Is early May too cold in Alaska?

sppunk

For a honeymoon, my fiance and I are looking at the Norweigan Sun sailing on May 8, 2005, with a balcony (The sailing is Vanouver roundtrip - does this sailing visit the Sawyer Glaciers?). My fear (I've been to Alaska before, but in July) is that it will be still too cold that early in May, especially for a balcony.

We also are looking into the Princess Sun sailing from Vancouvery to Whittier on May 9, but I believe that will be too much of a stretch on my budget, considering we are paying for the wedding ourselves.

Any tips/help is greatly appreciated.

Chris

We took our first cruise last May. It was the Pacific Coastal/Alaska cruise. It was for 14 days on Celebrity. Started out in San Diego and went as far north as Hubbard Glacier. Weather was not really cold, when we got to Alaska the temp was between 50 and 65. We are from Iowa, so cold to us might be different than what you consider cold. We also had a balcony. We did sit out there a few days. Got a lot of pictures and video, just pop open the doors and video and snap away. So much scenery to see in Alaska. Had rain only 2 days, guess that is a little below average. So, we had a great time, weather wise, you just have to wait and see whats in the card. We will be taking our second cruise in April to the Caribbean in April. We booked inside cabin for this one. Have a great time!!!

Sppunk: I suggest you go over to the "Celebrity" board and find the thread entitled "Cinco da mayo..May 2004". All of the people on that thread went to Alaska on 5 May 2004. You should ask them, they'll certainly know..at least as far as last year's weather went. I went on the 17th of May. We had one day of rain (in Sitka); people were wearing shorts in Juneau; did a trail ride out of Skagway and it was dusty and dry...I personally would go back to Alaska in May each and every year, if I could!

Budget Queen is one of the authorities on Alaska on these boards however and she is absolutely correct ......LAYERING is the key!

Go, and have a wonderful and very memorable honeymoon

Archived