Flawed On Board Credit Authorization Process

js74

I have never posted anything like this but some of you people really need to think before you post and if that person was standing in front of you would you really say that. I would be very humilitated if someone slipped me a note saying my card was declined. You were not there and do not know what happened. Whoever error it was if you are trained in customer serivce you would apolized for the error. The customer comes first.

After reading his post, I must say I had the same issue on the Spirit in May of 07 while in alaska. We did use are CREDIT CARD. And still had the same issue. Of course ours happend at 7:00pm alaska time on a sunday night. So I made a phone call with my cell to my banks number of course no one with my credit card company could tell me anything at night. Our whole problebm that got us mad from the start was the 4th purser. She was rude and did not want to help us all she kept asking us over and over again was how do we want to pay for the $4 and something overage. That part is want sent me through the roof the employees attitude and concern only over the $4. Of course the next morning I made a call from alaska to my bank on the other side of the planet to of course find out there was nothing wrong with my credit card. I knew there wasn't because I had placed a travel notice on my Credit card account. When we went back to pursers desk the next morning a completly different experience!!! Very helpful different purser who told us they had problems with the system and ended up sending a priorty 1 message to Miami about this and what did this error code mean? They never got a denied message in the first place some wierd error code. :confused: Of course when we got back from our shore tour that day in Sitka, Ak all was fixed. So yes I was Pissed :mad: over the whole incident but not enough where I demanded all this stuff nor an apolgy. I knew I wouldn't get anything out of it. With these cruise lines were just a number. So even if I got it at dinner, "I would say not the first time nor first cruise where this has happened, there billing system is all messed up" In the end after we got off the boat and booked another cruise I wrote a letter to guest relations and was very suprised to get a response and a 200 OBC which is more then I thought I would get. So with us leaving for panama exactly 59 days from today we are happy to allready have a OBC :)

OP does not know how a debit/credit card works. What does his bank have to do with Visa/MasterCard portion of the account? Nothing. I don't think that he gave his pin number to carnival, therefore he was using the credit line portion of the card. He needed to call Visa or MasterCard not his bank.

In most cases it is the credit card company that makes the mistake. Last week I tried to use American Express to get gas and was denied. When I called American Express the person said the system was being updated.

I can't believe that anyone that is involved with computers would blame Carnival.

Second. I think that Carnival most likely sent a letter to the cabin, but he did not see the letter and decided to get wine when the account was closed. How did anyone at the adjoining tables know what was going on? Most likely he informed others in a load voice why his credit was cut off.

He turned a mole hill into a mountain.

Second. I think that Carnival most likely sent a letter to the cabin, but he did not see the letter and decided to get wine when the account was closed. How did anyone at the adjoining tables know what was going on? Most likely he informed others in a load voice why his credit was cut off.

He turned a mole hill into a mountain.

I can only tell you from my experience similar to the op's was that we did not get a notice or a phone call when they cut us off. So I tend to believe the op.......

So I am gone from Carnival. All they had to do was apologize and offer something. A free bottle of wine would have been OK. I had three additional cruises planned with Carnival this year, but I will not be taking them. Instead, I've booked with Royal Caribbean. I've had 6 cruises with them, and they are just fine. No trouble. No hassle. Just good times.

Until the same thing happens with RC.Which line will you go to then ?

This I believe is the line that caused much of the flack on this thread:

But I don't need to be concerned with this. I, happily, will not cruise on a Carnival ship again, and Carnival is happy to be rid of me as well.

I haven't stated anything on this thread that I wouldn't have told them in person. This has been a great thread on educating people about Debit cards and the fact that they DO have limitations - I am in banking. Would I be embarrassed if I was called out in front of people? Yeah probably. Would I refuse to travel Carnival again just because I wasn't "offered" something - no.

And after 18 years in the Customer Service business I can wholeheartedly tell you that NO, the customer is not ALWAYS right. Some folks think they know what they are talking about when in fact they do not. This exact phrase makes some "customers" think this gives them a free pass to abuse people in the customer service business.

I have never posted anything like this but some of you people really need to think before you post and if that person was standing in front of you would you really say that. I would be very humilitated if someone slipped me a note saying my card was declined. You were not there and do not know what happened. Whoever error it was if you are trained in customer serivce you would apolized for the error. The customer comes first.

But I don't need to be concerned with this. I, happily, will not cruise on a Carnival ship again, and Carnival is happy to be rid of me as well.

I haven't stated anything on this thread that I wouldn't have told them in person. This has been a great thread on educating people about Debit cards and the fact that they DO have limitations - I am in banking. Would I be embarrassed if I was called out in front of people? Yeah probably. Would I refuse to travel Carnival again just because I wasn't "offered" something - no.

And after 18 years in the Customer Service business I can wholeheartedly tell you that NO, the customer is not ALWAYS right. Some folks think they know what they are talking about when in fact they do not. This exact phrase makes some "customers" think this gives them a free pass to abuse people in the customer service business.

