Yarn shops in Alaska ports

mariakitty

I am a knitter, and when traveling I love to visit local yarn shops, especially those that offer local yarns and fleece. Does anyone know of yarn shops in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway? I've tried Google and only found actual store websites for one in Skagway. If anyone has been to a yarn shop in any of these ports I would love to hear your review.

Maria

Maria,

Have you tried posting to knittinghelp.com? I am a member there also and I know there was a thread a while back about a yarn store in Juneau where a lady was able to buy some quivet (sp?) yarn at a reasonable (for quivet) price.

If you find out anything I would love to know also. Well, I guess I could post over at KH and let you know the answer too!!

Two years ago, very near our dock in Ketchikan I found a great yarn/bead shop in a large buidling. Juneau ,I remember possibly two on a main downtown street and also a yarn shop in Skagway. I thought the selection in these shops better than I found in N. VA.

I have made a post to Ravelry as well and will let you know the results. If you are in Ravelry I have the same username so send me an email! I am pretty sure the knit shop in Juneau is called Skeins and it's close to the port so should be an easy walk. Of course I have to fit knitting shops in with shore excursions to keep my DH happy. :) I am keen to find Alaskan yarns.

The shop I really want to visit is in Victoria, called Beehive Wool Shop. The only problem is we arrive at 5pm and the shop closes at 5:30pm so I probably can't make it. It's supposed to be over 3500 sq. feet of yarn and knitting supplies. That just seems incredible to me!

Yes, Skeins in Juneau is right on the main tourist drag, South Franklin Street. It's in The Senate Building, a large structure on the mountain side of the street, across from Heritage Coffee.

There's some great Alaska made yarns. I particularly like the ones made by a woman in Sitka, Raven Frog, something like that. She dyes them herself in color schemes of Alaska.

Watch out with Quivet. My mom's cat immediately chewed it into many tiny pieces. It may have a scent that excites pets.

• 1 month later...

Maria, I love to knit basically scarves because I'm fairly new to the neelles. If you are on our cruise coral Princess S.B. Whittier to Vancover on July6 I will bring my knitting and maybe if I have a problem you could help me. I think it will be fun to look for some yarn while in Alaskan ports.

Thanks Ellen please email me: elg4144@charter.net

• 2 years later...

I am actually hoping to find some wool weaver's yarn, which is different than knitter's yarn, from what I understand it has a tighter twist and can handle the tension from the loom. If anyone has any places in Juneau, Ketchikan or Skagway that they know carries weaver's wool i would love to hear about it!

We cruised to Alaska in june.

The yarn shop in Ketchikan is now called the Point. It is with an Art Gallery. The Mission St. shop is no longer there. The Point is about a mile or so from the dock and it is walkable if you like to walk. (my husband didn't complain too much). I also believe they have a van that will come pick you up if you call them.

I bought both Quivit and Raven Frog yarn - absolutely beautiful!

25 Jefferson Way, Suite 102B Ketchikan

907-225-2858

www.alaskanart.net

In Juneau I saw a shop, but we were there too early and didn't return from our excursion until late. It was called Seaside Yarns and is located near the ships dock.

2 Marine Way Suite 125, Juneau, AK 99801 (907) 723-9227

I am sure you can get much more information on Ravelry.

I just returned from what my husband described as my Alaskan yarn crawl. I did not see any weaving yarn. However, I weave with knitting yarn especially for the weft. Happy knitting.

In Seward - toward town on the street the Sea Life Center is "A Flyin' Skein" - 223 4th Ave.

907-224-5648

In Juneau - On the shuttle to the Mendenhall Glacier - around the bend of the road on the water side is a shop with a sign "yarn" The driver was describing a building on the other side of the road, I looked up and said in a rather loud voice "Yarn Store" We had the driver drop us off in front of it on the way back to the ship.

In Skagway - Rushin' Tailor's - The sign says Quilts but they have yarn too. 370 Third Ave. Near 3rd and Broadway. The best price for Quivit. They will give you the pattern for the scarf that is on display.

Icy Strait Point - no shop. Sigh.

In Ketchikan - The Point. They will send a shuttle for you. Or take the blue line to "the Mall" The Point is to the right of the Mall. You can get an all day bus pass for $2. The blue line goes to Totem Bight also.

• 4 months later...

