drugs in Jamaica

SHARONB

I should know better than to get caught up in this but....

As a physician let me tell you that MJ is the SAFEST drug around. It's much safer than either alcohol or nicotine. I have seen thousands of patients whose health has been destroyed by alcohol or nicotine but I have yet to see one whose life has been destroyed by MJ. If I was interested in mind-altering substances (I'm not) this would be my drug of choice. The only one safer is caffeine.

Unfortunately is remains stigmatized and this will likely never changed. And don't try the "leads to other drugs" line because you know what? The drug that most commonly leads to other drugs (as well as pregancy and other such things) is alcohol.

The medical community is starting to recognize this. Currently (I won't go into details for various legal reasons) we don't accept patients who smoke nicotine but we allow MJ as long as it's not abused (by recognized psychiatric criteria.)

Golf clap for DrD.

In keeping with the Cruise theme, I wish more people were " onboard " with your thinking. In Canada we seem to have a more liberal view towards MJ and in fact will probably decriminalize it in the next couple of years. ( small personal amounts )

That said, I would never actively pursue the purchase and use of ganja while in a foreign country. No sense looking for trouble.

I should know better than to get caught up in this but....

As a physician let me tell you that MJ is the SAFEST drug around. It's much safer than either alcohol or nicotine. I have seen thousands of patients whose health has been destroyed by alcohol or nicotine but I have yet to see one whose life has been destroyed by MJ. If I was interested in mind-altering substances (I'm not) this would be my drug of choice. The only one safer is caffeine.

Unfortunately is remains stigmatized and this will likely never changed. And don't try the "leads to other drugs" line because you know what? The drug that most commonly leads to other drugs (as well as pregancy and other such things) is alcohol.

The medical community is starting to recognize this. Currently (I won't go into details for various legal reasons) we don't accept patients who smoke nicotine but we allow MJ as long as it's not abused (by recognized psychiatric criteria.)

Hooray for intelligent, educated people like you! :) I myself do not partake...BUT, I completely agree with you on all points you brought up.

But back to the point..:) I would never ever ever even think about buying any drug in a foreign country! Who in the world would want to risk being locked up in a foreign jail, YIKES!

Wow, what a statement. I am 36 years old, I own 2 business, have 2 beautiful daughters, belong to many civic organizations, give a lot of money to many charities and volunteer at a local foodbank, and enjoy the occasional joint.

I do not do it around my children, i have never been arrested, and live a very good life.

I think the above statement is ignorant and obnoxious.

Do not judge others unless you live a perfect life.

with the above being said, i would not even think about trying to buy the stuff in another country, way to much at stake and way too many people trying to get over on you

Those are wonderful things. However, you are failing to set an example for your girls in at least one regard, and that is having respect for law. Regardless of how safe it is or how little it affects you life, the fact is that if you are smoking marijuana in the United States (or in Jamaica) what you are doing is against the law-- and until it is no longer against the law, you are a lawless individual.

It never ceases to amaze me how the human mind can rationalize things.

Regardless of your personal beliefs, you owe it to your children to pass on to them the value that laws and statutes are meant to be obeyed and respected. If change is needed in the way we see things, it will come. But the way to effect such change is to be civic-minded and get involved, NOT to break the law.

Instead you choose to endanger your daughters all the same, by taking the chance of being arrested, and thereby separated from them--all for "the occassional joint". How unfortunate that would be!

Let's not be too self-congratulatory, pieshops. :rolleyes:

I think he said he doesn't use it in front of his daughters.

here are some other things that are against the law:

speeding

not paying sales tax on internet purchases

not coming to a full stop at a stop sign

sodomy (look up the definition, the laws apply to married, opposite sex couples as well.)

Are you a lawless person? I am. I never pay sales tax on my interent purchases, do you?

We visited Ocho Rios on our last cruise and really enjoyed the island. I read many reviews from cruisers who strongly suggested to not get off the ship in Jamaica because of the crime and drugs.

