Carnival Customer Dis-Service

SINYFam

I am one of the posters that agrees that Carnival not only should take responsibility but legally can be forced to. However, and it is a huge however, Carnival's liability is limited by the cruise contract and under that contract, their liability is limited to $50. The moral, even when your right, you will be expletived over by the cruise company if they choose to do so when it comes to your belongings.

The OP said Carnival did give them a few bottles of wine as compensation, but nothing else. Im assuming that was worth $50?

SINYfam - I truly don't believe that anywhere Carnival accepts any responsibility to receive "packages" to be delivered aboard ship, or to track them down if they disappear. If you had called Guest Services in advance to check on this type of service, I'm betting that they'd have suggested that you order via Bon Voyage at the 800 number.

Carnival is covered in the Cruise Contract " Paragraph 4. BAGGAGE, PERSONAL PROPERTY, PROHIBITED ITEMS, LIMITATION OF LIABILITY ....

© Carnival shall not be liable for... (5) any loss or damage of perishable items, medicine, liquor, cash, securities or other financial instruments.....".

Does the company you used Guarantee that you'll receive the items, as in the recent similar thread? "Not sure but I know I was able to use a company called JBOY (Just Because Of You) on our second cruisein Miami. It was great while it lasted. I do know that they guaranteed that I'd either receive my package onboard or they would issue a complete refund. I felt I had nothing to lose to try it. The next time we sailed they were no longer in business. I had also heard that Carnival was no longer accepting deliveries of this type to the ships. If so I can see why with all the negative finger pointing when something goes wrong."

ken

WOW, the posts here swing far and wide.

I ordered from Spec's not to beat any system, I got the impression from the posts that this was fairly common, guess not.

Too much for the cruise, no it was a good deal.

Who signed, a Carnival employee and her signature was quite clear.

The delivery receipt was clearly marked with ship name, date of departure, our names and our room numbers.

Where the product supposed to be held, in some sort of lock-up I was led to believe.

The bottles that went missing were for a 90th birthday celebration dinner, we otherwise purchased wine with all other dinners.

What I don't get is why most posters here think Carnival bears no responsibility for something getting lost. If you sign for it, you take responsibility for it (at least that how it works in my business).

What did I expect from Carnival, I expected them to take responsibility for the actions of their employees.

What did I expect from posters here, certainly not what many of have done. So sorry to have wasted your time.

BYE

Who has your money? Spec's does. Carnival had no interest in your dealings with Spec's. Spec's delivered the shipment on the wrong day, TO the wrong ship and THEY have the money. Can we assume that Spec's told you to take a hike, so now you want to blame Carnival? The MONEY is in the coffers of Spec's, Carnival doesn't have your money, NEVER DID. Why should Carnival refund a sale NEVER made?

Dan

SINYfam - Just a question to get more details - How did you determine that it was a Carnival (versus Port) employee who signed? Thanks, Ken

I had that same question. And is there a place at the port terminal where a delivery is stored until the next day? If Spec's does this on a regular basis, you would think they would have more information on procedures.

Some people just don't get it... Carnival signed for it, so why don't they take responsibility for it getting lost. One poster here is always preaching about "Taking Responsibility". I guess that only works for everyone except Carnival.

Some people just don't get it... Carnival signed for it, so why don't they take responsibility for it getting lost. One poster here is always preaching about "Taking Responsibility". I guess that only works for everyone except Carnival.

I worked for quite a few years in cargo and freight forwarding so I am going to assume the same 'rules' apply...

Signing for it means almost nothing.. It only means that it was delievered, not that it was delivered correctly..They are usually signing for a pallet delivery or one large shipment which is not broken down til after the fact...

The responsibility ultimately lies with the shipper..:)

I worked for quite a few years in cargo and freight forwarding so I am going to assume the same 'rules' apply...

Signing for it means almost nothing.. It only means that it was delievered, not that it was delivered correctly..They are usually signing for a pallet delivery or one large shipment which is not broken down til after the fact...

You are correct, how can you verify a packages contents without opening it? And why would they allow packages to be delivered if they had to assume responsibility for contents. I own a storage business. My insurance company won't assume liability nor I for contents stored. People could claim they have about anything stored. If a cruiseline has to guarantee deliveries from 3rd parties then the cost of liability will have to be passed on to the rest of us who don't use 3rd party shippers.

When airlines fares skyrocketed and they started adding fee's for baggage and pillows etc,............you saw threads on CC saying how people were just going to ship their luggage via Fedex or UPS. So if the luggage is to be delivered to a hotel at the port or to the ship are the hotel or cruiseline responsible for the luggage to arrive?

