MSC Needs to improve on-line reservation system to be competitive

Middleager

When I found out children can cruise free on MSC, I was excieted and wanted to find more about March/2010 Caribbean cruise. Went on the MSC website, but found no capability to do on-line booking.

I wanted to find the pricing/availability for both March/09 and March/10. There are pricing shown for March/09. But when I wanted find what the availability or price total (including tax), for 2 adults, or 2 adults+1 child, or 2 adult+2children, there is no capability. It asked me to fill out a form.

So I filled out the form. The next day a MSC contracted agent sent a standard email asking me to contact her. Even though they have all my info and the sailing I was asking for, the response did not give me a price for the sailing data/ship, just asked me to contact back. She also left a message on my phone.

I emailed back, no response, then called. Well, they don't have pricing for Mar/10 yet. For March/09, to my surprise they still have interior quad rooms available (even though people in other threads said quad rooms are booked up way ahead). She also confirmed they are not able to do on-line booking, or provide the total pricing I wanted. I have to call each time.

In some other threads, some people said they have no problem filling out form, and waiting, and then calling each time to check. But I don't have a lot of time to wait or to call. I like to do on-line checking and comparisons, and of course like the ability to book online.

If MSC wants to be competitive, they better beef up their on-line rate/availability/booking system. If it's such a hassle to get the most basic info, it will just draw less traffic/attention and therefore booking to their line. Oh yes, if MSC would also figure out what they will charge for March/2010, that'll help too.

When I found out children can cruise free on MSC, I was excieted and wanted to find more about March/2010 Caribbean cruise. Went on the MSC website, but found no capability to do on-line booking.

I wanted to find the pricing/availability for both March/09 and March/10. There are pricing shown for March/09. But when I wanted find what the availability or price total (including tax), for 2 adults, or 2 adults+1 child, or 2 adult+2children, there is no capability. It asked me to fill out a form.

So I filled out the form. The next day a MSC contracted agent sent a standard email asking me to contact her. Even though they have all my info and the sailing I was asking for, the response did not give me a price for the sailing data/ship, just asked me to contact back. She also left a message on my phone.

I emailed back, no response, then called. Well, they don't have pricing for Mar/10 yet. For March/09, to my surprise they still have interior quad rooms available (even though people in other threads said quad rooms are booked up way ahead). She also confirmed they are not able to do on-line booking, or provide the total pricing I wanted. I have to call each time.

In some other threads, some people said they have no problem filling out form, and waiting, and then calling each time to check. But I don't have a lot of time to wait or to call. I like to do on-line checking and comparisons, and of course like the ability to book online.

If MSC wants to be competitive, they better beef up their on-line rate/availability/booking system. If it's such a hassle to get the most basic info, it will just draw less traffic/attention and therefore booking to their line. Oh yes, if MSC would also figure out what they will charge for March/2010, that'll help too.

Middleager, I am confused as to what you mean by "...I have to call each time." Your travel agent should be able to book your state room and track pricing for you. Did you try MSC's 1-800-666-9333 number? I am having problems with our itinerary. We are booked for the April 18th cruise and the itinerary claims on Wednesday we will be in St John U S Virgin Islands, when in fact we will be in St John Antuiga. When I first noticed it and questioned the agent, she assured me we were in U.S. V.I. I called MSC and they assured me it is Antuiga. Amercian Vacation Center's agent claims it is a problem with the "Sabre System" and they can't seem to fix the documents.:confused: This is why I also like to book everything myself directly through the cruiseline.

I agree - I need more info online. I also filed in information on MSC website and next morning got reply that there are no more spaces on March 14th 2008 sailing. But after that (few hours later) same agent called and told me that few cabins become available and did all paperwork.

I am also booked through American Vacation Center. On my ticket it also states that on March 18 I'll be on "Saint John, US Virgin Islands" instead of Antigua. Unfortunatelly when I asked about his my TA, there was no reply with explanation. I don't care which Island, but I NEED TO KNOW, so I can plan.

