A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

We are taking our 17-year-old grandson on the April 4 sailing of the Noordam. He hopes to pursue a career in culinary arts and after much research, Hal seemed a perfect fit for all of us. This is our 4th "grandchild" trip and each is done to meet the interests and talents of that grandchild.

My question concerns the cooking classes, the cooking demonstrations and the galley tour. Is there any way of signing up pre-cruise for any of these, as it is our main reason for this trip, or do we have to take our chances and hope to get him a spot?

He is over-the-moon excited about this, and we want it to be as special as we can make it for him. He has overcome many difficulties in his life and we are trying to make this as fun and as beneficial for him as possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks from a loving Nana.

Hi Nana!

The culinary field is of high interest to me as well and I have a sibling who has made a career out of it. I after many years branched into travel.

The galley tour is in the Daily Program and is an event typically on a sea day. Show up a little early as the line can get pretty long otherwise.

The cooking demonstrations are just based on how many people can fit in the theater or Queen's Lounge (you don't mention what ship this will be) and would be standing room only after that.

As for the hands on classes, these are arranged onboard and sign-ups would occur then. I would recommend you contact ship services 800-541-1576 with regard to the specific ship you will be on and ask if they can advise you what time and location the signups will be as they are rather small, and then they will contact the ship and confirm the specifics. Then, you just need to try to get to the pier a little earlier, be onboard before a lot of other folks and head to that location at the time given and sign up. (Not a hassle if you know where to go before you board :) )

Very awesome to see relatives supporting their family member's dreams and interests. I applaud you all for doing that!

I am new to these boards. It is refreshing to have someone actually admit to working for the line rather than mask themselves as a frequent fan of a particular line and thereby presenting biased opinions!

We traveled to Alaska via HAL 7 years ago and loved it. Due to some health issues we had to take a break from cruising but are now back into the swing of things. Food and service were outstanding.

We are interested in the HAL cruise that leaves from Montreal(or NY) and sails to NY(or Montreal). Can you give me any insider info on that cruise?

Any tips? We need to decide between that or Bermuda.

Thanks.

Ductch, thanks so much for the information. I will call the number you provided as the sailing gets a little nearer to make sure they have the correct details.

We'll try to get to the pier early, also. I appreciate your help.

We are taking our 17-year-old grandson on the April 4 sailing of the Noordam. He hopes to pursue a career in culinary arts and after much research, Hal seemed a perfect fit for all of us. This is our 4th "grandchild" trip and each is done to meet the interests and talents of that grandchild.

My question concerns the cooking classes, the cooking demonstrations and the galley tour. Is there any way of signing up pre-cruise for any of these, as it is our main reason for this trip, or do we have to take our chances and hope to get him a spot?

He is over-the-moon excited about this, and we want it to be as special as we can make it for him. He has overcome many difficulties in his life and we are trying to make this as fun and as beneficial for him as possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks from a loving Nana.

I would say that on 99% of our cruises the kitchen tour has always been on the first day of the cruise at 10:00 -- yes -- get there early!!

Especially if you want to go to the free cooking demonstration -- and the first one is usually at 10:30 or 11 AM following the kitchen tour.

Go to the front desk as soon as you get on the ship to sign up for the cooking classes -- they fill up quickly -- 12 people to a class -- $29 per person. Also ask the dates and times and to see the menus as different items will be cooked. You will be borken down into 3 groups -- each group cooking something different. Afterwards you all will go to the Pinnacle to eat what you have cooked -- and free wine is served.

Just noticed that you will be on the Noordam. The cooking classes will be held in the Queen's Lounge -- you may have to go there on the first day to sign up for the classes -- the Vista class ships do things differently.

Dutch, thank you for your reply.

I knew that the current cruise was still out and I guess if there was anything horrible occuring we would have heard. "No news is good news" I hope! We still have four months...we will see how things go. Hope you get to take that trip this summer...it is always fun to be with people we LOVE!!!!!!!!! Shirley

Seems some Mariners already are receiving in the mail printed hardcopy versions of the new/current Mariner Magazine. Any idea when the link on HAL's site will be updated to reflect not the Fall 2009 issue but the new/current one? Also, the mailing of the printed version seems totally random. Is there a real process ... or is it indeed random?