While we were approached to have my wife's hair braided, take an excursion or even buy some 'reefer' all we had to do was say no thanks and that was that.

If you wish to partake in drug smoking and/or buying you take the risk of getting caught and/or being ripped off. If you stay away from it you'll have no problem and probably will have a great time while visiting the island.

Also, you may want to go way back into the CC archives and read posts from people who have been targeted for drug searches after visiting the island. Just let me say it ain't too pretty!:eek:

Sea Island Lady I have seen the type you are talking about. They include the critically ill, people who suffer chronic pain daily, even after all those surgeries that didn't help, Thes ones with nausea and diarrhea so bad they can't maintain there weight. Thank G-- not everyone is so out of touch, and more states are looking to legalize it for medical purposes. Carla

I think he said he doesn't use it in front of his daughters.

here are some other things that are against the law:

speeding

not paying sales tax on internet purchases

not coming to a full stop at a stop sign

sodomy (look up the definition, the laws apply to married, opposite sex couples as well.)

Are you a lawless person? I am. I never pay sales tax on my interent purchases, do you?

Am I perfectly law abiding? No. I'm not perfect. But does the fact that these laws are commonly broken make it OK to break them?

In all the pages and pages of case law I've reviewed, I don't know of any court that says "Oh yeah, everyone breaks that law, so you're not accountable for your actions.":rolleyes:

If you find one, let me know.

Furthermore, it is my firm conviction that when has children, that person is accountable on another level for their actions. If something is against the law, it just is, and I would be loathe to teach any child that it's fine to routinely ignore the rule of law.

He doesn't need to use it in front of his daughters to be arrested and taken away from them, does he?

DrD -

I do not buy your argument because I watched first hand how the use of "MJ" destroyed a life. He spouted your arguments word for word and almost had me believe that it was safe. He now has ruined his life because this "non-gateway" drug led him to all the others, and I mean ALL the other drugs. The last I heard he was in re-hab but in my eyes, once a user always a user.

BTW, he bought some "MJ" in the Bahamas and proceeding to "enjoy" on it the SOS. I, of course, was sure I'd end up in prison.

My opinion is to stay away....stay very, very far away.

Apart from all the moral arguements, I would be afraid of what I was buying. You would have no idea what was in it. It could contain anything. Would you want to take that chance? I wouldn't. Not that I'd chose to use MJ - heck I'm so old that I wouldn't have a clue where to buy it in my city. :o

Beth

DrD -

I do not buy your argument because I watched first hand how the use of "MJ" destroyed a life. He spouted your arguments word for word and almost had me believe that it was safe. He now has ruined his life because this "non-gateway" drug led him to all the others, and I mean ALL the other drugs. The last I heard he was in re-hab but in my eyes, once a user always a user.

BTW, he bought some "MJ" in the Bahamas and proceeding to "enjoy" on it the SOS. I, of course, was sure I'd end up in prison.

My opinion is to stay away....stay very, very far away.

Again, any drug can lead to any other. Did your friend ever try alcohol or nicotine prior to MJ? Why don't you blame those drugs for casuing his problems? The more we understand about the physiologic principles of addiction, the more we realize that it is silly to blame the drug or drugs in question rather than the underlying neuropathology. Most people with addiction problems will find a substance to abuse regardless of what's available.

Here's the scoop: all drugs are bad for you. All drugs can lead to addiction. All drugs should be avoided. Even caffeine may increase the risk for some type of cancer. The legal status of drugs is not based on science, but rather social mores that evolved along time ago, well before neurotransmitters were even discovered much less understood in terms of addiction medicine.

