Kids Camp & gratiuty

lilkrz

I'll be taking my grandkids for the first time and all will be going to camp. I was wondering about tipping for each child. I know we'll be charged per child per day a fee but does that include the camp counselors. I've notice that some can have as many as three counselors to a group. If you have to tip all three that could get very expensive. Help! What is expected.

The kids club is included in the cost of the cruise. The staff is salaried personnel and no gratuity is expected, although many people will tip a special staff person.

Tipping is at the discretion of the passenger, unless it is charged as a service fee. For the most part, the only staff you tip are service personnel, such as the dining room staff, cabin steward and bar servers (15% gratuity is already included in bar service).

The kids club is included in the cost of the cruise.

The only exception to this is some of the "Late-night" activities for the younger set. Without being sure of the cutoff time or the cost, it's something like $5 per hour per child from 10pm until 1am for the 3-11 age groups. If you only use the clubs during the day and the younger kids are out before 10, then there are no additional charges.

The staff is on salary and not relying on tips, unlike the waiters, etc. I find that if one staff member goes above and beyond for my kids during the cruise, I will give them a gratuity because, well, I'm especially grateful. They don't expect it and you shouldn't worry if it isn't in your cruise budget.

As a former youth staff, we did pool tips. If someone really liked a staff member and wanted to give them money personally, I've seen cases where the youth staff kept that money, and times when they shared it. It was encouraged to share the tips - as it made for a more "team" environment. I am not sure if anything has changed, but that's how it worked when I was there.

If the kid was a tough kid, (and parents know if their kids are tough....) like hyper kids, or ones who were really high maintenance, those parents usually tipped- as they were aware of how much work their kid can be.... But again, we never expected it.

We are salaried, but those tips were very nice.

All the comments parents make about the youth center go to head office - so make sure to fill out the ratings. Please be gentle on the negative stuff - unless it's really warranted. Sometimes poeple just like to complain. All these comments go to the managers. I have seen some nasty stuff written when it wasn't warranted.

I once worked a cruise where the father took out his child, (checked them out), and the mother came in and yelled at us, for letting the father take out the kid! We had no instructions, written, or verbal to not do this. And, the father checked the kid in at the beginning of the night. Anyways - she wrote a nasty comment in her rating and it was not pleasant to hear it, as the client is always right! Another pax was mad that we wouldn't wipe her kids bottom (kids are supposed to be FULLY potty trained). We beeped the parents to come - they didn't. So we had to go looking for them. Meanwhile, the poor kid is sitting on the can. Ofcourse, we got yelled at.....

So, please, lots of praise! And make SURE any kids you drop off are potty trained and if they have allergies, tell the staff, given them a written note, and if the kids take Ritalin, please given them their meds. I can't tell you how often parents wouldn't give the kids their meds and we had to deal with the "withdrawl" or "coming down". And, you'd be suprised - but MANY kids are on meds. And many have allergies.

I'll be taking my grandkids for the first time and all will be going to camp. I was wondering about tipping for each child. I know we'll be charged per child per day a fee but does that include the camp counselors. I've notice that some can have as many as three counselors to a group. If you have to tip all three that could get very expensive. Help! What is expected.

Adventure ocean is included in your cruise fare.

I always tip around $10 for the days my daughter was there. The $50-$60 is well worth it. The kids have a great time and the staff works very hard.

As a former youth staff, we did pool tips. If someone really liked a staff member and wanted to give them money personally, I've seen cases where the youth staff kept that money, and times when they shared it. It was encouraged to share the tips - as it made for a more "team" environment. I am not sure if anything has changed, but that's how it worked when I was there.

If the kid was a tough kid, (and parents know if their kids are tough....) like hyper kids, or ones who were really high maintenance, those parents usually tipped- as they were aware of how much work their kid can be.... But again, we never expected it.

We are salaried, but those tips were very nice.

All the comments parents make about the youth center go to head office - so make sure to fill out the ratings. Please be gentle on the negative stuff - unless it's really warranted. Sometimes poeple just like to complain. All these comments go to the managers. I have seen some nasty stuff written when it wasn't warranted.

I once worked a cruise where the father took out his child, (checked them out), and the mother came in and yelled at us, for letting the father take out the kid! We had no instructions, written, or verbal to not do this. And, the father checked the kid in at the beginning of the night. Anyways - she wrote a nasty comment in her rating and it was not pleasant to hear it, as the client is always right! Another pax was mad that we wouldn't wipe her kids bottom (kids are supposed to be FULLY potty trained). We beeped the parents to come - they didn't. So we had to go looking for them. Meanwhile, the poor kid is sitting on the can. Ofcourse, we got yelled at.....

So, please, lots of praise! And make SURE any kids you drop off are potty trained and if they have allergies, tell the staff, given them a written note, and if the kids take Ritalin, please given them their meds. I can't tell you how often parents wouldn't give the kids their meds and we had to deal with the "withdrawl" or "coming down". And, you'd be suprised - but MANY kids are on meds. And many have allergies.

You sure earn your money!

Archived