A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

[quote name='DutchByAssociation'][SIZE=4]Happy Easter everybody!![/SIZE]

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gwAButW42xk/S7jvwig85nI/AAAAAAAAEDM/pGSSaRWaiJc/s1600/paaseieren%2520iStock_000008553981XSmall.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

[B][SIZE=5][COLOR=purple]Same to your Dutch and other CC'ers out there. What a beautiful collection of Easter Eggs! Gail[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]:cool:

[quote name='DutchByAssociation'][SIZE=4]Happy Easter everybody!![/SIZE]

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gwAButW42xk/S7jvwig85nI/AAAAAAAAEDM/pGSSaRWaiJc/s1600/paaseieren%2520iStock_000008553981XSmall.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Beautiful eggs DBA...thank you..and Happy Easter to you as well...

[quote name='Cruisin Suzin']I mean say they have only sold half the ship will they cancel? Does that ever happen..

The reason I am asking is because only one person has signed onto my roll call..and I am getting a bit concerned..[/quote]Don't worry - a new ship, in the Caribbean in Feb, will sail full! Sometimes a sailing won't have a lot of Cruise Critics, or the kind that choose to join a roll call at least, but there will be lots of other people booking. ;)

[quote name='jtl513']Don't worry - a new ship, in the Caribbean in Feb, will sail full! Sometimes a sailing won't have a lot of Cruise Critics, or the kind that choose to join a roll call at least, but there will be lots of other people booking. ;)[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply.. I know In my heart of hearts that the ship will fill up eventually, but just wondered...

[quote name='Cruisin Suzin']:oThis is probably one of the craziest questions you've had. But I felt the most comfortable asking this question on this thread.. Have HAL ever cancelled a cruise because they are just not getting the bookings for that particular sailing? I mean say they have only sold half the ship will they cancel? Does that ever happen..

The reason I am asking is because only one person has signed onto my roll call..and I am getting a bit concerned..I was booked on another cruise line for this same itinerary and similar date..and the roll call was getting active a month ago..the reason I canceled that cruise is because a very large and I mean large 1200 people, 40% of the ship,:eek: plus another group of 600 people booked it after I did...I just felt with that many in a group it would be their cruise and not mine...so I cancelled and booked this cruise on HAL, and in retrospect am very happy it all happened that way. We will be much happier on HAL But nothing is sold out yet, not even the SC category, and there are only 6 of those..I have asked my PVP and he said there are a couple of small groups on this sailing, of about 20 or 40 people..so I just might have the opposite of my previous situation.

So would they ever Cancel a sailing? Not that I would mind having the most of the ship to myself;)[/quote]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]HAL will not cancel a cruise just because of bookings not happening right now.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Several years ago we were doing a cruise out of San Diego. About 2 weeks before the cruise I noticed that there were quite a few cabins still not booked. HAL did a quick sale on the west coast -- ship was filled quickly.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='packercruising']How do you know that there are groups on your ship???[/quote]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]There is a "sticky" about this -- but it hasn't been updated in months.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='TahoeTraveler']"DBA"

I am glad you are doing this, as there are a couple of questions I have had ever since completing our last HAL cruise.

We are Tami and Mike from Gardnerville, NV (Lake Tahoe area), our last cruise was with Captain Christopher Turner on the 14 Oct Zuiderdam Panama Canal Sunfarer. I actually have two questions, if it's okay for me to post them:

My first question is: Do the captains have to attend any sort of formal public relations training in addition to their nautical training in order to perform their jobs on a cruise ship, and if so, what kind of training? I became curious about this after our interactions with Captain Turner, who was, in a word, fantastic. He was absolutely the most personable, kind, and competent Captain I have ever met. The way he handled even the most minor of complaints was amazing, and I just wondered if he attended some sort of training in how to deal with "difficult" passengers and situations.

