Princess cruisetour info/tips

Ratdoggie

We are planning an Alaska cruise tour combo and I've been studying the boards. I would love any corrections or suggestions with the following:

First of all, this is what I've picked up....

-We pay for our own food on the land tour.

-We should spend 2 nights at Denali Lodge to have a full day to explore.

-The Tundra Wildnerness Tour is the way to go, avoid the Natural History Tour.

-Plan to cruise after the land tour for more relaxation.

Questions/Suggestions-

1. Fairbanks or Copper River? Suggestions? DH and I both would like anything that increases our odds of seeing wildlife and/or the Northern Lights if we are lucky.

2. Are the tours "fixed"? For example, some cruisetours specificially mention the TWT or NHT, or going to a gold mine, sternwheeler, etc. I'm not sure if those are suggested tours or if we are signing up for them as part of the package...are they included in the price?

Thanks in advance for any tips you may have! :)

We are planning an Alaska cruise tour combo and I've been studying the boards. I would love any corrections or suggestions with the following:

First of all, this is what I've picked up....

-We pay for our own food on the land tour.

-We should spend 2 nights at Denali Lodge to have a full day to explore.

-The Tundra Wildnerness Tour is the way to go, avoid the Natural History Tour.

-Plan to cruise after the land tour for more relaxation.

Questions/Suggestions-

1. Fairbanks or Copper River? Suggestions? DH and I both would like anything that increases our odds of seeing wildlife and/or the Northern Lights if we are lucky.

2. Are the tours "fixed"? For example, some cruisetours specificially mention the TWT or NHT, or going to a gold mine, sternwheeler, etc. I'm not sure if those are suggested tours or if we are signing up for them as part of the package...are they included in the price?

Thanks in advance for any tips you may have! :)

You ask some interesting questions and I'd like to see the responses you get. We are cruising first and have opted (mid June) to go to Copper River on our landtour with Princess

I don't ever do the TWT myself, and it actually is too short for my preferences. IF you have 2 nights in Denali Park, I wouldn't even consider it with a cruisetour. I also always recommend you just have your booking agent cancel any tours, NHT/TWT and the YOU make reservations for your bus choice of preference. Simple to do with the advantage of it being your choice and reservation.

As for Copper River, in my opinion the ONLY worthwhile and "necessary" tours to do here are to get to McCarthy/Kennicott. Fly in is my preference. There's nothing at the lodge to really occupy your time and the bus transit there is hardly the highlight. Fishing is the other "hot" tour choice. :) With this area and Princess definately falls short in, is to try and get one with time in Valdez- if there is one?? The most scenic portion of the highway is Cooper Center/Valdez, not sure if they stop at Worthington, but hope so?? The fast ferry, also in my opinion is a negative. You get far more out of the regular run Whittier/Valdez. The fast ferry is transportation base first. No time for any of the short detours/stops of the regular.

Anything listed- Gold Dredge, Natural History etc you have paid for and it is included. The only refunds I have heard about are at Denali park with Princess.

Fairbanks with cruisetours sees very little. I always suggest people consider adding at least a day and get a rental car, so as to take advantage of being there. It is hardly worth it for just the two added tours then leaving.

Key with cruisetours- DO your homework- and go for as long as you can afford. I don't see any worthwhile cruisetours under 5 days, and usually those are lacking somewhere. Longer is better- always here.

As already noted, you have no chance for any northern lights unless going in Sept., and even then, without your own transportation, you probably aren't going to see anything as you have to get outside of area lights. You also have a few more off peak years at this time. Again, do your homework on this priority, I've posted several times on recommendations.

With Sept, cruisetours, I only recommend northbound, early Sept trips. Inside passage has the worse potential for weather past the first several days. Interior Alaska holds out more with Sept being a decent time for a visit.

I also always recommend you just have your booking agent cancel any tours, NHT/TWT and the YOU make reservations for your bus choice of preference.

If I do this and book the NPS shuttle bus, would shuttle service be available to/from Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge and the park?

Thanks for any info.

If I do this and book the NPS shuttle bus' date=' would shuttle service be available to/from Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge and the park?

