyone else who knows more about currents, distance to/from ports, etc weigh in?:D

I am also on a 9 day sailing that starts in San Juan and ends in Labadee. I was assuming that since the ship has no problem getting to Labadee in time for the sailings that begin there, that we would not have to leave Labadee early to get back to NJ in time. I assumed that since San Juan is further away from NJ than Labadee, that perhaps the only change would be that we would arrive in San Juan later than the 3pm scheduled time, and that Labadee may not be affected at all. This is based solely on assumptions and nothing scientific;) Could anyone else who knows more about currents, distance to/from ports, etc weigh in?:D

I think what they are doing is on a trip by trip basis based on weather and maritime reports.

I just looked at the original schedules for both 9 night cruises.

In the process of editing... will make in a new post... I messed up on my original study... oops!!! :D More soon....

Ok, fixed my math mistake. Bad engineer… BAD!!! :D :D

When the ship goes to San Juan first, they have 2 days - 23 hours (71 hours) in the regular schedule for the trip down. I looked up online and found it is just about 1400 nautical miles to San Juan. So, that means they average about 19.7 knots to make the normal schedule. If the ship can now go only 20 knots (and lets assume that’s the top speed even though that might change with winds and currents), the ship should get there close to on time!! But of course the ship can’t go full speed the entire trip… they have to get away from the berth, through the shipping channels near NY Harbor, and then again slower as they approach San Juan. So maybe they average 19 knots? If they average 19.0 instead of 19.7 knots, the trip will take about 2 ½ hours longer! So that might be what is happening.

Concerning Labadee, I can’t find the distance from Labadee to Bayonne. But I can see that they have 7 more hours to get to San Juan on the way down (arrive at Labadee at 8am vs. San Juan at 3pm) but only 3 more hours to get to Bayonne from San Juan on the way north (depart Labadee at 5pm vs. San Juan at 2pm). That means that either the run south to San Juan or the run north from Labadee has some extra time baked into it. If I had to guess, I think it is Labadee to Bayonne that has some extra time in the regular schedule… because it gets dark around 5pm (so they aren't going to keep people on shore at Labadee) and because of my study about San Juan above. And so, if I am right, you will not experience too much of a loss of time there. But it is ONLY a guess… lets see what the next two 9 night cruises experience.

One thing I also noticed was that for both locations they schedule more time going north than they do going south. Why? Well, I'm sure that's a current and wind factor. So basically they know they can go faster southbound (downhill.. LOL), than they can northbound. And if the winds and currents cooperate, they can get to their destination quicker than they planned. And if they don't, it will be slower. And if seas are smooth, quicker. If rough, slower. Not too much unlike sometimes in a plane when they get get good tailwinds going west to east. Sometimes they can beat the planned flight time by quite a bit when the tailwinds cooperate.

Ok, fixed my math mistake. Bad engineer… BAD!!! :D :D

When the ship goes to San Juan first, they have 2 days - 23 hours (71 hours) in the regular schedule for the trip down. I looked up online and found it is just about 1400 nautical miles to San Juan. So, that means they average about 19.7 knots to make the normal schedule. If the ship can now go only 20 knots (and lets assume that’s the top speed even though that might change with winds and currents), the ship should get there close to on time!! But of course the ship can’t go full speed the entire trip… they have to get away from the berth, through the shipping channels near NY Harbor, and then again slower as they approach San Juan. So maybe they average 19 knots? If they average 19.0 instead of 19.7 knots, the trip will take about 2 ½ hours longer! So that might be what is happening.

Concerning Labadee, I can’t find the distance from Labadee to Bayonne. But I can see that they have 7 more hours to get to San Juan on the way down (arrive at Labadee at 8am vs. San Juan at 3pm) but only 3 more hours to get to Bayonne from San Juan on the way north (depart Labadee at 5pm vs. San Juan at 2pm). That means that either the run south to San Juan or the run north from Labadee has some extra time baked into it. If I had to guess, I think it is Labadee to Bayonne that has some extra time in the regular schedule… because it gets dark around 5pm (so they aren't going to keep people on shore at Labadee) and because of my study about San Juan above. And so, if I am right, you will not experience too much of a loss of time there. But it is ONLY a guess… lets see what the next two 9 night cruises experience.