Unfortunately, the threat of legal action does not deter drug addicts. Why should it? I've seen smokers with laryngeal cancer smoke through their tracheostomies. I've seen smokers continuing to smoke despite having mutiple bypass surgeries. I can't tell you how many alcoholics I've seen go back to drinking after a liver transplant despite having almost died from their previous alcohol abuse. If grevious bodily harm is no deterent, why would legal prosecution be a deterrent? It didn't work for alcohol in prohibition. Mothers will abandon their babies for their next crack hit. Addiction can be such a powerful force that no threat of jail or fines will counteract it. If tobacco were made illegal tomorrow, do you doubt for a second that many otherwise moral, good people would continue to smoke? Not becasue they're evil but because they simply can't stop.

Eventually the non-scientists who run the country will understand that drug addiction is a medical, not legal, issue. I just hope it's in my lifetime.

rtobiejr, I agree that one should be reponsible for one's actions. If one breaks the law, one should acept the consequences. I would never advocate teaching children to break the law. (heck, I won't even smuggle liquor on board a cruise ship.) But let's not confuse legality with morality as we often seem to. Did you hear about that women in the news recently who was set free form jail after killing her husband? The judge set her free after seeing the video in which the husband raped and impregnated her daughter. Was her act illegal? Yes. Immoral? Maybe not.

I have a client ( or i should say ex client ) that is sitting in a Jamaican jail for possession right now. She is an educated, well respected and affluent middle aged woman. She unfortunately didn't think " one joint " would hurt. So she bought one. Seconds later she was arrested. That was in August. Her family called me to see if I could help. Against my better judgement I did make some calls to no avail. As of yet even the embassy hasn't been able to get to her case yet. As far as they are concerned it is just not a priority at this time.

rtobiejr, I agree that one should be reponsible for one's actions. If one breaks the law, one should acept the consequences. I would never advocate teaching children to break the law. (heck, I won't even smuggle liquor on board a cruise ship.) But let's not confuse legality with morality as we often seem to. Did you hear about that women in the news recently who was set free form jail after killing her husband? The judge set her free after seeing the video in which the husband raped and impregnated her daughter. Was her act illegal? Yes. Immoral? Maybe not.
So now smoking weed is the moral thing to do? No one ever bought up whether his drug usage is moral or immoral...the poster did not mention whether his motive in smoking marijuana is to save his own life, or to right some wrong:rolleyes:. It sounded like a recreational thing. It is wrong to endanger one's own children's right to a happy home life because of a substance.

I wish not to confuse this with a moral issue, but to point out again that this is illegal and the possibility of arrest is all too real.

"I wonder what type of person would even think about smoking pot... period! Nevermind, I don't need to wonder as I have seen that type and they are not a pretty sight."

On the TV show "Cops" they confiscate the cars of people caught buying drugs. Then they haul them off to jail. How's that for impressing your family?

I have been to Montego Bay once and no one tried to sell me drugs. Probably because I didn't look like "the type" to buy them.

Drug users use lots of arguments to justify their use of illegal drugs but none of them seem to work when they are arrested.

Flame away!

OK, I was not going to respond to respect the wishes of the poster that didn't want this thread to become an argument on whether smoking MJ is moral or not. However, others have decided to, so I will try to make this brief.

I wonder what type of person would even think about smoking pot... period! Nevermind, I don't need to wonder as I have seen that type and they are (should have been were) not a pretty sight.

Perhaps my statement should have read the way Rustynail 's did. During my numerous travels, I have observed many young men and women (pot smokers/drug users) being searched by drug dogs, being hand cuffed, getting violent, thrown to the ground or up against a car...you get the picture as of the type I was speaking of. It doesn't matter to me how they were dressed, how they looked, how much money they had (obviously had enough to buy the drugs) or how old they were...they were using drugs, got busted and made a fuss.

I understand that there are other laws that we all break everyday (some with devastating consequences), but that's beside the point here. Breaking the law by handling/using drugs is a huge offense...much more serious (by law) than speeding, not paying your internet taxes, etc.! Illegal drugs (as well as alcohol abuse) of any kind have caused an outbreak of crime, violence, neglect and poverty in the world.

