Snorkeling In April

TCF

We're headed off to the Sea Of Cortez in April and some in the group are interested in snorkeling in various ports/areas. I have found references that indicate that the waters in that part of the world are too cold in April to really enjoy snorkeling. Is there any truth to this?

Where are the best spots to snorkel in the La Paz and/or Loreto area?

Thanks for your information and tips.

It will be cold in Cabo- not sure about the other ports. April and May are the coldest water of the year in Cabo. It is just starting to cool now, gets down to high 50's-low 60's in April and then it starts to gradually warm again until it reaches the mid 80's in October and November.

We did the Sea of Cortez cruise in early May in 2007 on HAL and only swam in PV- it was pretty warm there.

as I posted in another thread on this topic here is what was posted by a dive and snorkel company for cabo...

Q: WHAT IS THE WATER TEMPERATURE IN CABO SAN LUCAS?

A: The water temperature ranges from a high of 85 degrees in mid-summer to a low of 65 degrees in mid-winter. From January to March expect 65-75 degrees, April to June, 65-75 degrees, and from July to December expect 75-85 degrees. The water is always warmer in the Sea of Cortez than it is in the Pacific Ocean, however, often by as much as 10°F. We've personally taken water temps at 72° at the end of February and 82° in November.

I have snorkeled many times the first week in MAY both in cabo and been in the water at la paz during the same time frame. It clearly is not as warm as the carribean, but we certainly did not need wet suits. We are taking the sea of cortez cruise in early april and are bringing our gear. So we shall see first hand. Hope that helps.

Those stats are averages for each month. For actual daily temps, go over to the Cabo board on tripadvisor and a local regular poster who is a divemaster and is actually in the water everyday, posts a daily water report.

You can do this right before your trip to see what the true temps are not just stats for the past years.

One would think the overall averages would be a good indicator of what to expect in "general terms" for a period in time. Yes if you want to pinpoint the exact tempreture if someone accurately posts it daily that would be good.

I say take the snorkel gear and go for it. It maybe chilly to some but if you like snorkeling and enjoying yourself , you will adjust to the temp pretty quick..

Keep in mind the snorkeling in mexico in general is not as good as in the carribean in my opinion. But it is still fun and worth taking the gear. Watch out for jelley fish and have fun !!!

Archived