Now about pricing. What I know is just certain categories can accomodate 4 people. For example outside obstructed view - category 5. For balcony I would have to go to category 9. My ticket price was:

2 adults - each pay price x$. Then each adult pays 150$ "Port charge" and each adult pays 47.45 taxes. For both children I paid just taxes - 47.57each. This should give you idea how to calculate total.

I agree that their website needs work. I just booked through a travel agent. A great site is *************.com . I think there are probably rooms available because people jumped ship after hearing initial complaints about the ship. From what I have been hearing, they have things figured out and I can't wait to go. I paid $2095 TOTAL including all fees/taxes, etc for a family of 4 in a category 11 Superior Balcony room. This is the highest category I can get because a suite will not hold 4 people. I thought it was a great deal!

Go to www.smartcruiser.com Thats how I booked my cruise. It was quick and painless. They may not be booking March 2010. I think they are only up to January 2010.

Hope This Helps.

Just checked some prices. It was a bit confusing at first. I could not figure out if it was per person. I followed through as if I was going to book.......very nice...prices were per cabin. I will definitly add this site to my list.Thanks

My ticket price was:

2 adults - each pay price x$. Then each adult pays 150$ "Port charge" and each adult pays 47.45 taxes. For both children I paid just taxes - 47.57each. This should give you idea how to calculate total.

Thanks vimtmp. This is the price missing when looking up on-line. But these prices would be for a certain itinerary. In a different itinerary that has different sea days and going to different ports, the port charges and taxes can be different.

That's where MSC is not competitive when they cannot show those prices on line, as you check different itineraries.

Middleager, I am confused as to what you mean by "...I have to call each time." Your travel agent should be able to book your state room and track pricing for you. Did you try MSC's 1-800-666-9333 number?

Maybe a good agent will track price drops for you, but most people say not to rely on the agent to do that. I would like to check myself to be sure. If I didn't book yet, and like to check on-line for availability, that's where MSC doesn't give you the info, and ask you to fill out form or call them.

I called the 1-800 number from the email response (a different one than MSC's). What's the difference in calling the MSC's 1-800 number, and the MSC contracted agent in US with their 1-800 number. If there is a difference, why would MSC contract with the one certain agency for their N.A. bookings?

• 2 weeks later...
I agree that their website needs work. I just booked through a travel agent. A great site is *************.com . I think there are probably rooms available because people jumped ship after hearing initial complaints about the ship. From what I have been hearing, they have things figured out and I can't wait to go. I paid $2095 TOTAL including all fees/taxes, etc for a family of 4 in a category 11 Superior Balcony room. This is the highest category I can get because a suite will not hold 4 people. I thought it was a great deal!

I happened to read this right away. I know you are not suppose to put in certain websites. I was able to get this one before it was blanked out..it is a good site.

I happened to read this right away. I know you are not suppose to put in certain websites. I was able to get this one before it was blanked out..it is a good site.

I am not encoraging people to put websites on here. I had done it before to try and share good info with others. That is how I found out they blank you out. I am not sure what sites are ok to mention, only that this is not a place for private advertising of agencys.

I now know better but occassionally pick one up from someone else.

I also have problems with there "AVC" agents. Our cruise has been paid in full for many months and we still haven't received any documentation. I try emailing and calling and only when I get irate and irritated do I get through to someone. Yet, they always refer me back to the same agent that doesn't respond to me in the first place. Not real happy with that, I wish MSC would let you book through another agent.

I also have problems with there "AVC" agents. Our cruise has been paid in full for many months and we still haven't received any documentation. I try emailing and calling and only when I get irate and irritated do I get through to someone. Yet, they always refer me back to the same agent that doesn't respond to me in the first place. Not real happy with that, I wish MSC would let you book through another agent.

Having trouble following you. I booked through a different online agent other than AVC and had no problems.

When are you actually due to travel? If the documentation you are chasing up is your actual tickets then these are not normally issued much earlier than 3 weeks before sailing. if you mean that you have never receieved even a confirmation, then i can well understand why you are concerned

Archived