Atlantis LA-Mexico Oct 2009 (Mariner of the Seas)

mwwkw

Just seeing who else might be going... AND to ask what is prolly a silly question: This will be my first cruise ever of any type. Tips? Things I wouldn't think to ask/consider myself? Hints? Reminders?

And seasickness: best ways to combat? pills? patch? other?

Any advice is appreciated. :-)

I took this cruise in 2007 and loved it. This is Atlantis' bigtime PARTY cruise and so you will run into a certain amount of circuit boys. However, the boat is big enough that it allows for early-to-bed and traveling quiet kinda guys as well. And the new boat is significantly bigger.

The guys will be friendly. Everyone you meet will be nice - even those who you might find a bit stand-offish on land will be nice on sea.

Some things to do: participate! Be part of the pool-side activities. You will look back on this as an important memory. Schedule a massage for the last day at sea... it will prepare you for home... and don't do anything at all, just relax that day.

Also, don't be afraid to ask for more than one entre. A friend and I sat next to each other and shared several things each meal. You would be surprised at how happily the staff will accomodate.

Unlike regular cruises, the staff on the gay cruise volunteer especially for this sailing. They want to be there. So don't think it odd if the employees have a camera and want to take pictures of the passengers - especially on party nights.

Lots of guys bring costumes for the special nights. Atlantis will post the party themes in advance so you can be prepared.

In Puerto Vallarta go have to go hang out at the gay beach (blue chairs) during the day and go to a club at night.

The boat will not make you sick. Bring some ginger ale and go get the pressure point wristlets in the gift shop onboard and you'll be fine.

And most of all... go have fun. Don't look for negatives or you'll find them somehow. Just be happy that you're sailing with beautiful men on a beautiful boat to beautiful beaches.

My partner and I are considering joining the cruise. We’ve never been on an Atlantis cruise, however we took an RSVP to Alaska, which was a lot of fun.

I’ve heard the Atlantis cruises typically attracts a younger group of guys. Does anyone have first hand experience with Atlantis?

First hint: HAVE FUN! :D

Sorry I can't help you on seasickness, I don't have the problem.

To answer Desertguy 32's question, I have been on two Atlantis cruises and the age range was 22 - 76 on one and 22 - 82 on the other. It's pretty much an all ages crowd.

Even though they are not doing a pre cruise package this time, consider arriving the day before to reduce the stress.

If you can, fly on Virgin America. Especially on the way home, it was full of people who doing the 2007 Mexico cruise (OK it was the LAX - SFO run. :p) The service is great too.

Once again, HAVE FUN!

I've been on two Caribbean cruises with Atlantis, not Mexican, but I can help with the seasickness. I've used the wrist bands (bought them on board) and also the prescription patches. The patches made me really thirsty, I never felt drowsy. I'd bring both. Seasickness really sucks, it is hard to have fun so I wouldn't take any chances. Ginger is a natural nausea aide, but it has to be real ginger, not ginger flavored. Some people get candied ginger at health food stores. Another thing that helps is looking out at the horizon.

The Atlantis experience is amazing, it is the best vacation I've ever had. I can't speak highly enough about it. Have a great time.

I have done this Mexico trip for the past three years, and we are hoping to go again in 2009. All I can say is they keep getting better!! Each year we have more friends, better costumes, and an overall better experience. Plus, this year there will be a larger ship with nearly 1,000 more guys. I agree with what everyone said here--get involved! The more you put into it, the more you will get out of it. Participate in the parties and events and you will have a blast. :D

I did this cruise two years ago and loved it and am planning on going again this year. Atlantis will send you a brochure which will outline all of the theme parties and what to expect on board. This brochure is also usually posted on their website around 3 weeks prior to departure and will give you all of the information you need to have a great cruise. Unless you know you are prone to see sickness this is generally not a problem on such a large ship. The medical facility onboard have medicines should you need it. I've rarely seen anyone stuffer from sea sickness, but It's always a possibility should we have very rough seas. The passengers onboard come from all over the US and aboard, with roughly 50-50 singles to couples. All ages from 20's to 80's with the average in late 30's to early 40's. The 7 day cruise from the US tend to get a younger crowd vs the international sailings which tend to be older and more coupled. The dress during the day is very casual with shorts, T-shirts, and bathsuits. If you forget to bring something the ship has several onboard shops plus all the shopping at each port of call. At night it's dressy casual - no suits with ties or any formal ware. The only thing you might want to bring beyond your clothes are costumes for the some of theme parties up on deck at night which is completely optional. Some people also like to bring decoration for there cabin doors. There is no fixed assigned dining tables. Atlantis seats you with other guest at dinner between 5 to 10PM as you enter the dining room. You can dine where ever and with whom ever you like. It a great way to meet new people every night or just dine by yourself if you so wish. Atlantis always brings on the best entertainers. There are tons of things to do onboard - you won't be bored. I'll guaranteed that!! Best advise - don't worry, just go and have a great time.