YEA!!! Yarn shops in Alaska! Doesn't look as if there has been activity on this thread for a while, but I've seen good info. THANKS! I'll check on Ravelry, too. I'm kind of a newbie there. Haven't chatted there, so that will be a new experienc! We'll see how it goes! Thanks for the info!

Sara

I nearly always buy yarn in Alaska. A good search engine is your friend for yarn shop hunting.

One of my treasures is a set of hand made crochet hooks that improve with use. Made in Alaska!

If you are sailing out of Seattle, there are many fine yarn shops there. Obviously yarn is easy to travel with.

Yes, I do understand!

In Skagway - Rushin' Tailor's - The sign says Quilts but they have yarn too. 370 Third Ave. Near 3rd and Broadway. The best price for Quivit. They will give you the pattern for the scarf that is on display.

We were there in August 2011 and it is a great shop but don't remember the address as they moved earlier in the year. Had yarn along one of the back walls - so much colour and choice it made my head spin...but that may have been because I am a quilter and not a knitter. I was looking for some friends in Norway and Australia and my SIL who all knit and I wanted "real" Alaskan wool to send to them. Beautiful stuff and the staff were so helpful to me, the non-knitter. We also bought an crochet hoot made out of abolonie (sp?) shell for my MIL as she isn't a knitter or a quilter but loves to crochet.

Of course I did damage and bought some fabric, quilt notions, and patterns with an Alaskan theme and my 10 year old daughter was right there with me. Now just to find the time to make them!!!

I also found a quilt store in Seattle in the Pike Market that sold a lot of the Alaskan patterns at a bit better price than up in Alaska. Worth looking into if you are having a day in Seattle and are a quilter. I did NOT see any yarn or knitting in that shop.

Happy crafting. We had our tour with Becky (Beyond Skagway) drop us off at the Rushin Tailor and we shopped and then walked back to the ship.

Alaska is full of quilters! They even having quilting contests. I would do some internet searches prior to arriving in Alaska so that you have the information at hand.

Don't be afraid to telephone ahead as many cell plans include free long distance that includes Alaska.

• 2 months later...

There is a wonderful little shop with a very friendly shop owner in Juneau. A great vareity of fiber including Qiviut and locally made yarns, books, and accessories. Pick up what you need then sit in the seating area to work on a project. There's also a kids area if you have little ones to keep busy while you shop. There are seats and magazines to occupy your partner as well while you shop or they could always wander around the rest of the Wharf while you look around. The shop is in the big blue wharf building right on the water by the cruise ship docks. You can see the building as you are pulling into town. Just stay on the waterside and follow it around.

You can get in touch with them at 907-723-9227 and check out their website at http://www.seasideyarns.com

Definitely worth stopping in.

There is a wonderful little shop with a very friendly shop owner in Juneau. A great vareity of fiber including Qiviut and locally made yarns, books, and accessories. Pick up what you need then sit in the seating area to work on a project. There's also a kids area if you have little ones to keep busy while you shop. There are seats and magazines to occupy your partner as well while you shop or they could always wander around the rest of the Wharf while you look around. The shop is in the big blue wharf building right on the water by the cruise ship docks. You can see the building as you are pulling into town. Just stay on the waterside and follow it around.

You can get in touch with them at 907-723-9227 and check out their website at www.seasideyarns.com

Definitely worth stopping in.

And yarn goods are so easy to pack and travel with!

Yes I agree that Seaside Yarns is a great place to spend time as there are lots of different yarns lines to see and feel with a very friendly owner. They had lots of small independent companies plus larger yarn lines as well. Plus they had Qiviut, musk ox yarn, and a lot of yarn and fiber from a local Juneau hand dyer. The owner was very willing to help kit up a project and to get a pattern as well. She was willing to ship anything out too.

Thanks for the great experience!

Yes I agree that Seaside Yarns is a great place to spend time as there are lots of different yarns lines to see and feel with a very friendly owner. They had lots of small independent companies plus larger yarn lines as well. Plus they had Qiviut, musk ox yarn, and a lot of yarn and fiber from a local Juneau hand dyer. The owner was very willing to help kit up a project and to get a pattern as well. She was willing to ship anything out too.

Thanks for the great experience!

How expensive is Qiviut yarn?
I would say it is expensive. The one thing you need to determine is how it feels to you and how your skin will react as you both work it and wear it.

I can wear regular wool from sheep with no issues but can neither work nor wear Qiviut. It really dries out my skin.

Archived