Wow, what a statement. I am 36 years old, I own 2 business, have 2 beautiful daughters, belong to many civic organizations, give a lot of money to many charities and volunteer at a local foodbank, and enjoy the occasional joint.

I do not do it around my children, i have never been arrested, and live a very good life.

I think the above statement is ignorant and obnoxious.

Do not judge others unless you live a perfect life.

with the above being said, i would not even think about trying to buy the stuff in another country, way to much at stake and way too many people trying to get over on you

Our lives are very similar. ;) The difference is that I also have a teenage son, along with my daughters that I try to set a good example for. We are very active in church, the United Way, the Chamber of Commerce, school, youth and try to live life the way we are taught. I do not smoke pot or take any illegal drugs. I am always home when my children come home and don't plan on doing anything to jeopardize that.

Yes, I feel my life is perfect. God has blessed us many times over.:)

This is crazy!!!..I realize Marijuana is ILLEGAL,but it shouldn't be!!

DrD makes some really good points!!!...If i wasn't stoned rite now i would be able to type what i mean,but marijuana made me so stupid i can't even type!!!:D:D..Just Kidding!!!

Don't ever buy Marijuana in Jamaica...It's not that good!!!!;):D

Just trieing to put a little humor to a "starting to get serious"thread!!!

I wonder what type of person would even think about smoking pot... period! Nevermind, I don't need to wonder as I have seen that type and they are not a pretty sight.

Let me guess your age?? First I am sure you were already grown up in the 1960s.

I bet you are in your middle or late 60s now. Which is OK.

I was brought up in Southern California. I was in High School and college during the 60s and WOW! I saw "THAT TYPE" a lot when I was growing up....And most of the girsl that I saw smoking that stuff were Fantastic looking and were going to some of the most expensive schools in the LA area. If you haven't heard IT was the thing to do in those days. Most of these POT Smokers went on to harder drugs though- LIKE "Booze, Tobacco and perscription Drugs".

Tom

I understand that there are other laws that we all break everyday (some with devastating consequences), but that's beside the point here. Breaking the law by handling/using drugs is a huge offense...much more serious (by law) than speeding, not paying your internet taxes, etc.! Illegal drugs (as well as alcohol abuse) of any kind have caused an outbreak of crime, violence, neglect and poverty in the world.

I respect your opinions and eloquence, but I would recommend doing some research before making such statements. The MJ laws in Colorado are as follows:

1 oz or less petty offense none $100

1 oz or less - failure to appear misdemeanor 6 months $500

Display or use in public misdemeanor 15 days additional none

1 to 8 oz misdemeanor 6 - 18 months $500 - $5,000 ($600 surcharge)

More than 8 oz felony 1 -3 years $1,000 - $100,000 ($1,125 surcharge)

Subsequent convictions over 1 oz could double penalties.

Medical use permitted with no more than 2 oz, or 6 plants, physician recommendation and state registration.

16 - 48 hours community service required with diverted prison sentence.

So the poster in question if caught smoking MJ in his home (not likely) would face a fine of $100. If he was so stupid as to display or smoke in public, it would be a misdemeanor and jail time highly unlikely, rather he'd do 16 hours community service.

As for illegal drugs causing crime, it seems to me that if you make something illegal you may cause some crime. Crazy, huh? Actually if you think about it most of the adverse consequences of drug use are related to the fact that they're illegal. And you mentioned violence, that is more associated with alcohol than with any other drug.

Again, I am against all drug use, it's just that I look at drugs from a scientific rather than a moral or legal view, and with that view all drugs including alcohol and nicotine are dangerous, and MJ is perhaps less dangerous than some but more dangerous than others. It certainly doesn't deserve to be put in its own category of "drug" while alcohol and nicotine are somehow OK. I just saw on CNN that another college student has died of alcohol poisoning. No one in history has died of MJ poisoning (it's impossible.) So why the double standard?

