***** Price Gouging on Norwegian Cruise Line*****

helosardig

I DO understand why the OP is upset. He was told to "wait till Friday as they would have a greater selection and the prices would be reduced." That statement alone would have given me the expectation that I would be paying a price that was at the least a reduction from the MSRP. I could be naive. (I AM naive, lol) However, I would have expressed my displeasure by returning the watches for a full refund, and spending my dollars elsewhere.

To the OP, yes, I would be pi$$ed, too. But please realize that you are upset with the wrong folks. The stores are independent contracters, and they are the ones who over-priced your merchandise, not NCL. I hope you didn't let this incident spoil the rest of your vacation. Thank you for your service to my country, Bill Dignan.

I also find this a shady business practice.

However, that type of practice would never surprise me from this type of store - buyer beware should be the attitude.

BUT, more importantly, as a few others have pointed out:

NCL DOES NOT OWN OR RUN THESE STORES! So your complaint is not against NCL - and no, they can't be expected to micromanage how their 'tenants' price their goods, as long as what their 'tenants' do is legal - and setting whatever price they want for their goods is indeed legal.

In an unscientific test, I researched Fossil watched on the web. Going to the Fossil web site, I picked a mens watch at random (BQ9361) and then searched for it. I could pay the $105 MSRP, $99 at Buy.com, $79 at ewatches.com or $63 at Unitedwatchewholesale.com. It took me longer to type this reply than to research the watch and it never eases to amaze me that people have no clue as to what things are worth.

To all veterans, Thank you for your service to your country.

Not always true. I recall when the Mazda Miata first came out, it was all the rage. Dealerships couldn't get the cars in fast enough. They were selling for above MSRP because they were in such demand. And a couple Xmases ago, many people were forced to buy the Nintendo Wii on the secondary market (i.e., eBay) for way above MSRP. It's all about supply and demand.

Supply and demand is fine. I bought a WII off ebay in order to get one for my son for Xmas... But you are on a ship, and can't go to 3 stores to compare prices, and if they SAY they are good deal while they have you as a captive audience, I just think that's different...

Thanks for the heads up about the shady business dealings on the Pearl and thank you for protecting our country as well.

Just be aware that these so called "shady business dealings" occur on every cruiseline, on every ship. They are not unique to NCL. It's called making a buck and they will do it however they can.

So when you sail on YOUR favorite cruiseline, beware.

CG

But you are on a ship, and can't go to 3 stores to compare prices, and if they SAY they are good deal while they have you as a captive audience, I just think that's different...

But Dave, what else would you expect a salesman to say? As I said before, I understand why the OP is upset and I think it would have gone a long way if they offered to refund the difference to appease a customer. And then run down and remove all of those tags so they wouldn't have the problem with future sales.

But, salesmen are salesmen. Whether on sea or land. They are there to make a dollar and we all know that salesmen are not the most honest people in the world (no offense to anyone who's a salesman LOL ). Believing what someone tells you when they are trying to sell you something is simply naive.

I've looked at those watches on board and frankly, I considered buying one that I really liked. But what held me back was that I had no clue what that watch was really worth. And while on board, no way to find out (didn't have internet service). So I had to make a choice...buy it on a whim, or pass it by. If I had bought it, and had found out that I got shafted, so be it. It was my decision to make. My choice however, was to not buy. I may have missed a fantastic deal....I will never know. All I know is that the choice was mine and I made it.

CG

OP can I assume you were happy with your purchase up until you discovered the other tag ? Im guessing yes.

Any item you buy is only worth what You are willing to pay for it. They were not trying to cheat you , only puting a price on an item that they felt would sell .

I feel equaly riped off when I buy a soda from a machine for $2.00 when I know it should only cost a $1.00 ..

Again ... Cavet Emptor

I feel equaly riped off when I buy a soda from a machine for $2.00 when I know it should only cost a $1.00 ..

Again ... Cavet Emptor

I do too, but if I'm really thirsty, I will still buy it. Knowing full well I got shafted but enjoying it anyway! :D

CG

:rolleyes:

I also find this a shady business practice.

However, that type of practice would never surprise me from this type of store - buyer beware should be the attitude.

BUT, more importantly, as a few others have pointed out:

NCL DOES NOT OWN OR RUN THESE STORES! So your complaint is not against NCL - and no, they can't be expected to micromanage how their 'tenants' price their goods, as long as what their 'tenants' do is legal - and setting whatever price they want for their goods is indeed legal.

While I agree with most of your comments, I do think that NCL should monitor and manage the vendors they use.

