A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Hi Dutch!!

I like the itinerary for the Veendam for 10/13/2010, to South America sailing from FLL, but we have Alaska this year. I would like to book this same itinerary for October 2011. Any idea if this same itinerary or one very similar will be offered for October/November 2011, and when it will be available to book?

It looks like the big O is in Vancouver for the Olympics. Does anyone know who is using it and for how long. Were there opportunities to book a reposition to Mexico afterwards? Always curious!

The RCMP is using her for the duration of the Winter Olympics

Thanks for the answer!

As the survivor of a Police Officer killed in the Line of Duty, I have likely met a few of those Mounties as they always come down in force to Seattle when we have a funeral.

Very sorry to hear about your loss! The RCMP also turns out in force every May in Washington, DC for the National Law Enforcement Memorial ceremonies. The Stetson, red formal tunic, black riding breeches and brown riding boots are one awesome uniform!

rcmpschiemann_cp_7245928.jpg

IMG_4893-whistler-parade-rcmp.jpg

John

Did you ever make the trip?

I should have but always procrastinated. A few good friends are on the wall. Disappointed in myself for not going.

Rich

Made it once Rich when Bush senior was president (he was the keynote speaker) Awesome experience (we have four names on the wall) Been thinking about going this year!

Hi Dutch!!

I like the itinerary for the Veendam for 10/13/2010, to South America sailing from FLL, but we have Alaska this year. I would like to book this same itinerary for October 2011. Any idea if this same itinerary or one very similar will be offered for October/November 2011, and when it will be available to book?

Can't say if something identical will be out, but would imagine something pretty similar. The ship will be repositioning from NYC again and I believe doing South America again so a similar cruise seems likely.

itineraries are usually 1 - 1.5 years in advance, so I would guess this summer or maybe early fall.

It looks like the big O is in Vancouver for the Olympics. Does anyone know who is using it and for how long. Were there opportunities to book a reposition to Mexico afterwards? Always curious!

Copper beat me to it, but just to expand on the other half of your Q, there isn't a reposition cruise available as the charter includes the return to San Diego.

Hi Dutch,

We booked on the October 18th sailing and I cannot believe how fast this cruise is selling out. We booked three weeks ago and barely got an SB, now there isn't a deluxe verandah suite to be had and a lot of the Superior Verandahs are gone too.

I am just looking for your thoughts here - is this because it's a new ship or because of the itinerary (we liked the itinerary) and so much for hoping for a sale. We have friends that were hesitating about going and now they will need to book SS of course and like the Neptune Lounge. When this type of thing happens, what are the odds of cancellations to allow others to move up? (I'm not necessarily looking for the upgrade fairy here). I would assume that you could request an upgrade and state you are willing to pay for it? I know you can't speak for the future - I was just wondering about your thoughts on this? I find it incredible that the ship is sold out in the upper levels this early in the game. What am I missing? It will give me future insight for booking. Thanks Jacqui

Hi Dutch,

We booked on the October 18th sailing and I cannot believe how fast this cruise is selling out. We booked three weeks ago and barely got an SB, now there isn't a deluxe verandah suite to be had and a lot of the Superior Verandahs are gone too.

I am just looking for your thoughts here - is this because it's a new ship or because of the itinerary (we liked the itinerary) and so much for hoping for a sale. We have friends that were hesitating about going and now they will need to book SS of course and like the Neptune Lounge. When this type of thing happens, what are the odds of cancellations to allow others to move up? (I'm not necessarily looking for the upgrade fairy here). I would assume that you could request an upgrade and state you are willing to pay for it? I know you can't speak for the future - I was just wondering about your thoughts on this? I find it incredible that the ship is sold out in the upper levels this early in the game. What am I missing? It will give me future insight for booking. Thanks Jacqui

I think you nailed it Jacqui. It's all of the above. New ship, great itinerary and it probably doesn't hurt that transatlantice traditionally run a little cheaper and tend to be a little longer.

My recommendation would be for your friends to book the highest category they can now, and waitlist all higher categories they would be interested in. No additional money is due to add you name to the waitlist for those categories and they would be notified when a match is made and advised of the price to see if they are interested or would rather pass on it. (Remember, for the NA:4 they must be in the SC, SB, SA, SQ or PS categories to be allowed entry) - Note: all references to them and confirmations sent to them actually refer to a TA if they booked through one.

Keep in mind also there's a couple different sailings that include this crossing. If they can't find the room they want on the portion they are looking at, the may want to consider the longer crossing that also has the previous cruise attached. I haven't looked at inventory, but it would be split between different sailings to allow for more options. (Might be worth a shot)

Hello "DUTCH"

Could you please help me with the following :

We are booked on its first 22 cruising days of the brand new Ms Nieuw Amsterdam, starting on July 4. and we wish to participate on the official Christening ceremony in Venice, prior to our cruise.

