RSVP Eurodam Feb 21, 2008 (reborn)

Boytjie

If you like "vintage" there are two Thrift Shops in the area also, Out Of The Closet and Povarello, both of which support worthy charities.

Hopes this helps, :)

r.

OOOH I love me "OUT OF THE CLOSET"! I'll have to make a point to swing by there when I am in Ft. La te dah, after the cruise. There is nothing better than a gay owned thrift store.

I can't believe it is almost here. Only 5 days till I start my vacation. First IBR in SF next weekend then I fly to the Palm Plaza Resort in Ft Lauderdale for 3 days then into my very own room on the Eurodam. I've been with 3 and 2 in a room before and it was tight. I will be alone so I will need to meet some of you in person. Especially looking forward to met Matt in Fl who I have known from the boards for years and I think used to live in LA.

Got my mask for Mardi Gras but I'm packing light and only bringing one medium suitcase but the Tux has to come to since MILK is up for 8 Academy awards.

I had people vote on my Live Journal on whether I should wear a tux as it is lightweight wool and everybody voted for me to wear the tux.

Thanks for restarting the thread. I am glad I was current in reading everyone's posts for the information and all the laughs. I don't rememeber seeing anything that would have really caused them to take it down unless it was just the huge volume, maybe we filled CC's memory capacity.

Anyone else staying at the Grand before the cruise?

Ohhh ohhhh - it's a lesson learned ! They removed the old thread becoz everybody is aiming to be the "Eurodam Queen" (just kidding) . Honestly , i missed reading those "words of wisdom " from our overly smart , and witty CC folks . King Peter , please use your power ... bring back the old thread ! It's so funny & very informative. Pardon me but i have one stupid question being a virgin cuiser , is there any safety deposit box inside our cabins ? have a nice day guys ...

Thanks, Peter, for getting the thread up and going again. :)

I was wondering if anyone has used any of the HAL spa services before and what they thought of them? Would you do them again? Perhaps, more importantly, are there any you wouldn't do again? Did you get a really good deal during port days?

Pardon me but i have one stupid question being a virgin cuiser , is there any safety deposit box inside our cabins ? have a nice day guys ...

Yes, there is a small safe in your room. I believe it is the kind like you find in most hotels where you set your own four-digit access code.

Hi all:

This is our first cruise and I have a question about the first night (wear a t-shirt from your hometown).

Does everyone usually wear the shirt before boarding and then throughout the night or do you change into it at some point in the evening?

Also, what time does the luggage usually arrive at our room?

Just wondering if we should pack our t-shirt in our carry on stuff or just wear it as we're boarding.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi all:

This is our first cruise and I have a question about the first night (wear a t-shirt from your hometown).

Does everyone usually wear the shirt before boarding and then throughout the night or do you change into it at some point in the evening?

Just wondering if we should pack our t-shirt in our carry on stuff or just wear it as we're boarding.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

You can wear your hometown Tshirt already when you board. Everybody can see on the Welcome on board pics in the photo gallery where you are from.

If you opt for dining in the main dining room or speciality restaurants you are required to wear a proper shirt (at least that's what is written).

But it's just a party theme really for the bon voyage party on deck. Quite a good idea, I will wear the same one as last year again :-)

Reint

Thanks, Peter, for getting the thread up and going again. :)

I was wondering if anyone has used any of the HAL spa services before and what they thought of them? Would you do them again? Perhaps, more importantly, are there any you wouldn't do again? Did you get a really good deal during port days?

The spa is great ,little pricey but i had a great seaweed body wrap on the Zuiderdam and felt all new after. BEWARE! they tried to sell me $500.00 worth of gunk at the end.....be firm or they will talk you into something!

Hi all:

Thanks,

Chris

Based on past experience, you can expect your luggage to arrive sometime between Noon and 8 PM. It's always a good idea to pack some things in your carry on. The later you board, the longer it will take to get there.

If it is not there by 8PM, contact the front desk.

Based on past experience, you can expect your luggage to arrive sometime between Noon and 8 PM. It's always a good idea to pack some things in your carry on. The later you board, the longer it will take to get there.

If it is not there by 8PM, contact the front desk.

I'm going to bring a LARGE suitcase and a garment bag for my fancy clothes and a carry on.

Can I carry my garment bag and carry on with me or do I have to check it :confused: I'm assuming if it fits through a x-ray machine I'm alright?

:)

C. Jackson would be so awesome to be on the cruise. I just can't wait. Picked up a mask for the Mardi Gras party today. It is finally warm down here in florida today! Got up in the 70's in my neck of the woods so you all coming from up north will be able to thaw out soon!! I so look forward to meeting all of you at the silk Den on sunday.

CincinnatiChris............former Cincy guy here!!!

Hi all:

Thanks,

Chris

Based on my past experience you can carry off your luggage if you want to de-board faster. I have always brough a carry on bag with me since it seems like it takes forever to get your luggage. You just have to let them know what you want to carry on instead of checking. As long as the rooms are ready they are ok with you carrying on bags. At least that is my expereince but I have never tried to take my large luggage to the room. Only carried it off myself so I could get to the airport faster. We are driving to the port this year so that won't be an issue but I am still planning on carrying off all our luggage so I do not have to look through a "Sea" of black luggage to find our stuff.

Hi all:

Thanks,

Chris

I'm going to bring a LARGE suitcase and a garment bag for my fancy clothes and a carry on.

Can I carry my garment bag and carry on with me or do I have to check it :confused: I'm assuming if it fits through a x-ray machine I'm alright?

:)

Hi all:

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, welcome to the new and wonderful RSVP Eurodam board! We are also first time RSVP cruisers and looking forward to a wonderful time.

I am also a former Cincy boy!