Thanks for any info.[/quote']

It is, but not for the real early shuttle buses. I always suggest people contact the lodge directly in May, when they open for their lodge shuttle bus schedule. Then book your Denali Shuttle bus.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't ever do the TWT myself, and it actually is too short for my preferences. IF you have 2 nights in Denali Park, I wouldn't even consider it with a cruisetour.

Key with cruisetours- DO your homework- and go for as long as you can afford. I don't see any worthwhile cruisetours under 5 days, and usually those are lacking somewhere. Longer is better- always here.

Interesting perspective - we're in initial 'planning/research' phase. We were considering a tour then cruise. What are your thoughts about the following:

1. Fly into Fairbanks - make our way to Denali Wilderness Lodge (any suggestions?)

2. Spend 1-2 days, partake in either a shuttle bus or tour on Denali by booking directly with http://reservedenali.com/tours/index.cfm

3. Make our way down to Whittier (again suggestions?) to join a 7 day cruise to Vancouver.

As already noted, you have no chance for any northern lights unless going in Sept., and even then, without your own transportation, you probably aren't going to see anything as you have to get outside of area lights. You also have a few more off peak years at this time. Again, do your homework on this priority, I've posted several times on recommendations.

We're thinking first week of September, and then upon arrival in Vancouver to spend few days with friends before flying back east. How would you suggest we maximize northern light viewing?

With Sept, cruisetours, I only recommend northbound, early Sept trips. Inside passage has the worse potential for weather past the first several days. Interior Alaska holds out more with Sept being a decent time for a visit.

So much for starting in Alaska and ending in Vancouver - better to flip the itinerary? Or if we sail Sept 1 from Whittier, are we still ok?

Interesting perspective - we're in initial 'planning/research' phase. We were considering a tour then cruise. What are your thoughts about the following:

1. Fly into Fairbanks - make our way to Denali Wilderness Lodge (any suggestions?)

2. Spend 1-2 days, partake in either a shuttle bus or tour on Denali by booking directly with http://reservedenali.com/tours/index.cfm

3. Make our way down to Whittier (again suggestions?) to join a 7 day cruise to Vancouver.

We're thinking first week of September, and then upon arrival in Vancouver to spend few days with friends before flying back east. How would you suggest we maximize northern light viewing?

So much for starting in Alaska and ending in Vancouver - better to flip the itinerary? Or if we sail Sept 1 from Whittier, are we still ok?

There isn't a peak aurora until 2012, so unless you are going to have more time, I wouldn't make a priority for aurora. You ideally need to have a couple weeks +++. :) Chances are slim with a few days.

How are you planning on transiting?? I wouldn't be going into Fairbanks, unless I was going to be touring there a couple days. The one way costs are considerable with limited car rentals. The train is the most restrictive on freedom, and missing everything in between. Round trip Anchorage can work out extremely well.

There isn't a peak aurora until 2012, so unless you are going to have more time, I wouldn't make a priority for aurora. You ideally need to have a couple weeks +++. :) Chances are slim with a few days.

Noted, many thanks.

How are you planning on transiting?? I wouldn't be going into Fairbanks, unless I was going to be touring there a couple days. The one way costs are considerable with limited car rentals. The train is the most restrictive on freedom, and missing everything in between. Round trip Anchorage can work out extremely well.

Still research/reading phase - my wife isn't a keen outdoors person but i thought spending one full day in Denali National park via shuttle bus (Kantishna 91 Miles One Way, 13 hours Round Trip) would be worthwhile.

I went on-line and checked out Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge @ $220 per night vs. Denali Wilderness Lodge @$399 per night (but includes all meals, etc.).

Hadn't looked into getting to/from Denali - we're open to ideas and what would you recommend?

Yes, anyone can stay at the Princess Lodges. They market specials heavily to locals. Check online frequently for deals. Last summer, it was either $99 per night or buy one night and get one free. This year I've seen the 2nd night for 50% off. Aramark lodges are running the same special, plus if you turn 50 in 2009 your second night is free. Aramark is also running a "Sourdough special" for $128 a night and a military special for $99 a night.

Noted, many thanks.

Still research/reading phase - my wife isn't a keen outdoors person but i thought spending one full day in Denali National park via shuttle bus (Kantishna 91 Miles One Way, 13 hours Round Trip) would be worthwhile.

