A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

HI Dutch, sorry to bother you again BUT

we have been trying to find out if HAL will be operating the shuttle from the port to San Marco.

Apparently, we finally got an answer and it's no. Now, I'm confused. I thought HAL was excellence. Princess provides it. I don't even want to say the names of the other cruise ships that provides it, but HAL doesn't?

Our cruise critic board has over 80 members, all HAL loyal fans and we are just overwhelmed and bamboozled (I can't spell that) by the fact that a basic shuttle service other ships provide (yes there is a fee - that's ok) is not being provided by HAL.

Probably you have no way to check if it's true or not, but I am going to ask you how we can convey our dissapointment on this to the right people. I don't think anyone looks at surveys unless they see what they want. Any suggestions? We are all loyal HAL sailers Thanks again. Jacqui

Hi DBA, Thanks for taking the time to help everyone. I have a question. If I buy one of the 5 bottle wine packages, is the $18 corkage fee included?

Thanks. Also do you know how I can find out which ships will be in ports during ou March 5-15 cruise?

Wine bought onboard never has a corking fee.

I use cruisett.com to find out what ships share a port, but it isn't always (or maybe I should say regularly) updated.

I'll take your advice and call HAL directly to see if they know about which port we dock at in Anchorage. Appreciate the advice. Oh, and instead of that later sailing, come along with us on the May 31st sailing - would like to buy you a brew on board!:p

Thanks! With other plans already in the works for March and April though, no way I could also manage a 2-weeker in May... plus that would be all 4 weeks of vacation. I gotta spread it out a little bit... (Otherwise I'll get the "not cruising anywhere" twitch... and that's not a good thing) ;)

HI Dutch, sorry to bother you again BUT

we have been trying to find out if HAL will be operating the shuttle from the port to San Marco.

Apparently, we finally got an answer and it's no. Now, I'm confused. I thought HAL was excellence. Princess provides it. I don't even want to say the names of the other cruise ships that provides it, but HAL doesn't?

Our cruise critic board has over 80 members, all HAL loyal fans and we are just overwhelmed and bamboozled (I can't spell that) by the fact that a basic shuttle service other ships provide (yes there is a fee - that's ok) is not being provided by HAL.

Probably you have no way to check if it's true or not, but I am going to ask you how we can convey our dissapointment on this to the right people. I don't think anyone looks at surveys unless they see what they want. Any suggestions? We are all loyal HAL sailers Thanks again. Jacqui

Feedback to the corporate offices, or onboard are the best way... and as this is an upcoming cruise, I would say just mention something to the front desk. Enough people mention something and that's how change comes about. (The new Mariner Program is a perfect example that guest feedback brings about change)

Hi Dennis,

Can you go into what this is regarding at all? It may be one of a couple different departments depending on what the question/need/concern might be.

Look forward to your reply. (and if it's a more private matter you can email me about this... see my email address in my signature below)

And if anyone's keeping score, Dennis sent me an email and I got him all taken care of as well :D

Feedback to the corporate offices, or onboard are the best way... and as this is an upcoming cruise, I would say just mention something to the front desk. Enough people mention something and that's how change comes about. (The new Mariner Program is a perfect example that guest feedback brings about change)

thanks again Dutch. hope to be done with questions for this cruise. You've been a big help. Thanks again. Jacqui

Off subject, but I wanted to thank you for your tip on Fish and Chips at Ketchikan. The Alaska Fish Co? had great food, just like you said. We had to gobble it down hot so we could be on board before they left us at 12:30. lol

SO glad you liked it. I thought it was phenomenal as well. Enough so, I'm strongly considering the 14 day Alaskan Adventurer cruise next fall!

hello dba,

i just returned on the westerdam today and all your advice was terrific. i especially thought tracy's crab shack was fabulous! best king crab and bisque i've ever had. thank you again so much for answering questions and posting here.

there are a few people i forgot to mention on my onboard hal questionaire about the cruise. there are some names i left off and i'd like to give them credit for outstanding service. what is the best way to contact hal about this and is there a particular person i should contact?

the cruise was terrific in so many ways i can't list them all here.

david

HI: I am from Anchorage. There is a Enterprise rental office in down town Anchorage, About 5 or 6 blocks from the port. The port is very close to down town. The rental office will be your best bet, as you will not have to pay the Airport tax fee. (I beleive I am right) You could call them for pricing. Hope this is a help.

Hi Dutch,

First, let me say thanks for all the effort you put into answering our questions,providing commentary, and just generally giving all an inside look at HAL.

Now for my question - we are booked on HAL's new 14 day Alaskan Adventure, departing Seattle on May 31, 2010 (YEA!), and would like to book our rental car for the port of Anchorage (published docking time of 7am). Can you please tell me where the ship will actually be docking? It will make a difference in which Enterprise rental car location we book thru. Also, was thinking of booking an 8AM pick-up - is that being too optimistic? Perhaps a 9AM pick-up just in case of some unforeseen glitch while sailing up Cook Inlet or debarking the ship? Your thoughts please?

BTW everyone - saw on the Alaska ports of call that Enterprise is running some really great car rental deals out of Anchorage for 2010 booking. Give it a look see!

Thanks again, DBA, for your help!:p

hello dba,

i just returned on the westerdam today and all your advice was terrific. i especially thought tracy's crab shack was fabulous! best king crab and bisque i've ever had. thank you again so much for answering questions and posting here.

there are a few people i forgot to mention on my onboard hal questionaire about the cruise. there are some names i left off and i'd like to give them credit for outstanding service. what is the best way to contact hal about this and is there a particular person i should contact?

the cruise was terrific in so many ways i can't list them all here.

david

Hi David,

Best thing to do is either call or email Guest Relations and they can send an email to the ship with your remarks. If it's brief, calling would probably be easier. If you want to express in some depth, it's probably best to send an email and they can forward it in your own words to the ship.