As has been illustrated here, these vendors are a reflection of NCL, even if what the "tenants" are doing is legal...you still don't want your passengers to be unhappy with any aspect of their cruising experience (or at the very least, keep them as happy as possible) The cruiselines, do benefit financially by having these shops on board, so I can't look at these shops as a totally seperate entity

Look, the cruiselines (most of them) have these "shopping information" sessions and provide the venue for these "talks" in their onboard theaters, etc. ...essentially it is a type of commericial for the products being sold on board and in the ports. As the "landlord", I wouldnt want folks to feel that they have been misled by my tenants...because it does reflect poorly on the "landlord".

With that said, I do agree that folks should do their homework to be sure they are getting a good buy and the prices they are paying are fair. I think I too would feel gipped if I saw that the MSRP was lower than what I paid....legal or not.

JMHO ;) So please excuse my vent and my rambling....:rolleyes:

I'm split! I agree with the op and would be upset myself under the same circumstancs yet I would personally never buy anything of value (like an expensive piece of jewelry, artwork etc.) on a cruise ship. Boo-coos of middle men between maker and purchaser who all have to make a buck. To me, "Buyer Beware" never had more meaning than in a ship's store!

Man, I just waded through 4 pages of these petty ramblings... must be very bored this a.m. It would be nice to have gotten the watches at the lower price, but the watches were just fine before the discovery of the MSRP tag. To me it falls into the same camp as stateroom price drops after final pmt is applied. You paid what you considered a fair price, so either enjoy it or let a few unresolved $$$ ruin your day/week/month/cruise; it is your choice and I hope you choose the former. I do thank you for your service to our country.

I don't understand why, when someone posts negative comments about NCL, soooo many people find so many excuses to defend NCL. Isn't this board to discuss likes, dislikes, complaints , and compliments? It seems in some poster's minds, NCL can NEVER be at fault.

I do NOT think they are defending NCL.

I really think most of the posters are wondering what the issue is. They wanted to sell this item for $109. That is their right. If they wanted to sell it for $200, they were fully within their right to do that.

Personally, I do not understand why everybody thinks a cruise ship is a floating flea market anyways!

And to get so upset over it. As said many times, the OP thought the price was WORTH IT TO HIM, so he bought it.

Man, I just waded through 4 pages of these petty ramblings... must be very bored this a.m. It would be nice to have gotten the watches at the lower price, but the watches were just fine before the discovery of the MSRP tag. To me it falls into the same camp as stateroom price drops after final pmt is applied. You paid what you considered a fair price, so either enjoy it or let a few unresolved $$$ ruin your day/week/month/cruise; it is your choice and I hope you choose the former. I do thank you for your service to our country.

Wow...very dismissive of the OP concern. :p

In truth...most of the post on these boards could be classified as "petty ramblings"..we are all here to discuss issues, experiences, ask questions.... it's all pretty petty in the grand scheme of things, but a fun and informative way to pass the time. :rolleyes:

And just maybe when we do look to buy something onboard, we will look a little more closely and shop more carefully now that we read about the OP

shopping experience whether you sympathize with him or not. ;)

JMTC

Supply and demand is fine. I bought a WII off ebay in order to get one for my son for Xmas... But you are on a ship, and can't go to 3 stores to compare prices, and if they SAY they are good deal while they have you as a captive audience, I just think that's different...

You're kidding, right? A captive audience for a watch? I don't consider buying a watch essential. It's not something he couldn't have passed up. And, if he were just dying to buy the watch, he could easily have logged onto the internet onboard to do a quick search (see post #53 above).

It's always a good idea to KNOW what you are buying; it's value, what the retail price would be if you bought it in the U.S.

If you don't do your homework, it's real easy to get taken to the cleaners by businesses and stores outside our country.

It's called "gullible".

Frankly, I never spend more than 10.00 for a watch anyway...so, if it's really valued at MSRP 8.00, I've only "blown" 2 bucks.

You're kidding, right? A captive audience for a watch? I don't consider buying a watch essential. It's not something he couldn't have passed up. And, if he were just dying to buy the watch, he could easily have logged onto the internet onboard to do a quick search (see post #53 above).

OK a quick funny story. I took a flight to Papeete and another to Bora Bora where I learned that my ten dollar NCL watch was really NOT water resistant to even one meter. My fiance had NO watch whatsoever, and we were staying in a bungalow without a clock.

We had airline flights to catch and trip tours (Swim With SHarks) to be ready for at a specific time. So yes, I NEEDED to find a watch somewhere. Unfortunately, it was a Sunday and we were on bicycles.

Amazingly enough, we cycled up to a little store which was open on a SUnday and which had wrist watches for sale. I used my VISA card to get one and asked them to set it for me. To this day I have no idea how much it cost, but it was invaluable for us to have, right then.

Uusually however, I would agree it is not a necessity.