Krazy Kruiser,

Thanks for the great information. I'll double-check with the Seattle office before we go - sure don't want him to miss out.

BTW, I was reading on the HAL site where they have teen cooking classes, but our grandson is a culinary arts major at a magnet school and I think he may be bored to death at a teen class making taffy or pretzels.

Does HAL have an age limit for the regular classes that might prohibit him from enrolling? My hubby plans to attend with him as a grandfather-grandson activity, so I sure hope it's possible.

Cruising in May 2010 on Westerdam. We disembark in Venice and have a 11:25 am flight out of the airport. The ship arrives at approximately 7:00 am. We are wondering if we should hire a private shuttle to take us to the airport early or just use a Westerdam transfer. We need to be in the first group off the ship as early as possible. We are also thinking about carrying our luggage off the ship ourselves.

I am new to these boards. It is refreshing to have someone actually admit to working for the line rather than mask themselves as a frequent fan of a particular line and thereby presenting biased opinions!

We traveled to Alaska via HAL 7 years ago and loved it. Due to some health issues we had to take a break from cruising but are now back into the swing of things. Food and service were outstanding.

We are interested in the HAL cruise that leaves from Montreal(or NY) and sails to NY(or Montreal). Can you give me any insider info on that cruise?

Any tips? We need to decide between that or Bermuda.

Thanks.

Maasdam will run cruises between Bostom and Montreal and Eurodam runs between Manhattan and Quebec City. Bermuda will be roundtrip Manhattan.

No real insider info to give, but these cruises are all incredibly popular and typically book full.

Glad to hear you are back into cruising again! Hope we can welcome you aboard soon!

Seems some Mariners already are receiving in the mail printed hardcopy versions of the new/current Mariner Magazine. Any idea when the link on HAL's site will be updated to reflect not the Fall 2009 issue but the new/current one? Also, the mailing of the printed version seems totally random. Is there a real process ... or is it indeed random?

Your questions would best be directed to the Mariner Society. I'm uncertain of the answers but am certain they can assist.

We need to be in the first group off the ship as early as possible. We are also thinking about carrying our luggage off the ship ourselves.

I hope this doesn't mean you scheduled a flight earlier than the recommended timeframe for Venice.

Especially as there are heightened protocol in place for anything coming into the US from abraod, I would recommend at LEAST a 4-5 hour window from the time the ship is likely to START DISEMBARKING (note: different than arriva time) and the time your flight leaves.

Given you may have booked something earlier than recommended I would be hesitant in assisting you with this query.

Our flights are at 11:35 for 4 adults and 11:45 for the other 4. We live in San Diego, CA and those were the flights available to us when booking 15 hrs to 17 hrs. flights. The other flights had 27 to 28 hrs. flight time. Would like to stay over night in Venice but can't.

Thank you for your help.

DBA, I just heard that Newwest has cancelled their Norwegian Star charter to the Olympics. Do you think HAL can house the Make-a-Wish kids that were supposed to be on the Star? I feel bad for everyone that had reservations but especially those kids. :(

Question for DBA --- We have been on several Panama Canal cruises and have always enjoyed Punta Arenas. Now they are docking at Puerto Caldera ? Why the change ? We don't use shorex much and tend to stay on the ship and enjoy the port. Puerto Caldera has nothing to offer. Its an empty cargo port. On the survey I always gave Costa Rica the top grade but now I enter it as the lowest. I know that the currents are strong at Punta Arenas but we have been there several times on big and smaller ships and they have not had a problem. Will they go back to Punta Arenas in the future ?

