A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

DBA, I am hoping you can help with this. We are taking a HAL cruise and my parents are concerned that they can't reach me in case of a health emergency. They are elderly and will not have or use a credit card or debit card so they cannot use the emergency number posted. I have contacted that company and their response is "no plastic, no call." None of their friends use plastic either and there is no other family close.

Do you have a solution? If they called the HAL number and gave them our name/ship/cabin info would that work?

Yes that will work for an emergency. 2 years ago while I was on a TA on the Eurodam my mother passed away. My son called the 800 number and explained the situation. Within half an hour the Eurodam front office contacted me, told me that my son needed to talk to me then placed the call for me as a courtesy. The front office staff was extremely helpful and very professional doing everything they could to ease my mind.

Now here is a word of perhaps unwanted advise. As your parents are elderly or infirm make sure you get insurance. We had HAL Platinum insurance and it compensated us for the days that we had to leave early and the airfare home. The cost of emergency airfare home was exorbitant.

Jane

Someone asked if my sister who is a TA in the States, could book for myself and my 3 Kiwi companions, and the answer is no. She phoned HA direct, and they couldn't take the reservations, and it was from them that we learned of the rules regarding Kiwis had to book thru a TA in NZ.

Now to add a new twist - we were charged the full book amount on our cruise, and also a $125 fee was added on by the booking agents to cover their fees in case we did cancel our cruise. In other words if we didn't cancel we would get back that amount.

Well going thru all the payments I have discovered that only one of the two $125 fees was returned on my partner's and my billing. When I questioned my TA after a long running conversation, she admitted that her company didn't make enough commission on our booking (ONLY 5% commission!!:eek: on a total of $16,000 US) so one of the fees was not returned. Was hard to find this all out, as I insisted on the payments being made in US Dollars, but they would only accept NZ$ and then convert it. I'm still steaming over this and haven't decided how far to take this!!:mad:

On our upcoming cruise when we get the big push to put down a deposit for another cruise, you can bet I'll have a lot of good questions for that salesperson. And guess which TA WON'T get that sale.:D

Does anyone knows if the Neptune lounge concierge can to the future cruise deposit :confused:or do we have to go to Future cruise consultant to make the future cruise deposits, we also would like to understand how to make a deposit without any particular cruise in mind we know that by paying in advance for future cruise depot there is Onboard cabin credit is given and lower deposit rate can DBA please explain it more to us or some of the other CC posters , we have a great TA now and want to make sure that he will be able to apply these deposit to any kind of future cruise in the near future of 4 years :)

Does anyone knows if the Neptune lounge concierge can to the future cruise deposit :confused:or do we have to go to Future cruise consultant to make the future cruise deposits, we also would like to understand how to make a deposit without any particular cruise in mind we know that by paying in advance for future cruise depot there is Onboard cabin credit is given and lower deposit rate can DBA please explain it more to us or some of the other CC posters , we have a great TA now and want to make sure that he will be able to apply these deposit to any kind of future cruise in the near future of 4 years :)
You should go to the FCC, as the concierge would not have the necessary records available. You simply tell the FCC how many $100 deposits you want to make, and you will get a confirmation letter (or letters) with Future Cruise Deposit ID numbers listed. When the time comes to make a specific booking, you just give those ID numbers to your TA. The amount of the OBC will be determined when you make the booking, based on the cabin class and length of the cruise.

You'll have the option of making a booking or just getting a generic Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) to be applied later within 4 years. You can either make the booking and transfer it to your TA when you get home, OR you can get the certificate and use it to make a new booking directly with your TA when you get home. If you want to make another booking through the same agency as you used for the booking that has you currently on the ship, they can do that too, just be sure to specify it.

They can be used for all cruises of up to (don't quote me but I THINK it's) 35 days... cannot be used on Grand World or Grand Voyages, cannot be converted to a different currency once purchased and are non-refundable. They're also treated just like a deposit. So if you cancel when the deposit amount will possibly be the fee, you can lose it. (Yet another reason for travel protection!!)

That's what I can remember right off hand, the ship can assist with any other details or things I may have left out, and I don't believe the Neptune Lounge Concierge can create them, but I would recommend speaking with the Future Cruise Consultant anyway since it sounds like you'll have several questions and they deal with FCD's daily and will likely be that much more familiar with anything asked.

