How do you keep track of informtion??

twocats

How do you organize your information gained here on CC?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. How do you organize your information gained here on CC?

• Use your memory
    • Cut and past to a word processing program and print
    • Subscribe to threads and use search function later to find
    • Use hand written notes as you read

I keep two notebooks next to the computer. One for cruising and one for "Fantasy Football". I take alot of notes.

I also start a desktop file for upcoming cruises, as well as a slot on my "FAVORITES" list.

So, basically, I have info scattered between the three of 'em.

I actually do a mixture of the above. I handwrite all the stuff down first, then go back and put into a spreadsheet so I can see numbers by numbers what is the best option. I am a financial analyst, so analyzing is what I do!

I keep two notebooks next to the computer. One for cruising and one for "Fantasy Football". I take alot of notes.

I also start a desktop file for upcoming cruises, as well as a slot on my "FAVORITES" list.

So, basically, I have info scattered between the three of 'em.

Great minds think alike.. My computer desk has Cruising info on one side and Fantasy Football info on the other.. Go Culpepper !!!

I also have a notebook right beside the computer and if I found something of interest whether it is hotels, cruises, transportation, etc. I write down along with web sites etc. This book is specifically for cruising.

Marilyn

When we are planning a trip (driving, cruise, or both), I go to my Word perfect program and begin a day-by-day of where we'll be and what we'll be doing. Then, when pertinant information comes in for a particular day or place, I simply note it on that page. For instance, when I make a hotel reservation the day before a cruise, I go to that day's page and note the reservation numbers, location of the hotel etc.

On embarkation day, I've noted our reservation number, where the ship is located, what time to embark, cabin number, our frequent cruise club numbers, passport numbers, and all.

Once that trip or cruise is over, the file stays in my computer under "Done". It is easy to locate again if I need to look something up from the past. (Where did we stay last time, what did we pay, was it okay, etc.)

By the way, when we leave on our trip, I simply print this out and take it with me with all the information included. Makes it easy!

Printing out an itinerary is a good idea. Confimation numbers and where you will be each day and if on a ship(the ships name) if not on a cruise the hotel where you are staying. Then if your luggage gets lost they can send it to where you are and not home(where you are not.) It doesn't hurt to print out a few, one in your carryon and some in the top or outside pocket of your suitcase.

I will add info to my favorites lists. I have also started a packing list on word perfect when I find good packing tips, also jot down things to remember to do on my cruise like get cold seafood h'orderves from Caribe cafe and eat them on my aft balcony at sunset before dinner. (Actually I don't think I will forget that one - that was a good tip!)

I open a New Folder in a directory I call "Travel" on my desktop - eg. Alaska 2005. I then cut & paste info from the boards onto Notepad, give it an appropriate name, save & dump all into the folder. If there's a thread, website or link I want to check again - I cut & paste those too. Much easier than using the search function (which doesn't work all that well anyway).

My travel folder contains stuff like: Travel 2004, French Polynesia, Panama Canal -excursions, itinerary, San Francisco -Restaurant recommendations, Flight itineraries, Packing lists, etc., etc.

I also use Excel spreadsheets for making & sorting lists.

I used to take notes, but always ended up misplacing them. This way, everything's on my computer and I can go back and print what I want.

ell

I've got Post-It's all over the place - all around the monitor, on the desk, on the keyboard, ... why didn't I think of using the cut and paste into a word document? I work on computers all day - you'd think that would have occurred to me! Einstein, I'm not! :D Going now to start a word doc entitled "Cruising Tips" and fill it up with ideas.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I, too, keep a folder here on my desk for each trip. Any pertinent info gets printed out and deposited into the folder (which comes with me on the trip). When putting a group together (which I do every 2 years...excel spreadsheets are invaluable!!).

You guys all have given me some great ideas.

Deb

I do a mix too. I print off threads that I want to keep for a cruise. I write notes on a post it and I keep a cruise folder on my desk at all times for quick reference. I used to search the boards a lot but now my folder is my main resource for older info.

I, too, keep a folder here on my desk for each trip. Any pertinent info gets printed out and deposited into the folder (which comes with me on the trip).

Deb

Me too:D

I love information at my fingertips. I also have a HUGE list of cruise, port, excursions, reviews and other info in a "Cruise" folder in my favorites. Any website I come across, I add it.

For me, TMI doesn't apply to cruises.

;)

Sharon

That is my vote and currently the #1 vote. This is one of the main reasons this board thrives. The info is so fluid and changing that a cut and paste fact that you have could have been debunked in the last minute or in the last week/month.I do some of the above, except no duct tape sticky notes in this house. :D

Steve

Use your memory. Surely you jest. :) I can't remember what I did yesterday :D

I use the My Favorites and do the cut and paste to a Word Doc. Now if the information is debunked, then I will delete it from my document. I have a folder on the kitchen table labled Cruise and put everything in there that applies to the next cruise. :)

Memory??? What is that? I have my trusty notebook next to the computer and everything starts out in there. I print out all my correspondence with guides and such and keep that in a folder. I will add to the folder as I go and go and go and go (hopefully):D

Ginger

I put my internet info in a folder, for instance, like the Alaska cruise I am planning. The main folder is titles "Alaska" Then I have sub-folders titled: messages boards, Vancouver, Anchorage, Princess, and misc. I put anything I find that pertains to that subject in the folders.

For hard copies of anything, such as confirmations, articles, etc. I put in a folder right near my computer. I tend to be an organized person.

Archived