One thing I also noticed was that for both locations they schedule more time going north than they do going south. Why? Well, I'm sure that's a current and wind factor. So basically they know they can go faster southbound (downhill.. LOL), than they can northbound. And if the winds and currents cooperate, they can get to their destination quicker than they planned. And if they don't, it will be slower. And if seas are smooth, quicker. If rough, slower. Not too much unlike sometimes in a plane when they get get good tailwinds going west to east. Sometimes they can beat the planned flight time by quite a bit when the tailwinds cooperate.

Thanks for checking into all of that! I was too lazy to try to figure it all out myself:) I know the best we can do is guess right now, and wait until the other 9 nighters sail to find out what they do. I do like your reasoning better than my assumption though:D

I am on a 13 night 4-26-09 our itinerary has changed, the way I found out was because I got an email saying that the excursion we are doing in Antigua has changed times due to getting in 1 hour late, I called RCCL to ask about other ports and I was told that everything is the same as posted on the web. I then asked can you please check with a person above you because I got an email about our excursion and know that Antigua has changed. I was then told "oh I guess I didn't get the e-mail yet, yes you have 4 changes to your itinerary." The changes are: Day 3 at sea is now San Juan from 4pm-11:59pm, Barbados we are leaving at 4pm not 5pm,Antigua we will arrive at 10am not 9am and Tortola is removed to give us 3 sea days home. The web still has the old itinerary posted on it and RCCL seems not to care to tell anybody of the changes.

I am on a 13 night 4-26-09 our itinerary has changed, the way I found out was because I got an email saying that the excursion we are doing in Antigua has changed times due to getting in 1 hour late, I called RCCL to ask about other ports and I was told that everything is the same as posted on the web. I then asked can you please check with a person above you because I got an email about our excursion and know that Antigua has changed. I was then told "oh I guess I didn't get the e-mail yet, yes you have 4 changes to your itinerary." The changes are: Day 3 at sea is now San Juan from 4pm-11:59pm, Barbados we are leaving at 4pm not 5pm,Antigua we will arrive at 10am not 9am and Tortola is removed to give us 3 sea days home. The web still has the old itinerary posted on it and RCCL seems not to care to tell anybody of the changes.

We have the next 12 night to go out in a few weeks and they made most of those changes a while ago... "Barbados we are leaving at 4pm not 5pm,Antigua we will arrive at 10am not 9am and Tortola is removed to give us 3 sea days home"... these were all changed on our cruise BEFORE the propeller issue happened. So I don't believe they are related to that. The San Juan 4pm arrival is interesting... our itinerary still has 3pm... but we know the prop will effect it. I wonder if it is 4pm because of the propeller?? Is an hour enough? Not certain.

." The changes are: Day 3 at sea is now San Juan from 4pm-11:59pm, Barbados we are leaving at 4pm not 5pm,Antigua we will arrive at 10am not 9am and Tortola is removed to give us 3 sea days home. The web still has the old itinerary posted on it and RCCL seems not to care to tell anybody of the changes. "

Thanks for the update! I suspected Tortola was cancelled long before the prop incident, but it was never removed from the itinerary. It really is a shame RCI can't be more upfront about these changes. I also think it is false advertising!

We have the next 12 night to go out in a few weeks and they made most of those changes a while ago... "Barbados we are leaving at 4pm not 5pm,Antigua we will arrive at 10am not 9am and Tortola is removed to give us 3 sea days home"... these were all changed on our cruise BEFORE the propeller issue happened. So I don't believe they are related to that. The San Juan 4pm arrival is interesting... our itinerary still has 3pm... but we know the prop will effect it. I wonder if it is 4pm because of the propeller?? Is an hour enough? Not certain.