The Concierges in the Neptune Lounge can not get you future cruise deposits. You have to see the FCC on board the ship. Usually some time during the cruise you will get a letter from the FCC indicating the time that he/she will be availbale in the Neptune Lounge for talking over cruises and buying future deposits.

You need to have your credit card handy as future deposits will be charged to your credit card -- not to your shipboard account.

We always buy extra deposits whenever we cruise. We get the letter and always let our TA know that we have made extra deposits. When we are ready to book a cruise -- we haven't even had to tell our TA what the certificate numbers are -- she just calls HAL -- books the cruise and gets the numbers are in one call.

Shipboard Credit:

7 - 10 days:

Inside - $25 per person

Outside - $25 per person

Verandah (VA/A - VF/BC) - $35 per person

Suite (PS - S/SY) - $50 per person

11+ days:

Inside - $50 per person

Outside - $50 per person

Verandah (VA/A - VF/BC) - $75 per person

Suite (PS - S/SY) - $100 per person

Please Note:

Deposit of $100 per person -- good for 4 years -- no refund of deposit.

This offer applies to the first two passengers in stateroom only, and is not applicable to upper berth passengers. Passengers with single occupancy will receive a single person portion. Ship board credit may only be used on a single voyage and expires at the end of that voyage. This offer or any unused portion is not redeemable for cash and is available to new bookings only.

This offer is not combinable with the World Cruise, Grand Voyages or segments thereof.

We put down the $100 deposit for the three of us (myself, DH, DS9) on our last cruise, knowing we would go at some point in the next four years. We have since booked our next cruise, travelling with my dad and stepmom. When we called HAL to book, the HAL rep suggested we put DS in the grandparents rooms so that they didn't have to pay a deposit either. They said we could just switch DS's room when we get on the ship. I thought that was a great feature. Also, because the three of us are Mariners, grandparents got the Mariner pricing too because of the room arrangements.

Now that I've read about people leaving multiple deposits, I think that is something we might do next time. It gives us the flexibililty to pay when the dollar is high.

Thank you for every one that replied to me regarding the future cruise deposit , so from what I am getting I can make generic deposit that is good for any cruise up to 4 year from now and my give the deposit (numbers /codes/ID certificate number ) to my TA( any time with in 4 years ) for booking anything once we figured out which ship and what itinerary and when .

Thanks everyone , we will be cruising on Niuew Amsterdam this upcoming January so I will defiantly buy 2 generic future cruise deposit once onboard the ship:)

Thank you for every one that replied to me regarding the future cruise deposit , so from what I am getting I can make generic deposit that is good for any cruise up to 4 year from now and my give the deposit (numbers /codes/ID certificate number ) to my TA( any time with in 4 years ) for booking anything once we figured out which ship and what itinerary and when .

Thanks everyone , we will be cruising on Niuew Amsterdam this upcoming January so I will defiantly buy 2 generic future cruise deposit once onboard the ship:)

You got it right!!

Wait until you are on the ship in January and buy some futur cruise deposits.

I have not sailed with HAL yet but because of this Board, it will be in my near future. I wish all the cruise lines had a employee rep on the individual boards. Thank you for taking the time. I'll be back with some questions, I'm sure.

I think I know the answer to this one, but will ask in the off chance that I am wrong.

I booked (and paid for) a suite for my sister and her husband. I could have stayed in the suite as a third person, but to be more comfortable I booked the V cabin next door to them for myself. If I had stayed with them we could all go to the neptune lounge. But, because I spent $7,000 on an extra room, I will not be allowed in neptune.

Is there any way around this catch 22?

thanks for your help.

There are two other options:

There are international numbers which if they are calling from the US would start with "001" They would need to make sure they have the ability for making int'l calls turned on with their phone company and would want to make sure they understand the rates involved based on the phone carrier/plan they have.

Also, if it's an EMERGENCY message, they can call Guest Relations (800-599-8256) and ask the representative if they can pass along a message to the ship. I would imagine at a minimum they'll want to provide the ship, room number and names... booking number would probably help even more... and a message can be sent urgent to the ship with the request it be delivered as quickly as possible.

