All that water! Inquiring minds want to know.

regnig

As I was showering this AM it occurred to me that I had no idea just how Princess manages to supply the ship with all the fresh water that they do. The water, which is very potable, seems to be in never ending supply. When I consider all the usages of fresh water onboard a ship I just can’t fathom how they “make” or “store” it all.

In rather plain English, I’m a blond after all ;):eek:;), could someone please explain the process to me. Thanks - Barb

I can't explain it, but I do know that Princess uses a system that desalinates sea water. I agree, it's a great system, but I do not really know how it works. I'm sure someone else will post with the specifics of desalination.

What I find interesting and am very thankful for is the unending supply of hot desalinated water on Princess ships. I've never had to take a lukewarm shower.

the ship is floating in the water you will be using on the ship. In short it is boiled and treated. You will not know it's ocean water at anytime. Some do not like to drink it and use the bottle water in the cabins. I have used it on all my cruises and have had no problems with it.

The ships use desalination machinery to remove the salt and minerals from the seawater and then store it in the massive tanks that are in the bottom of the ship. The water is then filtered in numerous steps before being sent to the domestic water system. The older steam propelled ships used steam flash evaporators to desalinate the water but the newer ships use mechanical equipment or reverse osmosis systems.

I know that some ships take water on in port to supplement their water generation capability. Whether Princess does this I don't know but I'm aware of both Celebrity and HAL ships that buy water in certain ports as well as make their own. I believe the decision is at least partially economic since making fresh water from salt is not cheap.

I know that some ships take water on in port to supplement their water generation capability. Whether Princess does this I don't know but I'm aware of both Celebrity and HAL ships that buy water in certain ports as well as make their own. I believe the decision is at least partially economic since making fresh water from salt is not cheap.

We saw a water truck loading water onto the Emerald in the past couple of weeks. I seem to recall it was in St. Thomas, but I'm not certain about that.

On the Pacific Princess, we took on potable water at every port in the Amazon. The ship's systems can't get all the silt out of the river water so they have to get potable water from shore.

On the Pacific Princess, we took on potable water at every port in the Amazon. The ship's systems can't get all the silt out of the river water so they have to get potable water from shore.

Right on with that answer.

Archived