Tauranga and Mount climb

stereo

I haven't personally climbed the Mount, but I have walked the track around it. The climb is not difficult, and would take around an hour.

The ocean beach is world class, magnificant swimming and surf. In March you are in late summer but weather will hopefully be warm enough for swimming.

The hot water pools are fine, fed by water from hot thermal springs.

All of these are 5-10 minutes walk from the port.

Depends on how old you are and your physical condition. We walked around the base first and then climbed the mountain. It was a killer for us. We are 66 & 68 and in good shape but it is steep and alot of stair steps. I would not do it again. You will see just as pretty scenery elsewhere on your trip. Each to their own but as I said, Not worth it for us.

Depends on how old you are and your physical condition. We walked around the base first and then climbed the mountain. It was a killer for us. We are 66 & 68 and in good shape but it is steep and alot of stair steps. I would not do it again. You will see just as pretty scenery elsewhere on your trip. Each to their own but as I said, Not worth it for us.

Kia ora i Rotorua,

We have walked around Mount Maunganui) a number of times and occasionally up. Cruise ships berth close to the base of 'the Mount' (as it is known locally) and it is a short flat walk to the start of the track. While the walk up can be challenging the walk around is quite easy (as mentioned by Justgottago) and even with stops to admire the view should I wouldn't expect to take an hour. The pool and ocean beach are also adjacent to the base of 'the Mount'. Port of Tauranga is the port for visiting Rotorua so if you want to see plenty of hot pools & boiling mud make sure you see Rotorua!

Aquarians

I climbed the Mt with my sister 2 weeks ago. There are a number of different trails to get up. Some are straight up and difficult, others wind their way and aren't bad. Check the trail map before you go. We took the first trail to the right and didn't see the map until on the way down since it's posted just beyond the first trail...near the second parking lot. My sister and I are in late 50's, early 60's and made it up the easy trail in less than an hour. Then we came down a steeper route....more stairs than the other trail, then walked all around the base. We took our time and did it all in 2 1/2 hours. The best part was there were 2 brothers at the top who had carried a cooler of coke up there and were selling it. Although it was $5, I was happy to pay it for the cold drink. The views up there are magnificent and the walk was fun and worth it. The ship is docked right near the Mt so it's easily accessible. I have pics if you're interested or for more info email me at patty111@frontiernet.net

• 1 month later...
Hi all--Will be in Tauranga in mid March. Has anyone climbed the Mount?--How is the swimming in Tauranga?--How about the hot water pools?--Thanks

If you are not reasonably fit don't climb as it is challenging. Start early especially if it is hot and the sun is shining, wear a hat and shorts and take a bottle of water, there is a good beach beside the Mount.

Archived