Snorkel masks for glasses wearers?

Cinderellie

Hello. My boyfriend wears glasses and really needs them badly for distance, but he would like to try snorkeling. Can you wear wire-frame glasses UNDER the mask or are there special masks for that?

And NO, he does not have contacts.

Thanks much!

I haven't snorkeled in many years. When I was a whole lot younger, we tried wire frame glasses with the side pieces removed. We were able to get them glued inside the mask and it worked. But they fogged up worse than the mask itself. Also, I don't think modern masks have enough room for that anymore anyway. He will not be able to wear a full set of glasses under the mask.

You can get masks that have a spot to insert lenses. Most large on-line dive shops carry standard lenses and can put the whole thing together for you. But, I've never tried that either, so I don't know how well the masks work, or how dependable an on-line dive shop is. With that in mind, I would check some on-line prices first, then call a couple of dive shops in town and see what they can do.

I'm in the middle of going through this myself. But in my case, I used the desire to snorkel as a reason to finally get contacts after all these years.

If you have time to come back, I'd love to hear what your BF decides to do.

I haven't snorkeled in many years. When I was a whole lot younger, we tried wire frame glasses with the side pieces removed. We were able to get them glued inside the mask and it worked. But they fogged up worse than the mask itself. Also, I don't think modern masks have enough room for that anymore anyway. He will not be able to wear a full set of glasses under the mask.

You can get masks that have a spot to insert lenses. Most large on-line dive shops carry standard lenses and can put the whole thing together for you. But, I've never tried that either, so I don't know how well the masks work, or how dependable an on-line dive shop is. With that in mind, I would check some on-line prices first, then call a couple of dive shops in town and see what they can do.

I'm in the middle of going through this myself. But in my case, I used the desire to snorkel as a reason to finally get contacts after all these years.

If you have time to come back, I'd love to hear what your BF decides to do.

Keep in mind that just being underwater magnifies 25%.

I wear a strong prescription and have no problem snorkeling or diving.

Keep in mind that just being underwater magnifies 25%.

I wear a strong prescription and have no problem snorkeling or diving.

Not an option for me! :mad: If it were, I wouldn't have experimented with eyeglasses in a mask all those years ago.

My DH had very bad vision until he had Lasik surgery and one time he tried snorkeling without his contacts but no such luck, everything was still blurry.

I always wear my contacts when snorkeling but you may want to check into a prescription mask although if this is going to be a one-time snorkeling excursion it may not be worth the investment.

We found some at Sports authority that are prescription, try a sporting good store. Only thing is your eye's need to be close to the same number. since both lenses will

be the same number.

Lucky for my son they are both -3.00.

good luck!!

and they sell many online as well....

If you have some time til you go I would suggest he get contacts. I had -600 and had lasik many years ago... best thing I ever did. Having said all that if he has really bad eyes and will not get contacts then he may not want to go. Glasses will not really work in masks and a mask with the prescription may cost as much as getting contacts. My daughter got contacts at Walmart a few weeks back and the doctor/contacts cost about $115.

My dh wears glasses. We ordered a rx mask from snorkelmart.com. They are great!

He carries them in an old sock... so he can wipe and clean as he goes.

My daughter and I both purchased prescription goggles... the best investment for your water-based activities!! :)We bought them on-line for a very reasonable price...but you have to order the same prescription for both eyes..they say to round down the number, since everything is magnified under water...in fact...just getting ready to order a new pair for my daughter's changing eyes since last cruise...BUT WELL WORTH IT!!!:)

Archived