I went on-line and checked out Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge @ $220 per night vs. Denali Wilderness Lodge @$399 per night (but includes all meals, etc.).

Hadn't looked into getting to/from Denali - we're open to ideas and what would you recommend?

I don't recommend Kantishna for a day trip, only with an overnight. Otherwise, essentially you are just paying for a very overpriced lunch. Wonder Lake shuttle bus is 1/3 the cost and only a few miles fewer. BUT do be warned about the significant bug problems. I don't go there before mid August. Be WELL PREPARED if going prior to this with Deet, bug nets etc etc etc.

There is no way I would be paying $220 for the Denali Princess, but that is me. There many lodging options to consider besides this so so property.

I don't recommend Kantishna for a day trip, only with an overnight. Otherwise, essentially you are just paying for a very overpriced lunch. Wonder Lake shuttle bus is 1/3 the cost and only a few miles fewer. BUT do be warned about the significant bug problems. I don't go there before mid August. Be WELL PREPARED if going prior to this with Deet, bug nets etc etc etc.

There is no way I would be paying $220 for the Denali Princess, but that is me. There many lodging options to consider besides this so so property.

Are there alternative dining options adjacent to Copper River, Denali and McKinley Princess Lodges and if so what are suggested/recommended please.

Noted, many thanks.

The park started the Kantishna shuttle a couple of years ago. I have wanted to do it but have never had the time. I think the fare is around $47 this year. Kantishna is a neat place, but I'm not sure where the shuttle drops you off. Make sure to bring lots of food and water as it's a long day. You might be able to buy lunch or snacks at one of the lodges, but again, I'm not sure where the shuttle drops you off. They usually spend around 20-30 minutes at the turnaround.

The park started the Kantishna shuttle a couple of years ago. I have wanted to do it but have never had the time. I think the fare is around $47 this year. Kantishna is a neat place, but I'm not sure where the shuttle drops you off. Make sure to bring lots of food and water as it's a long day. You might be able to buy lunch or snacks at one of the lodges, but again, I'm not sure where the shuttle drops you off. They usually spend around 20-30 minutes at the turnaround.

Yes, you're right. There are two options from what i gather:

1. Formal tour @$145 per person

2. Shuttle bus @$45 per person - self-guided, option of getting on/off, catching later bus, etc.

From what I've read in past 24 hours, option 2 is sufficient but you do need an entire day. There are rest stops set up strategically along with route.....

Re other comments re price of lodging, I agree. Princess Wilderness Lodge is not cheap, the other lodge even more. I'm sure there are other options and I've just picked up a AAA TourBook (although they only list less than a dozen lodges, motels, cabins).

At this time, looks like we're not going to do the land tour. What is offered as combo cruisetour means land sector too rushed (at least IMHO) and we'll save it for a possible future return option. There are enough things (and by the time we're done probably cost more than the cruise itself) to do during stops in skagway, junea to make this a memorable cruise.

Yes, you're right. There are two options from what i gather:

1. Formal tour @$145 per person

2. Shuttle bus @$45 per person - self-guided, option of getting on/off, catching later bus, etc.

From what I've read in past 24 hours, option 2 is sufficient but you do need an entire day. There are rest stops set up strategically along with route.....

Re other comments re price of lodging, I agree. Princess Wilderness Lodge is not cheap, the other lodge even more. I'm sure there are other options and I've just picked up a AAA TourBook (although they only list less than a dozen lodges, motels, cabins).

At this time, looks like we're not going to do the land tour. What is offered as combo cruisetour means land sector too rushed (at least IMHO) and we'll save it for a possible future return option. There are enough things (and by the time we're done probably cost more than the cruise itself) to do during stops in skagway, junea to make this a memorable cruise.

However, in the past, Kantishna shuttle buses dropped off way outside. And with property there privately owned, you were limited on where and how far you were supposed to go. I would suggest you verify this directly on what the current restrictions, if any, may be??

Wonder Lake may be a better option?

AAA is not a good resource for Denali Park lodging.

Here is another list http://denalichamber.com/plugins/yellowpages/yellowpages.php?1.1

Archived