My second question is: Are the captains allowed to have their wives onboard and if so, how does that work? We enjoyed dinner one evening with the ship's doctor (who was VERY busy on our cruise!) and his lovely wife, and found their situation very interesting. I was wondering if it worked the same way for the captain.

Thanks a bunch for letting me ask these questions that have really been bugging me![/quote]

Hi Tahoetraveler...I was curious about the ships doctor and his wife...dreaming, but what was their story? (My husband is a doctor)

[quote name='packercruising']How do you know that there are groups on your ship???[/quote]

In my case that rather large group of 1200 started signing into the roll call and let me know...I had no issue with the group itself, just the size of that group..and now I am happy I have found HAL..:)

I've handled a bunch of Meet/Greets and it really is simple as others have said. The phone number upthread can be used to put you in touch with the person who handles this kind of event for your particular ship; one person handles just 3 or so HAL ships and whoever answers the phone will tell you who handles yours.

When I've inquired I've been e-mailed (promptly!) a simple Word document; the fill-in kind, and the new ones this year are for just this kind of event. They just want to know how many you expect, who the contact person is, what time you want to start/end, where you'd like to have it and what you want--a check the box sort of thing. The tea/water/coffee/cookies thing is free; anything else you pay for although sometimes HAL may provide more. There's a place to mark if there's anything else you'd like and I write in that HAL staff is always welcome. E-mail it back and in a few hours you'll have a confirmation and it will mention that while staff will try to visit, it's not guaranteed. Once on board I hunt up the beverage manager (the on-charge person on the ship for these events) to make sure we're all set; sometimes that person has left a note in my cabin so I know we're set.

It's always gone well and I make sure that everybody who helped gets thanked. I too take care of my own invitations (simple, printed up before I leave home) although the bev mgr has often told me that the officers have already been invited. I drop a few invites by the front desk and they have put them in the officer's mailboxes. (If you address them yourself don't put your cabin number in the upper left corner; on the ship that's where they write where the envelope is going. I learned this when I gave them a whole bunch with my cabin number there--and the whole stack showed up in my cabin mail!)

The new form does ask for the reservation 30 days in advance. The old version didn't mention any deadline for submitting a request.

I have a question in regards to the cruises out of New York City that head to Bermuda and stay at a few places overnight. On a day where the ship would be completely docked or anchored, is there any entertainment going on? For example, is the band playing, are there poolside activities, etc. All cruises I've been on use dock time for maintenance - but I've never been on a ship that has docked for 2+ days. Thanks!

Hello Dutch,

because we are sailing on here very first 22 days, we also would like to be present for her naming - inaugural ceremony in Venice.

Because I can read everywhere about the christening ceremony – and most of them are even in contradiction => i.e. the christening will take place already on July first ??

Also is surprising, that a CC board member already knows such a high level personage of Godmother, but this is not yet and nowhere mentioned in an official statement. Even not on its Royal Dutch official web-based-calendar.

For my feeling, the naming ceremony to be held 4 fully days prior to departure is by far not common. => But could be related to the Godmother’s – Her Majesty Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands - official schedule.

Could you please clarify the foreseen procedure and time-schedule - and cost if any. Please also mention how we can book it.

Many thanks in advance

Anna & Gerd

Our marvelous cruises : :)

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

MS Noordam – Mediterranean Enchantment – September 2009

136 days - 34'665 Nm :

3starMariner.gif

Future Cruise : :p

3+7 / 10-day Mediterranean Prelude & Inaugural Cruise :

3555772246558c9c770ebc7e38eba56d.png

12-day Mediterranean Empires :

a4ed661628a8d0b24f580e2daed576d0.png

I am about to book a cabin on the Rotterdam for the 19 day Cruise on June 14, 2011. I am wondering with these suites on Deck 7 right below the pool what noise am I going to be able to hear above. Any input on quieter cabins would be appreciated. The ones right below Canaletto are already gone.:confused:

I am about to book a cabin on the Rotterdam for the 19 day Cruise on June 14, 2011. I am wondering with these suites on Deck 7 right below the pool what noise am I going to be able to hear above. Any input on quieter cabins would be appreciated. The ones right below Canaletto are already gone.:confused:

There is an excellent thread about just this very thing...by Joanie check it out..