And just as a tease to get us ready....its in the 70's in the Carolina's today!!

Just think, in two weeks we will be getting in our "fancy" clothes and getting ready for an Oscar party!!!!

dave

My experience is that if you arrive at the port early so you can be the first on - it's chaos. Besides, if you're cabin isn't ready you're stuck sitting somewhere babysitting your carry-on. On a November Eurodam cruise I arrived at the port at 1 or 1:30, walked on with no wait, and straight to the cabin. Hard not to get excited and rush to the port, but if you can wait, do.

Speaking of Eurodam, don't forget a watch or clock - there's none in the cabin (though you can dial '58' from any phone to get the time).

Our luggage was in the cabin by 8. It came in waves - a bag here, two there. You don't have to wait for it or anything, it just magically arrives.

Kevin

Here's my list of Eurodam tips for new-to-the-board peeps, should you find it useful:

- I know you want to be Kate Winslet and ‘fly’ at the front of the ship. Access to the hidden bow-deck is from deck 5 forward. Keep going forward, through the door at the front, and then through the little port-hole like door. Really. It’s allowed and cool. And VERY windy.

- There are no clocks in the room, and I know you don’t want to miss any of the RSVP entertainment – so bring a travel clock. You can also dial 58 on the phone to get the time. Besides, it seems you're in a different time-zone every day and gets confusing.

- You’ll be drinking a lot, so you’ll be getting up even more in the night to pee. Bring a nightlight. Especially handy for those with inside cabins.

- Beer starts out cold, but warms quickly. Bring coolies to hold your beer.

- You can carry on wine for your own in-room consumption (or $5 corking fee in the restaurants).

- You may order three glasses of wine at some point, and they’ll encourage you to ‘just get a bottle.’ Don’t. They don’t sell bottles of the house wine, so you’ll end up spending more.

- There are ice machines on every deck but 10 and 11. It’s behind the metal door. Your cabin guy can also get you ice.

- Bring reef/river shoes for the beach. The beach in Turks is beautiful, but rocky.

- There are drawers at the foot of each bed that you may not find if you didn’t know they’re there. Great for stowing stuff.

- You’ll wear more t-shirts and fewer changes of shorts than you expect. Let’s face it, you’ll get up, throw on a t-shirt and your swim suit, and hang out until the evening. Especially for shore excursions that include water.

- Formal dining is more of the European style. If you don’t like 2 hour meals, consider using the buffet.

- Open seating is packed the first night, but then settles down. Open seating at 8:00 is difficult, at 6:30 it’s open. You may make reservations even though you have open seating. If you do, then just go to the right-hand side of the station, don’t wait in line. Again, the RSVP crowd will be WAY different that what I saw, so this advice may be moot.

- HAL offered a ‘carry-off’ option for disembarkation – if you can carry all your luggage unassisted, then you can walk off around 7:15 a.m.

First, every day that goes by, I get more and excited about getting the heck away from DC... I'm going to be absolutely worthless at work before the end of the week!

Second, I can't tell if these 65 degree days we're having here in Washington are helping or hurting my excitement. Oh, who am I kidding - it's only making me more excited for the guaranteed warmth of the lower lattitudes!

Thanks, Peter, for getting the thread up and going again.

Anything to keep a good thing going.

I have had massages, and they were OK. I hate when some of them start trying to sell you products - a quick 'no thanks' should stop that. We had a couples massage on Half Moon Cay last year and that was fun - they do it in a cabana on the beach. We did a rasul (sp?) treatment on the Caribbean Princess that was fun: you smear each other with mud, take a steam, wash off and rub each other with salt and creams. Nice. :)

I know the ship has an extensive library to choose from, but has anybody read anything lately that they just loved and would recommend for a ship-board read? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have taken books to read on a gay cruise - and brought them back unopened. There's just too much going on. But a friend enjoyed lounging on the balcony reading so it can be done.

I am planning on major shopping for summer clothers in FLL the day before the cruise. So if you have suggestions just let me know.

Reint

Go to Wilton Manors (where Georgies' Alibi is located, its in a strip mall area and there are a few really "appropriately stocked" clothing stores for your shopping needs.

Yes, there is a small safe in your room. I believe it is the kind like you find in most hotels where you set your own four-digit access code.

I believe some on the Eurodam are large enough to lock up a laptop computer.

The cabins are usually not available until 1 pm and I would recommend not trying to get to your cabin even just to drop some luggage off - give the stewards a chance to finish preparing your cabin, the time they have to turn around the cabins is short.

There is usually an area on the Lido deck near the pool where you can check your carry-on luggage.

We usually board after Noon and it has not been too crazy. Our bags have always been in our cabin before the muster drill and we have even unpacked prior to the drill too. Or it may not show up till 8 pm. Keep important things in your carry-on (meds etc), maybe a change of clothes and a bathing suit just in case you can't wait to take a swim, get some sun or show off that winter gym body. ;)

As for carrying off your luggage: make sure to note that on the disembarkation form that you have to fill in during the first few days. It means that you have to be able to carry all your stuff unassisted, so if you have two trunks, a hat box and three Louis Vuitton suitcases don't even try to get your cute cabin steward to help you with it!

1. Pete...I will attend the M&G so count me in. My cabin is 10044 (an inside way "on top". Up there with the rich guys.....and closer to where some play and we innocent avoid:D

Closer to G*d?

5. Now everyone go out and buy a basic black speedo so I can conduct my own American Idol......creativity counts and evens the playing field......strutt, pose, flaunt....then repeat. I need to have some fun.

Check ;)

7. Pete...first round is on me.....time to defrost!:p
After a week in Ft. Lauderdale and Key West I think I will have defrosted by the time we meet, but I am pretty sure I'll be thirsty! :D

Archived