OK a quick funny story. I took a flight to Papeete and another to Bora Bora where I learned that my ten dollar NCL watch was really NOT water resistant to even one meter. My fiance had NO watch whatsoever, and we were staying in a bungalow without a clock.

We had airline flights to catch and trip tours (Swim With SHarks) to be ready for at a specific time. So yes, I NEEDED to find a watch somewhere. Unfortunately, it was a Sunday and we were on bicycles.

Amazingly enough, we cycled up to a little store which was open on a SUnday and which had wrist watches for sale. I used my VISA card to get one and asked them to set it for me. To this day I have no idea how much it cost, but it was invaluable for us to have, right then.

Uusually however, I would agree it is not a necessity.

Good story. I bet you pack a small, battery-powered travel clock now. :D

I am sorry that the OP feels that he was treated unfairly, but do have a couple of comments.

1) What is the cost of doing business as a vendor on a cruise ship. I would think that the cost of the space and expenses to keep employees on board would be much higher than having a store in a mall.

2) Based on comparing prices for other "common" purchases on board vs in port such as drinks, why would anyone think this is the place for bargins?

3) If taking a cruise with the expectations of finding bargins, I would think the best place would be in some of the ports.

4) I do think the vendor could have prevented this by making sure that the MSRP price tag was removed.

5) OP had the option to accept the vendors price, or go elsewhere.

I think this could have been handled better by both parties.

I have to wonder if the OP is not so much mad at the store as he is with himself for not noticing the sale and MSRP tags pre-purchase instead of post-purchase. And after probably spending over $1000 per person on the cruise, what's another $20? As a Veteran you know there are obviously bigger problems in the world.

Hello,

Recently I had an issue aboard the NCL pearl. I was interested in buying a Fossil watch from your ship store. I was told to wait to wait till Friday as they would have a greater selection and the prices would be reduced. I asked the sales lady why there was such a small selection. She told me that Fossil watches sell quickly. We ended up buying 3 watches, when we noticed that under the sale tag ($109) there was another tag. It was the (MSRP)Manufactured suggested retail price. It was marked $87.00!!!!! The price was marked up $22. When I talked to the sales person they said that I would need to speak with the Assistant Manager (Edwin Hamilton Leo). So I went up to the store. Edwin told us that the watches are old and can't be sold, so they had them in stock for a long time. So they marked them up to what they are worth now. I showed him the tag and he said he was fine with this and would not help me. I then asked the store clerk for his full name. Once Edwin found out he went downstairs to look over the table of watches and remove all the MSRP tags so the other passengers would NOT find out. After Edwin saw us standing there he approached us and then asked if we would like to speak to his Manager (David Atkinson). We told him that we want to file a report with the ship customer service. They then called David Atkinson. He was kind and understanding. He resolved out mistake and said he would look into the discrepancy and report back to us. He didn't! I felt I needed to write you and WARN YOU before INCL takes advantage of you with their SALE items. So Now the future and past passenger know the truth about the prices on the Pearland on NCL ships.

Thanks, Bill Dignan

U.S. Navy/Coast Guard Retired

--

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his/her life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact..

God bless America

fIRST i'D LIKE TO THANK THE POSTER FOR 2 THINGS. oNE IS FOR HIS SERVICE TO THE MILITARY.

2ND IS FOR THIS POST. aT THE VERY LEAST YOU ARE WARNING PEOPLE NOT TO GET CAUGHT UP IN THE "ON-BOARD" (sorry caps lock was on) hype they try to pressure you with.

I will also state that in most cases if an item has two prices they are forced to sell at the lower price.

Now having said all that it does seem that if you were happy with the original purchase then why worry. As someone just posted when you are on a ship you have no other stores to comparison shop so unless you are familiar with what you are buying then don't take the risk, or if you do just live with it. In particular if it was a carib'n cruise there are watch stores at every port.

I have bought or had bought for me many watches during a cruise, but only once on board. It was 10 dollars, silver in color and my 10 yr old son bought it from the gift shop as a gift. It was right exactly twice a day:p I wore it for him everyday! lol it was cheaper than a fancy drink! :D I have also bought high end on the islands and maybe over paid maybe didn't but the experiance was what it was, so be it.

Finally, why did you just not return the items? were they unique?

Now to all those people shopping on board, be careful;) and hey to the OP thanks again for your service.

Thank you OP for serving and defending our country. When you included that information in the post on your displeasure about the inflating watch price, I thought surely there must be more life experiences to be outraged over. Then I thought about it some more and understand your frustration. You served for many years to protect democracy, individual freedom, capitalism and a free market economy. I am thinking you felt duped because it was one store on one ship with one watch. No negotiation, no refund, no exchange, no apology, no satisfaction. I see the connection. If there was a way to do it, I would send you the price difference so you are not so mad anymore.

coka

Archived