Back from 12 night Western Med on NCL Jade!

We're back from a great trip!!

Barcelona

Rome

Athens

Izmir (to see Ephesus & Sirince)

Alexandria (to see Cairo)

Malta

Wow!!

In Barcelona - stayed at the Amister hotel. GREAT hotel for a family of 4 (had a "suite" on the 7th floor - very nice by European standards! More than we expected - GREAT bathroom!!!) the location is OK (not great) as you need a cab to the pier and from the airport. But you are walking distance to the metro - and we used that to get around and sight see. VERY easy!

Rome - we hired a private guide http://www.driverguideservice.com Worth EVERY PENNY!! Had a private guide for the Vatican which they arranged as well (at no additional cost!) - priceless!!! There were 27 of us from our Roll Call that all used this company and we ALL loved our guides! Fantastic company and I will sing their praises for years to come!

Athens - did on our own using the metro (very easy and very cheap!). 1 Euro from the port to the Acropolis! Ate lunch at a local restaurant in the Platka! Great food!

Izmir (Ephesus) - hired a private guide http://www.ephesusexcursions.com (Meander Travel is the name of the company). Had Hazan as our guide and LOVED him! He is an archeoligist, and the insight he was able to provide at the Ephesus museum and in the Terrace houses was priceless! Terrace houses are NOT to be missed! We also visited the mountain top villiage of Sirince - nice! LOVED Turkey in general, and can't wait to go back!

Egypt -

day 1 - did the NCL Cairo tour (up and back). Enjoyed the tour, felt it was a decent value for the money. Tour guide was great (female, but can't remember her name). Our security guard took us under his wing while visiting the SPhinx - which was GREATLY appreciated. (long story, will post it in full review)

day 2 - did nothing except shop at pier shops in Alexandria. Day 1 wore us out and kind of soured us on going out on our own in Alexandria. No tours appealed to us - so we shopped at our leisure and had the ship to ourselves.

Malta - did it on our own. Took the HOHO bus (northern route) up to Mdina and walked around there for an hour. Enjoyed the scenic bus route and commentary. Walked around Valletta for a bit and then back down to the pier. I'd LOVE to see Malta in the Spring or late summer.... not much going on in the dead of winter.

Questions????

:-D

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise. I remember discussing private tours in Egypt with you.....sorry that didn't work out. I think you would have had an entirely different experience of Egypt.

yes - you were a HUGE help in my decision process .... but something just never clicked for me and I took the "easy way out" I guess.

If hubby and I go back - we'll do it with Emad and trust our gut instincts a bit more. LOL

Thanks for your help though!

How many were in your tour in Rome? Sounds like you really enjoyed the limo service. Thanks for posting.

sorry - just saw this.

we had a total of 4 vans from our 27 roll call members that joined in.

each van operated as it's own "entity" with private driver/guide for both around Rome and in the Vatican.

the most that was in a van was 8 pax, two had 6, and one had 7.

everyone LOVED the guides and the entire experience.

going off season was FABULOUS! No lines to ANYTHING!

Archived