Because we do live in France, a long distance transatlantic all to Seattle is too expensive; hence my question comes to you.

Could you please find out how they arrange this first and important step of a vessel and how one can book this event (schedule please).

While posting your answer here, it would meanwhile serve for a all other passengers’ information.

Many thanks in advance

Kind regards

G E R D

Our marvelous cruises : :)

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

MS Noordam – Mediterranean Enchantment – September 2009

136 days - 34'665 Nm :

Future Cruise : :p

3+7 / 10-day Mediterranean Prelude & Inaugural Cruise :

3555772246558c9c770ebc7e38eba56d.png

12-day Mediterranean Empires :

a4ed661628a8d0b24f580e2daed576d0.png

Hello "DUTCH"

Could you please help me with the following :

We are booked on its first 22 cruising days of the brand new Ms Nieuw Amsterdam, starting on July 4. and we wish to participate on the official Christening ceremony in Venice, prior to our cruise.

Because we do live in France, a long distance transatlantic all to Seattle is too expensive; hence my question comes to you.

Could you please find out how they arrange this first and important step of a vessel and how one can book this event (schedule please).

While posting your answer here, it would meanwhile serve for a all other passengers’ information.

Many thanks in advance

Kind regards

G E R D

Unfortunately I do not have access to this information. IF I do learn of the details AND PR allows me to post them here though, I will be happy to do so with your inquiry in mind.

Goeden morgen, Dutch.

We will be on the Prinsendam to the Top of the World cruise this July and I was wondering if you know if in Oslo the ship will typically dock at the cruise pier near Akershus. That sure looks like a nice place to start exploring Oslo.

You may wish to inquire with the port of Oslo. The only port information I have is for embark and disembark spots. And unfortunately, as I have not been there I can't speak from personal experience.

FYI I was right the tours for Anchorage on all the 14 Night Alaska cruises were listed incorrectly as in transit.The computer was not respondinding as this is the first time that HAL is porting there.Received pc from Laurie @ Shore Excursions.My Tour Grand Anchorage/Portage Glacier is back up and running.The problem should be corrected sometime today

Goeden morgen, Dutch.

We will be on the Prinsendam to the Top of the World cruise this July and I was wondering if you know if in Oslo the ship will typically dock at the cruise pier near Akershus. That sure looks like a nice place to start exploring Oslo.

Goeie morgen, Lair Bear! Cruise ships in Oslo usually berth at Akershus terminal adjacent the Akershus fortress which is just a quick five-ten minute walk from the downtown area. We were there with Rotterdam a couple of years ago. Oslo is a geat city to explore on foot and, if you've never been there before, HAL offers a guided walking tour of the area which will take you by the Royal Palace, city hall (think Nobel Peace Price), the main shopping street and adjacent park, etc.

Hello DBA ...

Seems HAL's site is having some difficulties ... while many functions are available, one cannot price out cruises. Search and display itinerary ... but, cannot really go beyond that point ... message that the page is not available, try back later.

Been going on for a couple of days ... soon to be up and fully functional?

Thanks

Hi Dutch,

we are trying to lure a few others to go no our sailing. How rought is the transatlanic in the fall. heading out in November and late October. Just your thought before I lure fist time people on? I don't want to turn them off HAL. Jacqui.

Hi Dutch,

we are trying to lure a few others to go no our sailing. How rought is the transatlanic in the fall. heading out in November and late October. Just your thought before I lure fist time people on? I don't want to turn them off HAL. Jacqui.

Hi jacqui,

Would recommend you make a thread in the HAL area about this. I haven't made the crossing before, but I know there are TONS of people that regularly post that have. I bet they could provide you with some great info.

Hi jacqui,

Would recommend you make a thread in the HAL area about this. I haven't made the crossing before, but I know there are TONS of people that regularly post that have. I bet they could provide you with some great info.

thanks, I thought that would be trivial, but I will follow your advice.

thank you again for this wonderful thread. Jacqui

A quick question...having been promised 2 coupon books worth $700 because we had to upgrade (at $500pp) after a snafu by your reservation desk (to get a room with shower only) we were told we'd receive coupons worth this much...including free meals- drinks - water-soda-- photos etc. Now after asking about this book on the main forum, postings indicate items are not worth near 700$ and always buy one get one etc. Just what IS free on these coupons and were they really any compensation for having to pay $1,000 because of HAL's mistake???

Hello DBA ...

Seems HAL's site is having some difficulties ... while many functions are available, one cannot price out cruises. Search and display itinerary ... but, cannot really go beyond that point ... message that the page is not available, try back later.

Been going on for a couple of days ... soon to be up and fully functional?

Thanks

Hey camp,

Sorry, I thought I had replied to you.

I saw a memo the other day that any difficulties ought to be cleared up by today or possibly tomorrow. So it ought to all be fine from here on out

Archived