Whittier to Anchorage - Best Way

catdancers

On May 14, 2005 we need to get from the cruise ship port to Anchorage. We wanted to take the Princess train, but this is no longer available.

Several shuttle companies need 4-6 people to make a reservation and we're only 2 people.

My question is: Would it be best just to take the Princess motorcoach transfer at about $55/person OR should we rent a car and drive to Anchorage? We would like to see Anchorage anyway and we typically have lots of luggage.

Are cars available in Whittier at the cruise ship terminal? I have searched Travelocity and since I don't know the terminal address, they do not show any availability.

Thanks for any info.

Hi, we rented a car in Whittier. As of last summer, Avis was the only company available and they are open only seasonally. We really enjoyed the drive over from Whittier to Anchorage being able to stop and such when we wanted to. That being said, there is a $125.00 drop off fee attached to the normal rental rate. It ended up being about $226.00 for the entire day. We also knew we wanted a car in Anchorage due to a very late flight, so it made more sense for us to rent for the day instead of transfering, and then renting a car in Anchorage.

Thr Princess car is hooked to an Alaska Railroad train. The Alaska Railroad also has passenger cars. Even if the Princess car is full, the Alaska Railroad car might not be. They do have a web site with info and prices, etc. Enjoy Alaska!

We had a mid size, I believe. It was a Toyota Camry. Whittier is a very small town and the Avis "counter" is located in the harbor store a short walk across the street from the Princess disembarkation area. My husband picked up the car, while I waited with the luggage. We dropped the car off at the airport in anchorage when it was time to check in for our flight. Good luck!

The Princess and Alaska RR regular runs are 2 SEPARATE trains on this route. The contracted train leaves in the morning from Whitter and the regular run at 6pm. Only car rental option is Avis with a $125 drop fee in addition to the daily rental. If you only have a day there- this is what I recommend so to have your car and go. Don't waste your too short time, waiting and loading a bus then later picking up a car- you would need to bus to the airport. Again with your short time- you want an airport drop off. (I'll assume you are flying out of there??) Call the Anchorage Avis directly and inquire how to make reservations. Cars are very limited.

• 1 month later...
On May 14, 2005 we need to get from the cruise ship port to Anchorage. We wanted to take the Princess train, but this is no longer available.

Several shuttle companies need 4-6 people to make a reservation and we're only 2 people.

My question is: Would it be best just to take the Princess motorcoach transfer at about $55/person OR should we rent a car and drive to Anchorage? We would like to see Anchorage anyway and we typically have lots of luggage.

Are cars available in Whittier at the cruise ship terminal? I have searched Travelocity and since I don't know the terminal address, they do not show any availability.

Thanks for any info.

Got to realize, a shuttle service can not operate on just two people. Can you imagine paying a driver for 4 hours , tunnel fee and gas? So say $49pp =$98

$98-tunnel fee 35.= $63 -gas $20(min)=43. - driver $8 x 4=32, now leaves you with $9 net to pay for vehicle , advertising and insurance, not counting maintence. I highly respect this indusrty. We are lucky to have options. If we had not shuttle companies, your cruise transfers would be monopolized and about $150 pp instead of $55.

Archived