My stepson & some of his buddies are taking a cruise in a few weeks. They are age 23 to 30. Going on Carnival Conquest. I spoke to him tonight & he said that they all think that pot is legal in Jamaica. That you could buy it & smoke it on the island as long as you did not bring it back to the ship. I told him I certainly didn't think so. I have seen suitcases offloaded in Jamaica & heard that it was people who had purchased drugs while in port & then were turned in or caught & arrested. I know that some people do get pot there & bring it back on the ship (you can smell it in the halls after leaving Jamaica) & get away with it, but I sure would be afraid to try it. A Jamaican jail does not sound very pleasant to me. So, does anyone know? Legal or not?

PS My stepson assures me that he doesn't smoke the stuff, his friends were just wondering. Yeah, Well just in case he isn't being entirely truthful I would sure like to be able to tell him the consequences of making such a purchase.

I told him to never ever ever even think about it in Mexico.

Thanks for any info

Sharon

If they want to smoke with relative freedom, Jamaica is not the place. The Netherlands on the other hand ...

Nominally illegal, however totally unenforced, and on the very unusual chance you would get busted, a lot nicer place to do so than Jamaica.

This is crazy!!!..I realize Marijuana is ILLEGAL,but it shouldn't be!!

DrD makes some really good points!!!...If i wasn't stoned rite now i would be able to type what i mean,but marijuana made me so stupid i can't even type!!!:D:D..Just Kidding!!!

Don't ever buy Marijuana in Jamaica...It's not that good!!!!;):D

Just trieing to put a little humor to a "starting to get serious"thread!!!

Thanks for that, it was hilarious and now I'm laughing so hard I'm practically crying. :D

Pot should definitely not be illegal.... alcohol is more harmful and causes people to do very stupid things that they will probably regret when they sober up!

BTW Sealady, I don't know what state you live in...but the state I live in any possession of marijuana that is under 1 oz. (which happens to be a LOT of joints) is just a ticket...no getting arrested or anything like that. It's basically like a speeding ticket. It's a misdemeanor not a felony like you are making it sound.

I wonder what type of person would even think about smoking pot... period! Nevermind, I don't need to wonder as I have seen that type and they are not a pretty sight.

rtobiejr - Your story makes me glad that we got back on ship safely after having been to Jamica twice. I may not get off again if we go back...although we did have a blast at Margarittaville. :D

You must be referring to the guys with dreadlocks that are high on crack. The pot smokers are driving the cabs and doing a good job.

Sorry to interrupt with information pertaining to the original question :D

But here are some quotes from the US State Department regarding Jamaica:

Click Here For Link To Full Text

Drug use is prevalent in some tourist areas. American citizens should avoid buying, selling, holding, or taking illegal drugs under any circumstances. There is anecdotal evidence that the use of so-called date rape drugs, such as Ruhypnol, has become more common at clubs and private parties. Marijuana, cocaine, heroin and other illegal narcotics are especially potent in Jamaica, and their use may lead to severe or even disastrous health consequences.

CRIMINAL PENALTIES: While in a foreign country, a U.S. citizen is subject to that country's laws and regulations, which sometimes differ significantly from those in the United States and may not afford the protections available to the individual under U.S. law. Penalties for breaking the law can be more severe than in the United States for similar offenses. Persons violating Jamaican laws, even unknowingly, may be expelled, arrested or imprisoned. Penalties for possession, use, or trafficking in illegal drugs in Jamaica are strict and convicted offenders can expect jail sentences and heavy fines.

Prison conditions in Jamaica differ greatly from prison conditions in the United States. Prisoners are provided only the most basic meals and must rely upon family and friends to supplement their diets, provide clothing, and supply personal care items such as toothpaste and shampoo. Packages shipped from the United States to prisoners are subject to Jamaican import taxes and are undeliverable when the recipient lacks the funds to pay the duties.

You may also want to peruse this LINK giving an overview of drugs abroad.

Hope this helps,

Charlie - who now returns you to the off topic discussion of the morality of Mary Jane.

Archived