800-599-8256

guestrelations@hollandamerica.com

HI: I am from Anchorage. There is a Enterprise rental office in down town Anchorage, About 5 or 6 blocks from the port. The port is very close to down town. The rental office will be your best bet, as you will not have to pay the Airport tax fee. (I beleive I am right) You could call them for pricing. Hope this is a help.

Appreciate the helping hand EdwH :)

Off subject, but I wanted to thank you for your tip on Fish and Chips at Ketchikan. The Alaska Fish Co? had great food, just like you said. We had to gobble it down hot so we could be on board before they left us at 12:30. lol

I believe that it is called the "Alaska Fish House"! It has a website and their menu is available to read online. Looks great!

DBA,

Just got off the phone with Chris at Guest Relations and gave her the names of the outstanding crew members on the Westerdam. She was very happy to hear what a fabulous cruise I had. It honestly was a very enjoyable and memorable cruise. Everything was perfect about it. I booked a future cruise on the Oosterdam too.

Thank you so much for your advice. Yes, the Alaska Fish House in Ketchican was terrific. I might also add the KetchiCandy store there is also fabulous! Excellent hand made candies and other goodies. http://www.ketchicandies.com

Thanks again.

David

If anyone hadn't noticed yet, there's a huge piece I assembled with all the details of Zaandam's massive Pluer organ in the atrium, and tonight I'm going to add a piece from the HAL blog on my friend Stan Kuppens and more of his role with the newbuilds, as well as the latest pics from Nieuw Amsterdam (Her azipods are on and ready to go)

EdwH - thanks for the advice - can't wait to visit your beautiful city. I got some answers on the Alaska boards from AKSusan as well, and have booked our rental car thru the 4th Avenue location. AK Susan gave me the address of the Port of Anchorage, and we will just have Enterprise pick us up there. Thank you again both Dutch and EdwH, and all others who responded. Appreciate the help!

Glad to be helpful. Do hope you enjoy our fine city and state.

EdwH - thanks for the advice - can't wait to visit your beautiful city. I got some answers on the Alaska boards from AKSusan as well, and have booked our rental car thru the 4th Avenue location. AK Susan gave me the address of the Port of Anchorage, and we will just have Enterprise pick us up there. Thank you again both Dutch and EdwH, and all others who responded. Appreciate the help!

Discussion going on, on another thread & need your input -

This is a good question for you to answer - $2 bills Ok or not?

Does it depend on the ports visited or debarkation and embarkation ports?

So far I have only cruised from US ports and around the US, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada/New England and Mexico and have not seen an issue or had anyone say there was a problem with the $2 bills, figured crew could spend them in port without having to exchanging them.

January we will be on an Australian/New Zealand Cruise and was not planning on $2bills because of the ports we will be going to be in and out of, figured on using OZ & NZ curency.

Am I on track or not?

Discussion going on, on another thread & need your input -

This is a good question for you to answer - $2 bills Ok or not?

Does it depend on the ports visited or debarkation and embarkation ports?

So far I have only cruised from US ports and around the US, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada/New England and Mexico and have not seen an issue or had anyone say there was a problem with the $2 bills, figured crew could spend them in port without having to exchanging them.

January we will be on an Australian/New Zealand Cruise and was not planning on $2bills because of the ports we will be going to be in and out of, figured on using OZ & NZ curency.

Am I on track or not?

You can really do whatever you'd like on that one, but considering I've personally interacted with a bank employee that had no clue $2 bills existed, and had a friend denied service at a bar because "February 29th isn't a real date so how could it be his birthdate... what a bad fake ID" you might want to leave the $2 bills to the "domestic" itineraries because SOMEONE at any given bank is likely to know they exist, as opposed to a foreign country where it's not even always evident what denominations other country's currency is even available in.

Just my 2 cents on your 2 dollar question though... I'm sure however it is given it will be very appreciated.

I have only used $2 bills when sailing US ports

Are you saying, in the US, you & the crew have trouble getting a "Bank" or a business to take them?

Never planned to take them as stated to Australia or New Zealand.

Thank you for clearing this up

Are you saying, in the US, you & the crew have trouble getting a "Bank" or a business to take them?

No, sorry if it came across that way. Just saying that since each destination will have people that are "special" and $2 bills aren't particularly common, I would only give them when the itinerary hits some sort of US port... In an Aus/NZ itinerary I would possibly refrain...

Jams..I believe that is exactly what DBA is saying! You yourself have admitted that you have only cruised in the U.S. & Mexico..

However, what you don't seem to realize is that most people on the $2.00 bill thread are frequent travelers & many have been all over the world..In Mexico most vendors will not accept $2.00 bills or any bill which is torn, wrinkled or written on...They have even refused to take denominations over ten dollars..

In addition, the crew rarely get to spend tips in U.S. Ports as they don't get shore leave in every port..

Crew tips usually go into an account to be sent to their home country.. When they happen to get shore leave they may go to a nearby bank or currency exchange in a foreign country to get a draft..

Also as DBA mentioned, even some bank tellers are not aware that the $2.00 bill exists..In the Eastern United States & some areas in Canada many businesses will not accept the $2.00 bill...

If I want a stack of them, they have to be special ordered from our bank, as they do not stock them...

As many of us have been saying, of course the Crew will be thankful for whatever you give them, but why would you even think of giving them something they may have to exchange..

Our gifts to them should be to show them we appreciate their hard work, & not so that we will be remembered...

Betty

Archived