DBA...I read on another HAL thread somewhere that if you do not give your CC info with the online check or want to put down your deposit by cash that they will not do it at embarkation (check in) area..that instead you then have to go I think to the pursers office and be in yet another line up and put your either money or CC info down there..so you will not even be able to buy say a soda on board until all that happens...that could take ages...what if I put my CC info down on the on line check in registration, and I change my mind about which card I'm going to use do I still have to stand in yet another line up..very confused..about this whole process..

Thanks Suz

I've very rarely heard of any noise issues on the R- or S-Class regarding noise above, but of course you are the only one that knows how sensitive to noise you are.

Anywhere under the Lido Restaurant or the Spa area would likely be quieter if you're still concerned, but like I said, I've rarely heard of issues on the R or S Class ships

DBA...I read on another HAL thread somewhere that if you do not give your CC info with the online check or want to put down your deposit by cash that they will not do it at embarkation (check in) area..that instead you then have to go I think to the pursers office and be in yet another line up and put your either money or CC info down there..so you will not even be able to buy say a soda on board until all that happens...that could take ages...what if I put my CC info down on the on line check in registration, and I change my mind about which card I'm going to use do I still have to stand in yet another line up..very confused..about this whole process..

Thanks Suz

I have done cash on all of my cruises as I just prefer to not have the card tied up if there's any changes to my return travel plans, etc. I get onboard, go straight to the Front Office (the "line up" as you put it isn't more than about 5 minutes tops (typically just people asking if upgrades are available, etc) and then I give the cash, get my receipt and have never had an issue when I then go to purchase any drinks, etc. If you have any concerns though, once you get your receipt just simply ask "Is this on the record now? Will I be able to buy beverages etc at this time?" and they can confirm for you.

I wouldn't worry about it. I've been on our ships well over a dozen times and have yet to have a problem with doing cash.

Why is the menu for the PG no longer posted outside the PG?

Why is the "domed" meat cart no longer brought to the tables by the servers in the PG in order to display and describe the different cuts of meat to their guests before their guests order their dinner?:mad:

Why is the menu for the PG no longer posted outside the PG?

Why is the "domed" meat cart no longer brought to the tables by the servers in the PG in order to display and describe the different cuts of meat to their guests before their guests order their dinner?:mad:

I'm unaware of these aspects being changed, but the Pinnacle Grill manager would be happy to share a copy of the menu on request with any guests if it isn't outside the entrance.

As for the cart, again, I'm not aware of this aspect changing, but the servers would be happy to describe any details of the cuts/cooking procedure to any of the guests.

I guess you've had spome really good cruises lately if these are the questions that get "yelling size font", angryfaces and thumbs down

:)

Hi Dutch - I was just looking at pictures of the huge engines on the Nieuw Amsterdam, and a question again crossed my mind that I've often wondered before: if such a large piece of equipment needs replacement, or more repairs than can be done on board, how do they get it out? Is there a vertical shaft near the smokestacks large enough to hoist one through? Or does it have to be dismantled and taken out in small pieces, with a new/repaired one later reassembled in place?

Similarly, at what point are the engines installed in a new ship? When the deck that they are on is first available, before decks above are constructed? Or later?

This not of deathly importance to me, but I've always wondered, and would appreciate it if you could find out from somebody! :)

Can you see your portfolio balance on the t.v.? I have seen on some threads people refering to the HM..does that mean Hotel Manager, (Purser?) or are they two different things..

No -- you can not see your portfolio on the TV -- but you can go to the front office (or ask a concierge if you have a Deluxe veranda suite) to run off a copy of your bill any time during the cruise.

HM -- yes -- that is the Hotel Manager.

The purser is a different person.

Archived