A Celebrity cruiser is looking at HAL

Seabee

Can you help me get started understanding HAL's fleet? I see references to S class..what else is there and which ships are in which class?

We are huge Celebrity fans, but we alternate cruises with Holland America! Here's what you can expect:

--smaller ships with great itineraries.

--traditional darker decor.

--large cabins with great beds/beddings.

--asian feel and excellent service.

--very good food in the dining room (slight notch below Celebrity).

--great food in the Lido buffet (slight notch above Celebrity).

--adequate alternative restaurant.

--versatile covered main pool area with nice aft deck pool.

--wonderful wrap around promenade deck.

--relaxing, low key cruising experience.

--yes, an older crowd -- except the Vista Class ships.

--so so entertainment, but good in cabin TV selections. A movie theater.

Holland America is a nice alternative to Celebrity!

Enjoy!

Kel:D

That sticky on HAL ship classes (at least, the first post) refers to Signature class without elaboration.

The first Signature ship is Eurodam, which was inaugurated in the summer of 2008. Passenger capacity is 2,044. This class is similar to the Vista ships, but with an extra deck. New features include cabanas by the pool, another set of retreat cabanas on the observation deck, the very popular Asian restaurant Tamarind (fee for dinner, no fee for lunch) and adjacent Silk Den bar, plus the introduction of Canaletto - an area of the Lido (buffet) partitioned off on the evenings, serving Italian (no extra charge).

The second Signature class ship will be Nieuw Amsterdam, which will be delivered next year in 2010.

Although you didn't ask about these other differences from Celebrity, Holland America has both early and late fixed dinner seating, plus "As You Wish" open seating. In general, tradtional dining seems to fill up, and people booking later must accept open dining. Also, HAL has experimented with show time BEFORE dinner for late seating dinner passengers, with show AFTER dinner for early dining patrons, but there are hopeful signs this (IMO) silliness will revert to normal:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=921685

Our two favorite lines are Celebrity and HAL -- we've sailed 3 times on each. In general, my ranking gives a slight edge to the R & S class ships of HAL, in that they are smaller than the other HAL ships and Celebrity ships. The 1200-1400 passenger size (as compared to 1800) makes a surprising difference in quality of food and service, accessibility, etc., without sacrificing quality of shows, and availability of activities.

Thanks to you all. I never look at those sticky's so I missed the thread but now know where to look. I hope to see some of you folks when I get this lined up and I will defintely be lurking if not posting on this forum as I get firmed up on a sailing.

Archived