Flawed On Board Credit Authorization Process

js74

As a matter of fact, I am a banker and have told customers when something is a bank error or MY error for that matter.

I don't BS people, I wouldn't want it done to me.

Could have also been a bank error. Do you really think the bank will tell you it was their error.

I would have felt the same way (embarrassed) but I wouldn't blame Carnival when it could of been the bank.

Ditto!!

I had this older gentleman come in one day, he says "I need to speak to an officer", I said "yes sir, how may I help you??", he says "I don't think so, I want to talk to the MAN over there". I eavesdropped on what he was telling my boss he needed, compiled the info. and took it into my bosses office. He was so rude to me, who do you think then looked like the idiot?? Treat others as you wish to be treated folks.

Actually good customer service is out there. Most companies have their standard policies. But I will tell you that if I have a customer who speaks to me with respect, I am more than willing to bend the rules to accomodate them even better than I am obligated to by management. If they try to intimidate me or my company, it is all strictly business, by the rules. No representative is expected to be treated rudely. We are allowed to end the conversation after warning the customer to show us respect and they refuse.

Ditto!!

I had this older gentleman come in one day, he says "I need to speak to an officer", I said "yes sir, how may I help you??", he says "I don't think so, I want to talk to the MAN over there". I eavesdropped on what he was telling my boss he needed, compiled the info. and took it into my bosses office. He was so rude to me, who do you think then looked like the idiot?? Treat others as you wish to be treated folks.

Also happens here in Mississippi; my wife works in City Hall as the receptionist, she gets it all the time. Men come in for various things like paying taxes, absentee voting etc., all of which is part of her job; they inevitably tell her that's good, sweetheart but I need to talk to a man...

Ditto!!

I used to work at an auto parts store. A man came in to ask about a part and the other lady at the desk offered to help him. He refused and demanded to speak to a man. Mind you, she had extensive training in our field. She yelled to the back office "This customer wants to talk to someone with a d***!. Pretty funny.

I'm still trying to figure out why such a minor issue is enough for someone to NEVER cruise Carnival again. Same old indignant, the world has to be perfect for me, response. Mistakes happen. I'm sure whenever the op makes a mistake he immediately writes a letter of apology to everyone involved, right? How can anyone go through life expecting everything to be absolutely perfect for them? Maybe because they think they are perfect. I just find the whole post more than a little arrogant. More than likely none of this was the Purser's fault or even the cruiseline's fault. There is a third party provider in between the bank and the cruiseline's software system. Does it really matter where it happened? It wasn't an intentional act which is what the OP needs to understand and more than likely it was because it was a debit card. We always use a credit card, much easier and has more protections/insurance. If this was such a major problem, don't you think we would have seen many more posts about it? I have seen multiple debit card problems posted, but not because Carnival is the issue, it's the fact it's a debit card. Different rules apply.

My credit union has been known to do computer maintenace on weekends and I have had my card denied a couple of times because of that, not because there wasn't any money. Because for some reason, it occasionally takes the whole system down temporarily. Servers do crash. I know ours at work, as well as this site in particular, don't always work the way they should. Denial is not always a reason for embarassment. Don't always assume a card is denied due to lack of funds.

Wow! the look on everyone's face must have looked like this :eek:.

I used to work at an auto parts store. A man came in to ask about a part and the other lady at the desk offered to help him. He refused and demanded to speak to a man. Mind you, she had extensive training in our field. She yelled to the back office "This customer wants to talk to someone with a d***!. Pretty funny.

I'm still trying to figure out why such a minor issue is enough for someone to NEVER cruise Carnival again. Same old indignant, the world has to be perfect for me, response. Mistakes happen. I'm sure whenever the op makes a mistake he immediately writes a letter of apology to everyone involved, right? How can anyone go through life expecting everything to be absolutely perfect for them? Maybe because they think they are perfect. I just find the whole post more than a little arrogant. More than likely none of this was the Purser's fault or even the cruiseline's fault. There is a third party provider in between the bank and the cruiseline's software system. Does it really matter where it happened? It wasn't an intentional act which is what the OP needs to understand and more than likely it was because it was a debit card. We always use a credit card, much easier and has more protections/insurance. If this was such a major problem, don't you think we would have seen many more posts about it? I have seen multiple debit card problems posted, but not because Carnival is the issue, it's the fact it's a debit card. Different rules apply.

My credit union has been known to do computer maintenace on weekends and I have had my card denied a couple of times because of that, not because there wasn't any money. Because for some reason, it occasionally takes the whole system down temporarily. Denial is not always a reason for embarassment. Don't always assume a card is denied due to lack of funds.

In my experience, when something this minute pushs someone over the edge, it was "the straw that broke the camel's back". Not saying this is what happened here. I'm just saying, that happens in my line of work. I mean, it was handled immediately!

That's easy.

