RSVP Eurodam Feb 21, 2008 (reborn)

Boytjie

Can I carry my garment bag and carry on with me or do I have to check it :confused: I'm assuming if it fits through a x-ray machine I'm alright?

:)

You'll be just fine. If they can't X=ray it, they will just open it and take a look at the contents.

OK, well here we are - and still no word on our original thread. I guess we just have to assume it is not coming back. Sad.

Anyway - as to luggage - although you have an option of taking your luggage off yourself, no matter the size (as long as you can carry it)...it's not the same for departure. They use airport type x-ray machines for your carryons and they will not let you take large bags on board that way, as they don't fit. That's why it is so important to make sure anything valuable or necessary is in your carry on, and that you have the stuff you want to wear the first few hours (or for dinner) with you, too. It can take a while for the bags to get to you.

As to the spa - almost every spa on every cruise ship operating today is run by a company called Steiner. Therefore, you will notice that the treatments and products are the same as most any other cruise you have taken, as are the prices, specials, etc. (Expect that 3 service "spa taster" for $99 on a port day :) ) As with any personal service, how you like your treatment really depends on the person doing it. I always get something, and for the most part have always had good luck. I always make it clear I am not going to buy products and they have almost always respected that. Stick to the basics - massages, facials, etc, and you will be fine. They usually sell a "spa pass" for access to the hydrotherapy pool, and sauna/steam areas for the week. When they sell a lot of week long passes, they don't always offer the day passes - so if this is something you want, it is best to go to the spa the first day and ask about it. That package they are selling on the HAL site is way more than the week long pass has ever cost and includes things you do not need.

As to dinner - on Westerdam and Zuiderdam, we never had an issue with seating for dinner. No one ever checked our card for which time or which level of the dining room, and there was never a problem getting a table. I don't expect it to be much different on Eurodam.

See you all soon.

Hey all....1st time cruiser and was just seeking some advice from the more experienced amongst you. There is so much info to take in.

1) The parties....the lime green and the 80's seem to start later in the afternoon. Do people stay dressed in costume the rest of the night? What happens for dinner..do we get changed?

2) For Mardi Gra do people just wear masks or is it more costumes etc? Do people stay dressed up all night?

3) Excursions - as my documents didn't arrive until late. All the excursions I'm interested in are waitlisted. What are the chances of spaces opening up? should I make other plans?

4) On the last day of the cruise does HAL offer transfers to MIA international airport? My flight isn't until late pm. Is there anywhere I can check my luggage at MIA?

Thanks guys any info would be appreciated.

1) The parties....the lime green and the 80's seem to start later in the afternoon. Do people stay dressed in costume the rest of the night? What happens for dinner..do we get changed?
No, they change. There are a minimum dress code for the dining room and restaurants.

Some people go through many outfit changes throughout the day, even if there is no theme party going on.

;)

2) For Mardi Gra do people just wear masks or is it more costumes etc? Do people stay dressed up all night?

It is a costume event with a Mardi Gras theme this time around. And easy costume is a mask and then there are costumes that make you think: "how did they get all that on board?!" And there are some that won't have any costume, it's all OK. The costume competition takes place in the theater at around 10:30 pm, not too many people will get into costume before that. Then again, some outfits you see onboard may make you wonder if it was a costume or just everyday wear. :confused: Dancing is after the competition and that's where I guess most will have changed into costumes by then. I am not sure if I want to get into my outfit just to go and watch the competition, since I am not entering it. I am not gay enough for that! :D

3) Excursions - as my documents didn't arrive until late. All the excursions I'm interested in are waitlisted. What are the chances of spaces opening up? should I make other plans?
If you really want to do it, get waitlisted, you never know. Cancellations happen. I don't know if they would add more instances of a waitlisted excursion if enough people are interested. I have no experience in getting waitlisted. But also look for alternative options.

Hello fellow RSVPers!

I can't believe that two weeks tonight, we'll all be on the ship, most of us probably in the main theatre watching the Oscars.

Peter, thanks for starting a new discussion thread...

Matt, thanks for following up with CC about the old one...

I laughed at the post about "being worthless at work". I know the feeling, the anticipation that vacation is just around the corner and you feel all distracted... Wish I had the luxury of that this time around, but work is so busy, that I'm actually worried I'm going to forget something for this trip.

That said, has everyone had a chance to check the detailed itinerary with the daily schedule of events?

I'm not sure if many of you noticed, but they're having a passenger talent show again this year. I may participate if I can get my idea for a number going. Any chance there are a few of you on here who might not be so shy and want to show off your fantastic dancing skills and help me with my number? *Hint, if you're a Madonna fan and know some of her moves, you might just be interested...

I'll try to keep up with the posts. Unfortunately, it's been crazy for me and the last page I was up to was page 149.

See you all soon.

Cheers!

Aji (& Stuart)

So far I have received responses from 80 people who plan to attend the Meet and Greet. That's more than last year!