For more details on the int'l numbers, would recommend you call HAL as I don't keep them handy. here at home.

Thanks, DBA. That was the info I was hoping for. This would only be used in case of a true emergency such as death or serious injury of one of my parents. It would be so much easier if they would get or use a credit card. However, that will never happen so I have learned to work around it in most cases. But they are in their 80's and they worry so much when we cruise and are "out of reach." I call them about every 3rd day but they still worry so much.

Not DBA but why not give them your card info to use an emergency?

Thanks for trying to help. Oh that it were that simple! My parents are in their 80's and don't trust "plastic" at all. They won't have one, don't want the responsibility of having my numbers, etc. I always tell them to call my daughter and have her call using her card but sometimes she isn't available either as she lives out of state. Just trying to remove some of their worry so I can continue to enjoy cruising. (If they had their way, I wouldn't cruise at all. Then they would "worry less." Such is life.

I have not sailed with HAL yet but because of this Board, it will be in my near future. I wish all the cruise lines had a employee rep on the individual boards. Thank you for taking the time. I'll be back with some questions, I'm sure.

Very sweet of you to say that. I really appreciate that! Thank you! :D

I think I know the answer to this one, but will ask in the off chance that I am wrong.

I booked (and paid for) a suite for my sister and her husband. I could have stayed in the suite as a third person, but to be more comfortable I booked the V cabin next door to them for myself. If I had stayed with them we could all go to the neptune lounge. But, because I spent $7,000 on an extra room, I will not be allowed in neptune.

Is there any way around this catch 22?

thanks for your help.

Unfortunately not. It was decided quite a long time ago that the easiest way to handle exceptions is to flat not allow any in the case of the Neptune Lounge. It can be a slippery slope once you do something special for one person because then the "well why not me then?" deluge starts... and no one wants that.

There are plenty of other ways to treat yourself though... cabana if on a Signature Class ship, spa treatment...

DBA- We are taking the Amsterdam to Mexico on Dec.2. Do you know what the "crusing Magdalena Bay" is?? Do they go into the Bay or stay out in the big bay of Santa Maria? Magdalena Bay is a large inland bay and lots of commercial boats go in there. But I have never heard of a Cruise Ship going in the channel. Thanks!:)

DBA-We especially enjoy your interior photos of the ships. I wish, however, there were more pictures of the various cabins in a category. While Joanie is doing a great job on her site, we are still in the dark about our cabin on Zuiderdam.

When we booked (last August) our TA specifically asked the differences in the interior cabins. I on upper verandah deck we were told was the largest interior at 205 sq. ft. Also the picture HAL posts with deck plans we were told was an I. So, we booked one and were satisfied until recently. Now, from what we've seen on Joanie's site and reports from CCmembers who have stayed in I cabins & J cabins on the main deck, we are not sure if the I cabins are as large or as well configured as the Js on the main deck. It appears from what we've seen on Joanie's site that the pictures HAL posts is a J not an I as we were told. We saw an I this evening on Joanie's site & could not believe how cramped it appeared in comparison to her pictures of a Main Deck J.

Do you have access to the actual dimensions of these two categories? How would HAL feel about us downgrading? I don't believe there is a price difference, but we did make final payment in July. How would it affect the reservation? Thanks for any information. And, boy, do we envy all those cruises you have planned. When do you find time to work? LOL

DBA- We are taking the Amsterdam to Mexico on Dec.2. Do you know what the "crusing Magdalena Bay" is?? Do they go into the Bay or stay out in the big bay of Santa Maria? Magdalena Bay is a large inland bay and lots of commercial boats go in there. But I have never heard of a Cruise Ship going in the channel. Thanks!:)

Numerous Oosterdam cruises have also done the "Bahia Magdelena" scenic cruising. Would recommend you ask some folks recently on Oosterdam to Mexico as they can likely tell you specifically where it goes.

See comments in red... going to try and attack this piece by piece

DBA-We especially enjoy your interior photos of the ships. I wish, however, there were more pictures of the various cabins in a category. Thanks for the comments and the suggestions... both of which are always appreciated While Joanie is doing a great job on her site, we are still in the dark about our cabin on Zuiderdam.