1. Anyone that makes a negative comment about Carnival.

2. Anyone with less than 500 posts.

3. Anyone that has the audacity to disagree with a Blue Ribbon Cruiser.

It's in the FAQs...really.

Dr. Jack

Gee . . .I guess that makes you a prime troll!:D

In all seriousness a troll is someone who posts with what appears to be an agenda designed to cause an uproar. This OP is not a troll for posting his experience, but becomes one when he starts ranting about never setting foot on Carnival again, or being treated as a criminal, or having a $3800 cruise ruined over a 5minute mixup by his bank, not Carnival.

only 6 more posts for you to go.........

And the reason I want to stay invisible is really because of the rash of ridiculous threads and posts over the last week or so....they were all poofed of course....and for good reason too:D

Ok......give me a little time.....I will figure out who is missing.......

I love the challenge:D:p

I have never posted anything like this but some of you people really need to think before you post and if that person was standing in front of you would you really say that. I would be very humilitated if someone slipped me a note saying my card was declined. You were not there and do not know what happened. Whoever error it was if you are trained in customer serivce you would apolized for the error. The customer comes first.

I agree, I would find it very embarrassing, some things should be said in private or quietly where others cant hear. Even if things cannot be corrected, being spoken to in a correct calm manner goes a long way and would have diffused the situation.

I agree, I would find it very embarrassing, some things should be said in private or quietly where others cant hear. Even if things cannot be corrected, being spoken to in a correct calm manner goes a long way and would have diffused the situation.

I would be willing to bet if the waiter did not approach the op the way they did........there would not have been an ordeal.......;)

It was also wrong to put the waiter in that situation.......gee what to you think the reaction would be:rolleyes: If this is their policy (and apparently it is, because they did the same to us) it stinks! And I am not passive and did not let it go either:D

But I know this can happen everywhere......

I would be willing to bet if the waiter did not approach the op the way they did........there would not have been an ordeal.......;)

It was also wrong to put the waiter in that situation.......gee what to you think the reaction would be:rolleyes: If this is their policy (and apparently it is, because they did the same to us) it stinks! And I am not passive and did not let it go either:D

But I know this can happen everywhere......

I would be very angry if I was approached by a waiter and told in front of everybody that there was a problem with my card.

I would be very angry if I was approached by a waiter and told in front of everybody that there was a problem with my card.

I tend to believe that the waiter was discreet when he approached the OP. I think it was the OP's out of control reaction that led to his "humiliation". But, what do you all suggest that the waiter should have done? Let this guy "buy" a bottle of wine with dinner, knowing there was a problem with his card? Then, if his card, in fact, was overdrawn, who is supposed to pay for the wine?

I tend to believe that the waiter was discreet when he approached the OP. I think it was the OP's out of control reaction that led to his "humiliation". But, what do you all suggest that the waiter should have done? Let this guy "buy" a bottle of wine with dinner, knowing there was a problem with his card? Then, if his card, in fact, was overdrawn, who is supposed to pay for the wine?

Carnival does not let you get overdrawn....when you are coming close to your limit, they will put another authorization in to you card company. They do this before you come to your limit........if it is denied for whatever reason they can leave a message on you cabin phone, or leave a note in your cabin.........

Carnival does not let you get overdrawn....when you are coming close to your limit, they will put another authorization in to you card company. They do this before you come to your limit........if it is denied for whatever reason they can leave a message on you cabin phone, or leave a note in your cabin.........

Yes - they can, but apparently it's not policy - though it should be. There are too many opportunities for some level of embarrassment/confrontation when you are "denied". I mean come on, they have a captive audience - and should have in place a protocol so as not to put people "on the spot".

Congratulations (in advance :) )on your 10,000th post, BTW!!!

Tom

ANY TIME that I travel I call my bank and my credit card companies to let them know where I am going that way when I go to use it in any place than my hometown, they know they are allowed to process the transactions. I have always used my credit card while on cruises that way there isn't multiple holds on my checking account.

Way back in my past, I was the Asst. Credit Dept. Mgr. AND Collections Mgr. [lots of title, little pay] of a large Department store in a large city. That experience may not apply today, or it may, I don't know.

What I remember is that there were only 2 kinds of conversations about a person's credit. A reasonable adult discussion, or an instant and over the top, blow up.

Those with good credit standing, would cooperate and look for ways to identify and correct any problem.

Those with poor credit histories would ALWAYS explode. As tho bluster, bravado, and BS would cover THEIR problem.

When you are on the receiving end of a frothy screaming fit, maintaining your own professionalism is extremely difficult. Then both sides lose badly.

Things may have changed by now. Or not.

Dan

Why? Personally I'd have a hard time mustering up more than a trivial amount of irritation. More likely than anything else I'd make a wisecrack about the IT personnel who designed and maintain the system, and then go and take care of the issue. Life's too short to let little glitches anger or humiliate you.

Archived