Thank you, so much. I am also in customer service. I get threats everyday about how my company will be reported to the BBB, etc. Some people expect to be compensated for things that could have been avoided if better planning had been involved. And sometimes it's the most minor circumstance that brings the most obsessive complaint.

But so what if they choose to not cruise with Carnival again........it is their choice.....

I also think it is a great thread to give people a heads up on what to expect if you sadly get cut off......

;) some days are tough. I can tell you that most of my customers are wonderful people, but there is the one that pops up every once in while that just makes you want to pull all your hair out. :eek: The one with the mentality that "they are always right".

Thank you, so much. I am also in customer service. I get threats everyday about how my company will be reported to the BBB, etc. Some people expect to be compensated for things that could have been avoided if better planning had been involved. And sometimes it's the most minor circumstance that brings the most obsessive complaint.

I can only tell you from my experience similar to the op's was that we did not get a notice or a phone call when they cut us off. So I tend to believe the op.......

Now that I think about it, I did get a letter in my cabin, but not before I tried to use it in a slot machine!! Figured Carnival did my a favor that time, saved me a few bucks :D

I think the issue is more about customer service then a faulty system. I had no problem, crew was very nice and descreet as possible. But I know from past experience, in other areas of the ship, it isn't always what it should be. Best thing to do is note their name and put it on the comment card. Only once, on RCCL did we experience almost a whole ship of grumpy crew. Still had a great time though.

I think the issue is more about customer service then a faulty system. But I know from past experience, in other areas of the ship, it isn't always what it should be. Best thing to do is note their name and put it on the comment card. quote]

Yes I agree! Comment cards! Hopefully the op did this as well......

I think the issue is more about customer service then a faulty system. But I know from past experience, in other areas of the ship, it isn't always what it should be. Best thing to do is note their name and put it on the comment card. quote]

Yes I agree! Comment cards! Hopefully the op did this as well......

Personally, I have never done the comment cards because we are just too the last day. But I have found that some very specific suggestions that I made here prior to last summers cruise seemed to be in place. Now, I am not saying I a responsible...all I am saying is that suggestions made in an open forum such as CC are more than likely read by Carnival and the mass cruising public as well. Making comments posted here a very valuable tool.:D

Who are you kidding???;) The customer never comes first anymore!! Crappy customer service is all there is anymore. Everyone seems to be out for themselves. I have not seen really good honest customer service in a very long time. Anywhere!!!!:eek: Don't agree with it at all but that is the way it is!!

DonRay- I agree that our OP doesn't appear to understand how his debit card works but your statement to call mc or visa is incorrect. Carnival does run the item as a DEBIT/POS transaction as it cost them about 10 cents less per transaction. Calling MC or Visa would not have done a darn thing because the card is NOT an extension of credit and IS issued by the bank. It is a 3rd party agreement with mc and visa that allows the system use.

I stand by the fact that he probally exceeded his POS limit for the day.

This was absolutely a Debit Card issue. Carnival places holds on your card (which in this case is linked to your bank account). While your actual charges may have been "normal" the daily holds most likely exceeded your available balance. Perhaps because you booked a Suite those holds were higher, but without actual guidelines from Carnival we can only speculate. If you had backed your sign and sail with a real credit card (with respectable limit) this would not have been an issue. I usually carry a back up card too, just in case of glitch. Hopefully this thread will teach someone not to do what you did and use a debit card.

I'm clueless........but I'm betting this isn't the first time this happened to you:D

only 6 more posts for you to go.........

And the reason I want to stay invisible is really because of the rash of ridiculous threads and posts over the last week or so....they were all poofed of course....and for good reason too:D

Who are you kidding???;) The customer never comes first anymore!! Crappy customer service is all there is anymore. Everyone seems to be out for themselves. I have not seen really good honest customer service in a very long time. Anywhere!!!!:eek: Don't agree with it at all but that is the way it is!!

Actually good customer service is out there. Most companies have their standard policies. But I will tell you that if I have a customer who speaks to me with respect, I am more than willing to bend the rules to accomodate them even better than I am obligated to by management. If they try to intimidate me or my company, it is all strictly business, by the rules. No representative is expected to be treated rudely. We are allowed to end the conversation after warning the customer to show us respect and they refuse.

Actually good customer service is out there. Most companies have their standard policies. But I will tell you that if I have a customer who speaks to me with respect, I am more than willing to bend the rules to accomodate them even better than I am obligated to by management. If they try to intimidate me or my company, it is all strictly business, by the rules. No representative is expected to be treated rudely. We are allowed to end the conversation after warning the customer to show us respect and they refuse.

I agree, if one is angry at the company or the situation they do tend to take it out on the rep trying to help them. Whenever I have a big issue (like with my cable company) and I am upset the first thing I tell the rep on the phone is that I am very angry and upset with the company and as a result may raise my voice, please understand this is not directed at you personally and I really hope you can help me...sounds corny, I know, but it works...

Archived