I knew that Tortola would be removed from ours, and San Juan was a bonus to be added back on to ours, check and see you may have a later stay on San Juan, ours says 11pm but it is really 11:59pm.

Those timings in Barbados and Antigua and the removal of Tortola are exactly the same changes as were made to our 12 night cruise some time ago. It almost seems as if they forgot to let the 13-night people know :rolleyes:

We are 4pm not 3pm arrival in San Juan, I think bacause we are not leaving NJ till 5pm

Has anyone currently onboard reported any changes in their San Juan time? I haven't seen anything but thought I may have missed it.

we just got back, 9 days and we stayed in st. thomas until 8pm instead of leaving at 5 which was great, loved st. thomas did the champagne sunset sail or the booze cruise as we called it gotta love those pain killers, , and the next day we had a time change in san juan, we docked at 6 am and all aboard was at 11am, so not much time, and some stores they said we going to open at 8 didn't until 9, i got off the boat and did a sightseeing trip, wasn't planned but it was 1 1/2 hours for $10 and got to see a lot of the city and got dropped off in the main shopping area, so that was nice, not much time but made the best of it.

Thank you for all the updates.

As I mentioned earlier, the Carribean Princess port times were altered alot and many excursions had to be cancelled and there were lots of hot spots on the ship. In the theater you actually broke a sweat. They were unable to fix the generator till dry dock.

If I hadnt read on the cruise critic boards that the generator was down and lots of people were complaining that they were extremely warm to hot in the staterooms, I would have never known. The cruise line never informed anyone at any point. I brought a fan with me for my stateroom...thank goodness I did as it was so warm and uncomfortable. Despite the warm room and other hot spots on the ship, I had a fantastic cruise.

I dont know why the cruise lines dont inform its passengers. I guess its to avoid cancellations.

We are lucky to have the boards here.

Thank you for all the updates.

As I mentioned earlier, the Carribean Princess port times were altered alot and many excursions had to be cancelled and there were lots of hot spots on the ship. In the theater you actually broke a sweat. They were unable to fix the generator till dry dock.

If I hadnt read on the cruise critic boards that the generator was down and lots of people were complaining that they were extremely warm to hot in the staterooms, I would have never known. The cruise line never informed anyone at any point. I brought a fan with me for my stateroom...thank goodness I did as it was so warm and uncomfortable. Despite the warm room and other hot spots on the ship, I had a fantastic cruise. .

I agree. I was on the Caribbean Princess last year and still had a fabulous time. Now, here I am again, different ship, different cruise line and a similar issue. Even though it's my wedding cruise and I am freaking out a little, I am sure everything will be okay.

we just got back, 9 days and we stayed in st. thomas until 8pm instead of leaving at 5 which was great, loved st. thomas did the champagne sunset sail or the booze cruise as we called it gotta love those pain killers, , and the next day we had a time change in san juan,

MRDRDOSO.....In reading your post, it appears that you were in St. Thomas before San Juan. Is that true??

Does anyone else think it's weird that no one who is on the ship now is posting to any thread? I'm dying to get an update on what's going on with the ship as far as port arrivals and departures. I'm sailing in less than 6 weeks and truly hope no more of our cruise is cut short; Tortola has already been removed entirely.

I have just emailed RCL asking about the changes in regards to the prop. As soon as they get back to me I will post. We are on teh 11/29/09 12 day and as of right now we have 5 days at see and Tortola is still on the int. I'm not sure if I want to go on a 12 day with 6 sea days and most of them in cold weather, might have to change plans and go on the dreaded NCL again (yuuck) hope it gets fixed soon we really love explorer.

I have just emailed RCL asking about the changes in regards to the prop. As soon as they get back to me I will post. We are on teh 11/29/09 12 day and as of right now we have 5 days at see and Tortola is still on the int. I'm not sure if I want to go on a 12 day with 6 sea days and most of them in cold weather, might have to change plans and go on the dreaded NCL again (yuuck) hope it gets fixed soon we really love explorer.

I would rather be at sea then on NCL. Once was enough for us.

Archived