RCL Grandeur of the Seas vs. Carnival Destiny

CRUISALOT

Hello all, I would appreciate your opinion on this. I have a choice to book a 4n-$299 on CCL Destiny to Cozumel and Key West or 5n-$379 on RCL Grandeur of the Seas to Cozumel and Costa Maya. I don't do excursions. I live way closer to RCL/Tampa(40mi.) than CCL/Miami(approx. 300mi). I would like a bigger ship. My first cruise on Carnival Fantasy was awful. I had no idea I would get so sea sick due to the size of the ship and the weather was bad. My cruise later that year on Carnival Miracle was great. I was more prepared with Dramamine and the ship was bigger. So with my issues, my question is, which one would u choose?

We cruised Grandeur a year ago and she was fine even in rough January seas on the way to Key West and Cozumel. We're cruising Destiny next month. 300 miles each way will eat up lots of your $80 savings - I'd go fo the 5 night cruise on RCI that's close to your home. Good luck!:)

Well I haven't been on the Destiny, but I have been on The Grandeur. In my opinon, The Grandeur is not up to par. The ship itself is very dated, not to mention lacking in all departments including food, entertainment, service, and most everything else.

I very rarely complain on cruises, and I have been the most happy on Carnival ships, and I often try other lines to see how they are, and of all the other lines, I was most disatisfied with The Grandeur. I love all ships, and my favorite was the S/S Norway, so I can't be called a new ship lover. With that said, I would not sail The Grandeur.

Haven't been on the Grandeur, but I have been on the Destiny. We enjoyed ourselves and the ship is great. We would absolutely sail her again if the itinerary was where we wanted to go. Food was good, and cabins are traditionally bigger on Carnival than RCCL. This might not be of issue to you, but if it is, this is something of which to take note.

Although it's been many years since i have sailed either... if I had to choose between them, it would be Destiny. I agree with the previous poster that Grandeur was not up to par.... but perhaps she's been through dry dock since I was aboard.

Although it's been many years since i have sailed either... if I had to choose between them, it would be Destiny. I agree with the previous poster that Grandeur was not up to par.... but perhaps she's been through dry dock since I was aboard.

I was on the Grandeur last year, and I don't believe she has been in drydock. Word to the wise...The beds in our cabin were just pieces of foam cut out to fit on the "cot" type boards they made the frame of the bed out of. Also my friends that had a balcony suite had the same problems. I had the cabin steward bring me 5 pillows and I slept on top of them. It was awful! The only plus with this ship is that the breakfast buffet was better than the Carnival breakfast buffet, other than that, the food was not nearly as good as Carnival's.

I believe that now all of the RCI ships have upgraded their bedding. I've sailed on three RCI ships and three Carnival ships. I think the food is about the same, albeit the burgers are better on Carnival! Overall, I felt the service was better on the RCI ships. If RCI is closer to you, then definitely go with it!

I don't know anything about the Carnival ship but I've been on the Grandeur 3 times and have a 4th cruise booked for the late fall. I love this ship. Service has always been wonderful-the best crew in the RCI fleet IMHO. And the best captain, Captain Rob who is very funny and personable. I've been on this ship is really rough waters and she does fine. I was last on the Grandeur in Sept. 08 and found the bedding to be fine.

Whatever you decide hope you have fun.!

We were just on the Grandeur repo this past Nov. Beds are all updated and ours in our balcony cabin was fine. For a 5 night I would do the Grandeur, but we were on her for 11 days and not enough things to do for that long. Staff is excellent....went above and beyond. Cabin was nice. Storage good. Food was good. Got kind of tired of the same stuff on buffet after 11 nights, but dining room food was always good.

If she was close, 5 nights over 4, I would definitely go on her. She is in pretty good shape!!

Archived