If you have nor responded yet, please drop me an email at boytjieny at yahoo dot com stating your name(s) (first and last, if possible) and cabin number. I would like to give HAL an idea of how many people to expect, and by providing them with a list they would be able to contact everyone in case of any changes (or any potential additional event ;))

So far I have received responses from 80 people who plan to attend the Meet and Greet. That's more than last year!

If you have nor responded yet, please drop me an email at boytjieny at yahoo dot com stating your name(s) (first and last, if possible) and cabin number. I would like to give HAL an idea of how many people to expect, and by providing them with a list they would be able to contact everyone in case of any changes (or any potential additional event ;))

Hi Peter,

Please include Stuart and I for the CC meet'n'greet. We're hoping to drop by and say hi to the gang.

I just sent you an email with the info.

Thanks!

Aji

:)

No, they change. There are a minimum dress code for the dining room and restaurants.

Some people go through many outfit changes throughout the day, even if there is no theme party going on.

;)

I couldn't agree more. Specially since I am pretty much finalised on everything I am taking. ALOT of this, and a whole lot of that. I am taking fun t-shirts, and some bizzare costumes.

If you like to people watch, you will have a field day. There has been alot of interesting things seen on the cruise.

I'll probably change clothes 3-4 times per day, depending on my mood.

Hometown t-shirts for Bon-Voyage is a hoot. People come from EVERYWHERE to be on the cruise. And I have a costume this year for that... I couldn't be content in just a t-shirt from my town.

I'll probably change clothes 3-4 times per day, depending on my mood.

Just 3-4 times?? Nothing unusual about that: get up, put on clothes for breakfast (1), put on bathing suit for sun/swim (2), change for lunch (3) , outfit for bingo (4), outfit for T dance(5), change for dinner (6), change for evening party (7), change for bed (8 - or maybe not).

Just 3-4 times?? Nothing unusual about that: get up, put on clothes for breakfast (1), put on bathing suit for sun/swim (2), change for lunch (3) , outfit for bingo (4), outfit for T dance(5), change for dinner (6), change for evening party (7), change for bed (8 - or maybe not).

:) I've seen some guys change bathing suits 3+ times in an afternoon, let alone all the other costume changes throughout the day :)

I know the ship has an extensive library to choose from, but has anybody read anything lately that they just loved and would recommend for a ship-board read? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have yet to get more than through a chapter or two on a RSVP cruise LOL I did just start a book called I am not myself these days by Josh Kilmer-Purcel that just a few chapters in has got me laughing something fierce. It'll be a good book I think to at least pretend to read sitting on deck in the afternoon :)

I have taken books to read on a gay cruise - and brought them back unopened. There's just too much going on. But a friend enjoyed lounging on the balcony reading so it can be done.

I learned some time back-one book. That's it. If I'm lucky I'll get past the forward. And nothing heavier than a paperback.

Any chance there are a few of you on here who might not be so shy and want to show off your fantastic dancing skills and help me with my number? *Hint, if you're a Madonna fan and know some of her moves, you might just be interested...

Aji (& Stuart)

I'm a Beyonce convert. Ever since I saw Justin Timberlake on SNL...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFmwnrryIKI&feature=related

Just checking, Peter-you have us on the list?

*Hint, if you're a Madonna fan and know some of her moves, you might just be interested...

Sometimes I sing and dance around the house in my underwear, doesn't make me Madonna, never will!

Check with me on the cruise. If its Vogue, I could have my arm twisted... maybe...

and a big cookie for the person who can identify the movie, I quoted from.

The quote is from one of my all time favorite movies - Working Girl with Melanie Griffith, Joan Cusack and Sigourney Weaver (and oh yeah, Harrison Ford)... thanks for bringing a smile tonight, MNHippie.

gboy1sttime - usually HAL will sell you a transfer to MIA via bus. But there are no storage lockers anymore... so unless you want to spend all day sitting at the airport, you should think about taking a post cruise excursion. They will hold your luggage during it. Or rent a car for the day and do some sightseeing. Youu can rent a car from FLL and return it to MIA for no drop off charge with the major car rental agencies.

As for the waitlisted excursions - it's hit or miss. Usually a certain number of excursions are held back for purchase on board (or additional times offered only onboard, etc)... but since this is a charter, not sure if it will be the same. If you check out the port of call section on these boards you will see lots of ways to enjoy independent excursions at the islands we are visiting, - also try shoretrips dot com. The only port you need to be extra careful in is St. John if you do something independent. If you plan to take a ferry over to St. Thomas to go shopping or see the sights there, be sure to leave yourself time to get the ferry back and make the ship! When you are on a ship sponsored excursion they wait for those to get back if there are delays. If you go independent you can get left if things go wrong. That said I have done independent excursions on most stops with no issues. The other thing to keep in mind is we have a fairly short stop in Grand Turk - only until 3. So if you plan to see the historic downtown or go around the island, again, leave yourself time to get back. If the ship leaves at 3, all aboard will probably be at 2:30.

The quote is from one of my all time favorite movies - Working Girl with Melanie Griffith, Joan Cusack and Sigourney Weaver (and oh yeah, Harrison Ford)... thanks for bringing a smile tonight, MNHippie.

I'll give you your awarded cookie on the cruise! 8-)

Archived