Then why have anyone sign for it if it doesn't convey some responsibility to the signee? Like I said earlier, easy fix...don't sign for anything. Don't you think that would have solved the problem for Carnival and ultimately the OP? My personal opinion and personal practice, if I sign for something, then I am taking on the task of making sure it goes to who or where it belongs, if I don't want that responsibility, then I don't sign for it. I guess I look at personal responsibility differently.

sorry for the mix up op, but not a carnival problem.

If i order something from jcpenneys and they mix up the address and deliver it to my neighbor, the post office is not responsible, jcpenneys is. If the correct address is on it and the post office delivers it to my neighbor instead, then it is a post office problem, but in no way would it be my neighbors fault or problem. (neighbor in this case = carnival)

the difference being jcpenney would be allowed to walk up to your neighbors door or your door for that matter. With port security, they are simply dropping it off at the port, and putting it in the hands of whoever signs for it that it will make it on the right ship. Your analogy really does make no sense at all.

the store was the only one that made a mistake by delivering it to the wrong ship.

see previous comment, its not like they are able to walk up to the ship and personally hand it to somebody. Have you the slightest clue how these things work?...:rolleyes:

i would be mad too, but you are mad at the wrong people.

I think you need to rethink this.

me thinks you need to rethink your analogies.

and as to your comment on security, i think if you will take the time to look it up, there are different regulations for cruise ships and airlines.

Even in the event the personnel at carnival realized a mistake had been made, thier only responsibility was to notify the deliverer of the error. Not to track down where it should have gone.

where are you getting this from?....once a carnival employee signs for it, they take responsibility in getting it to its rightful recipient. Thats how it works. Again, your a bit confused me thinks.

also, another thought is if it was delivered just prior to departure, there would have not been time to realize the error before the ship was out to sea if even then. Again, you problem is with the store. Not carnival.

Go Carnival!

I know the gift bags made it to the terminal (I have a copy of the signed receipt), we also know it made it on a Carnival ship, the problem is, it was the wrong ship!!! Our Bon Voyage gifts were put on the Estacy which left before us.

One really curious question. Look at the date someone signed for the package at the dock or the day it was put on a Carnival ship. You see, the Ecstasy and the Conquest are not at the dock on the same day. :eek:

The Conquest sails on Sunday and the Ecstasy sails 4 and 5 day rotations.

Perhaps the merchant delivered the package the wrong day?

Worth a look...

One really curious question. Look at the date someone signed for the package at the dock or the day it was put on a Carnival ship. You see, the Ecstasy and the Conquest are not at the dock on the same day. :eek:

The Conquest sails on Sunday and the Ecstasy sails 4 and 5 day rotations.

Perhaps the merchant delivered the package the wrong day?

Worth a look...

The OP has explained this above. Liquor stores are closed on Sunday, so the package was delivered on Saturday while Ecstasy was in port. He says it was clearly labeled for the Conquest and that he expected the package to be held in some lock box overnight. It was delivered on the correct day, per the OP's explanation.

Then why have anyone sign for it if it doesn't convey some responsibility to the signee? Like I said earlier, easy fix...don't sign for anything. Don't you think that would have solved the problem for Carnival and ultimately the OP? My personal opinion and personal practice, if I sign for something, then I am taking on the task of making sure it goes to who or where it belongs, if I don't want that responsibility, then I don't sign for it. I guess I look at personal responsibility differently.

From my days as a Dispute rep, only the signature of the buyer that he received the merchandise actually is important in a dispute of if the buyer received the merchandise. The fact that the merchant had to hand it over to a 3rd party, he assumed the risk. The lawyer's above explained this in legalese for those who still don't get it.

Most of us are still curious if Carnival even still allows this at ports. From the posts I have read it is NOT allowed. The OP says he was told it was, but most of us have read the opposite. Id like to see Carnival's policy on packages being delivered to the port from merchants who provide liquor. Anyone know it?? I saw another thread started, but no one can provide it there either, so its in some murky status if this is even allowed by Carnival.

firefly - I did see a post in that other thread that indicated someone had researched ship deliveries and determined that they were no longer allowed, but with no details. I e-mailed Specs in Galveston to see if they still deliver to ships and if they guarantee that it will be received by the customer. Carnival's Cruise contract does state that they are not responsible for any loss or damage of perishable items, medicine, liquor, cash, securities. ken

Like others, I am curious to know how the OP knows the signee is a Carnival employee vs a port authority employee? This hasn't been answered despite being asked several times.

Obviously, Specs couldn't drive up to the ship to drop off (since the correct ship was not in port), so no Carnival employee at the correct ship could sign for it. I can't imagine Carnival has someone waiting around to sign for goods intended for a ship sailing the next day.

So where was the package really dropped off and who signed for it?

Archived