When we booked (last August) our TA specifically asked the differences in the interior cabins. I on upper verandah deck we were told was the largest interior at 205 sq. ft. Not correct. Category I has rooms classified as large, but the largest interior rooms on the ship are category J and K on Main Deck... the ones that look like squares on the deck plan. Those are the rooms that are 205 Also the picture HAL posts with deck plans we were told was an I. That is a Main Deck J/K So, we booked one and were satisfied until recently. Now, from what we've seen on Joanie's site and reports from CCmembers who have stayed in I cabins & J cabins on the main deck J and K actually, we are not sure if the I cabins are as large or as well configured as the Js on the main deck. Not the same configuration but the next largest interior rooms on the ship after Main Deck J/K It appears from what we've seen on Joanie's site that the pictures HAL posts is a J or K not an I correct as we were told. We saw an I this evening on Joanie's site & could not believe how cramped it appeared in comparison to her pictures of a Main Deck J. The "Large" interior staterooms on Zuiderdam that are not the J/K on main deck will be similar to an oceanview room without the window

Do you have access to the actual dimensions of these two categories? I do, but these rooms will all be in, I believe... 170-180sqft range How would HAL feel about us downgrading? I don't believe there is a price difference, but we did make final payment in July. Your TA would need to ask on your behalf as they are the technical "owner" of the booking. How would it affect the reservation? See previous response Thanks for any information. And, boy, do we envy all those cruises you have planned. When do you find time to work? LOL Oh trust me... I HAVE to find the time... all the blogging, Facebook, Twitter, etc is independent and on my own time... :)

So I’ve had a chance to get this blog going to where I know I can keep dedicated to it so I wanted to let all of you know about it.

As you can see from other posts on the blog if you look through what I’ve put up previously, I am an employee of HAL at the corporate offices in Seattle and must admit that the combination of the Holland America Blog http://www.hollandamericablog.com and John Heald’s Blog http://www.johnhealdsblog.com have inspired me to try my own hand at it.

Please let me know anything you are curious about or would like to see covered.

I simply ask that you realize that I am not your travel agent, the Reservations department nor your Personal Cruise Consultant and that I am unable to discuss your personal booking, take payments, provide free upgrades :) and so forth.

My goal is to offer a wide variety of info, both work-related and about me, such as that which John does on his blog…

So ask away, I’m here! And welcome!

http://dutchbyassociation.blogspot.com/

~B

I looked at your blog but a search of BAHIA MAGDALENA did not get a hit. I believe there are "friendlies" - ie California Gray Whales which will approach small panga (boats). Is there a possibility of that on the cruise?

See comments in red... going to try and attack this piece by piece

I'm also curious about the size of the I cabins on the Upper Veranda of the Westerdam now. We have I 6071 and our agent said it was 243 sq. ft. Is that not correct?

On the Oosterdam last year out itinerary included Bahia Magdelena scenic cruising. We went just inside the head lands at the entrance to the bay. We stayed there for an hour sitting idle, turning slowly like the ships do in Glacier Bay. There were lots of whales. Some came very close to the ship. Take you binoculars and your telephoto lens. There aren’t the distance restrictions that there are in Alaska. But we weren’t anywhere near as close as they were when I was on a Cruise West expedition. We were in a ponga (very small flat bottom boat) and the mother whales and babies came close enough for us to touch them.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCCL - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ‘09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

Future Cruises:

Oasis of the Seas - December 11, 2010

Paul Gauguin – February 9, 2011

Thank you, DBA, for the information. We appreciate your taking the time to answer these questions for all CCmembers.

We will call our TA tomorrow, as we learned today that our son's friend cannot go on this cruise. It may mean our son has to bunk with us. :eek: If so, we want the largest inside we can get.

DBA - since you are right by the pier, I'm hoping you know the answer.

DH and I hv a Seattle/Vanc. one day cruise coming up - We want to take

the bus from home (Seattle area) since we hv minimum luggage. Metro gives us the route: 15th Ave W and Garfield Bridge. I know there is a set of steps going up/down from the bridge, but isn't there a path/walkway that we can use from 15th Ave W to the pier? Hate to pay $20-25 from a downtown hotel when the bus fare is .75 cents. Thanks for your help

Archived