Why would HAL only offer Intransit Tours for Anchorage on their 14 Night Alaska Cruise? I seriously doubt anyone is going to leave the ship at this Port when the ship continues on to Kodiak Homer and Hubbard Glacier.I have booked and paid for Grand Anchorage and Portage Glacier Tour and it has dissappeared from the Tours.No notification from HAL

DBA, I just heard that Newwest has cancelled their Norwegian Star charter to the Olympics. Do you think HAL can house the Make-a-Wish kids that were supposed to be on the Star? I feel bad for everyone that had reservations but especially those kids. :(

All the Make-a-Wish Kids have been accommodated.It was done very quickly!

Several Hotels stepped up to the plate to make sure they had a place to stay.

Our flights are at 11:35 for 4 adults and 11:45 for the other 4. We live in San Diego, CA and those were the flights available to us when booking 15 hrs to 17 hrs. flights. The other flights had 27 to 28 hrs. flight time. Would like to stay over night in Venice but can't.

Thank you for your help.

Thanks, I understand your sitution, but in times like that where flights available due to your home city don't necessarily meet with the guidelines, I would personally recommend an overnight stay in the city. (Staying an extra day in an immortal city like Venice isn't a bad thing ;))

The only thing you can really do is speak with the Front Office at some point while you're on the ship and see if they can arrange anything, but KEEP IN MIND that rough weather, an unforeseen technical delay, Italian immigration or health officials wanting to do a last minute inspection of the ship prior to disembarkation are only a handful of reasons why we recommend longer windows between disembark and your flights. Not to mention all the new guidelines for getting back to the US via air after the Christmas day "underwear bomber" idiot made his attempt. That's made things longer and more difficult too.

Either way... good luck!

The city of Vancouver was able to help make arrangements for everyone after this occurred. Unfortunately, as the Oosterdam and Statedam were on charters with security personnel in a secured zone I don't think having them on the HAL ships would have been a possibility (believe they are also at capacity right now) but Tourism Vancouver stepped up and made the situation better in the wake of that last minute cancellation.

Not to mention the Make a Wish kids specifically are supported by the money and donations that go into Make a Wish. Even if the only options left were through the roof $$$ they would have had the resources to make it happen. (My best friend I talk about on the blog from time to time was a recipient of a Wish as a child along with her brother... both of whom have Cystic Fibrosis)

Question for DBA --- We have been on several Panama Canal cruises and have always enjoyed Punta Arenas. Now they are docking at Puerto Caldera ? Why the change ? We don't use shorex much and tend to stay on the ship and enjoy the port. Puerto Caldera has nothing to offer. Its an empty cargo port. On the survey I always gave Costa Rica the top grade but now I enter it as the lowest. I know that the currents are strong at Punta Arenas but we have been there several times on big and smaller ships and they have not had a problem. Will they go back to Punta Arenas in the future ?

I'm not on the itinerary side of thing, but one thing that does happen from time to time is a slight change of ports so that cruisers taking the same cruise habitually can get a little bit of a change of scenery. One other thing I am uncertain of but may contribute... while the port itself isn't exciting, it may be the case that additional excursions are available from this new port that weren't available before.

Keep in mind that in many places the port has no excitement factor whatsoever, and it's all about WHAT CAN BE DONE FROM that arrival point that is taken into consideration for itinerary planning (and we all know anyone can arrange a private tour or a HAL shore ex, so it's not any sort of mnipulation as I have heard others say in the past on other threads)

Why would HAL only offer Intransit Tours for Anchorage on their 14 Night Alaska Cruise? I seriously doubt anyone is going to leave the ship at this Port when the ship continues on to Kodiak Homer and Hubbard Glacier.I have booked and paid for Grand Anchorage and Portage Glacier Tour and it has dissappeared from the Tours.No notification from HAL

Hi alpal, I apologize but I don't understand the question. Tours are available both "in transit" meaning it would work with the confines of the hours the Amsterdam will be in port and tours are also available upon arriving in Seward for the cruises that go one way from Vancouver and end there. These tours would be designed to fully conclude in Anchorage (or wherever the tour may end)

I would recommend you speak with Shore Excursions about any specific inquiries you may have.

Archived