Another dress question over spring break in March ... sry!

amuth

As a first time cruiser this Thanksgiving 09 on FOTS, we are taking the children with us. These posts have been interesting as we just don't know what to bring on these nights. When talking about children, it IS the parents responsibility for their dress. I want to make sure we do what is best and fun as well. The kids love to get dressed up. A question I have and maybe a possibility is that my 9 yr. old daughter was in a wedding this past fall. The dress is floor length and I was wondering if this was too over the top to bring for her to wear. Obviously these dresses were only worn once and I would love to have a reason for her to wear it again if it still fits her at the time. What do you all think?

Barb

Absolutely appropriate! My last cruise the kids LOVED dressing up the most. My daughter (then age 7) was a bit miffed that my son (then age 5) garnered a LOT of attention since he was dressed in his tuxedo! They had a blast - and you will, too!

Be sure to check out the Family Forum for more info about cruising with kids!

I've cruised with a lot of people who have refused to dress up at formal night ... why? Because they wear suits on a day to day basis and don't want to wear one on vacation, not because they are slobs. The plain point of it is, the rules are not enforced, so no, you don't need a suit in the dining room. This is not a question of breaking rules on the sly ... it is done in plain sight without a word.

If people want to talk about how cruising "used to be," they can pay more (like they used to for cruises) and go on an up-scale line. Otherwise ... Carnival, Royal ... there will be those who don't dress up.

To all that provided advice,

Thank you! Based on responses he will be bringing his suit just in case, along with casual clothes for non-formal nights. I appreciate your help with a topic that can get repetitive and spark some fires on here. :)

Seeing that we are both in grad school to receive our MBA's next year and both have jobs involving suits daily, we know how to dress and utter sentences. Like many posters, I just wanted to see if we must bring those suits on a vacation. ;)

You're going on Spring Break, enjoy yourselves. once you are done with your MBA's you'll be wishing for Spring Break. Wear whatever is going to make you comfortable.

Wouldn't it be nice if he simply rented a tux for the formal evening and you two would not only have a great formal photo but he can also have the chance to roleplay "James Bond" for the night?

In most all species the male is the most flamboyant...don't tell me the men don't like the attention they get when the ladies swoon over a guy in a tux--and you could be the lucky lady on his arm!

Guys don't like to admit openly that they know they'll look killer in a tux...it's up to the woman to push him in that direction. However, if he just doesn't want to make your heart race and your mind turn to thoughts of desire...well, a pair of Dockers and a golf shirt should be fine.

My boyfriend and I will be on the Navigator for our college spring break the week of March 16th. We've only been on one other cruise with RCCL ... the Sovereign last March. There, the dress code was pretty relaxed, even on formal night (probably due to all spring breakers) and we saw a ton of jeans and such in the dining room.

Can he get away with nice jeans in the dining room on NOS? And should he bring a jacket for formal night this time, or do you think he can get away without?

Thanks for your help ... I know these attire questions are repetitive. :)

Well I see the fashion police aka trolls are out in force on this one. A nice pair of jeans and a polo shirt or shirt with collar will be fine in the MDR on all nights except formal. On formal night a sport coat would be nice but some do not wear one. So in answer to your question, he can get by without wearing a sport coat.

Personally I do wear the sport coat on formal night into the MDR and take it off as soon as I get to my table. I do not wear a tie as I am retired and refuse to wear one ever again.

The country is becoming less formal. Pax used to dress up to board an airplane. Today they wear just about anything including shorts and tshirt. Companies now have informal Fridays. When I started as an engineer I had to wear a plain shirt (usually white), tie and pants. By the time I retired I wore a sport shirt with collar and jeans. If you want to dress up and pretend you are at a formal dinner, join a country club. The MDR is not a five star restaurant and the President will not be attending. The past is gone and the future is just around the corner.

Archived