This is my first cruise as well. I'm physically disabled and use a wheelchair, and am concerned about leaving the ship at the three ports of call, as well as getting back on the ship. Is there anything I should be doing, or asking in regards to this? Thanks!

I have not been on this cruise but I know that physically disabled passengers have done other Atlantis events. Maybe an email or call to the Atlantis team would give you some answers? They have always been helpful when I have called. I hope you have a great time.

800.6.ATLANTIS or http://www.atlantisevents.com/contact.aspx

I have not been on this cruise but I know that physically disabled passengers have done other Atlantis events. Maybe an email or call to the Atlantis team would give you some answers? They have always been helpful when I have called. I hope you have a great time.

800.6.ATLANTIS or http://www.atlantisevents.com/contact.aspx

Thank you! When I made the reservation, I made it abundantly clear that I was a person who used a wheelchair, and needed an accessible state-room. However I didn't take into consideration ports-of-call. I need to call them back and ask them about that. Especially Puerto Vallarta.

Hello -

A couple Kansas boys are signed up and ready to cruise. My bf has taken an Atlantis cruise before but this will be my first. Needless to say, I cannot wait. I've been on several "straight" cruises prior - but, am looking forward to an all family cruise.

Cheers everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

My partner and I will be on this cruise--we booked our hump cabin on deck 8 while we were on this cruise last year. Nothing beats the Atlantis experience! Speaking of which, has anyone accessed the Atlantis alumni site that they just launched? There is something about needing to be invited that I seem to not have been included on. Is this going to replace the wonderfully sleazy Atlantis411.net website?

Mhy first Atlantis cruise was to Mexico last October on Serenade of the Seas. I had a blast and booked 10/2009 cruise onboard. I think I also have a hump cabin on deck 8!

See you guys onboard!

TX Atlantis Cruiser, the new alumni site does not replace Atlantis411, the alumni site is an official Atlantis site. 411 was started by a past participant to facilitate more socializing prior to cruising. Yes, you do have to be invited to join the alumni site but a quick email to Atlantis will get you an invite.

Just seeing who else might be going... AND to ask what is prolly a silly question: This will be my first cruise ever of any type. Tips? Things I wouldn't think to ask/consider myself? Hints? Reminders?

And seasickness: best ways to combat? pills? patch? other?

Any advice is appreciated. :-)

I am considering going on the Atlantis Cruise in Oct. I'm taking the RSVP Mexican Riviera cruise in April and will see how I feel about it after that. The Mariner looks like a great ship by the way.

We just got off the Solstice and are toying with doing either the Mexican cruise or the PV land based in October. We've always done the Caribbean trips so we're still undecided. The prices for the Cruise appear to be much cheaper than the typical Atlantis vacation too but does not include drinks. What to choose?

Well, we booked the Mexican Cruise for the fall. We got one of the promenade rooms which I heard can be pretty interesting since apparently the guys on the cruise don't close their curtains, a show within a show, interesting...

We're really looking forward to it, my husband has never been to the west coast and we have several friends in the LA that we haven't seen it awhile so it will be fun.

My friend and I will be doing our first Atlantis cruise with this trip to Mexico...we're really looking forward to it. I wasn't sure about going but after doing a little research and not finding anyone who didn't enjoy it how could you pass it up?

Anyone that has gone before, what do people usually do in Puerto Vallarta? It looks like we'll be there for a couple of days, although I've been to PV before, do people from the cruise do excursions, hang on the ship, go clubbing or what?

We're on deck 6!

My friend and I will be doing our first Atlantis cruise with this trip to Mexico...we're really looking forward to it. I wasn't sure about going but after doing a little research and not finding anyone who didn't enjoy it how could you pass it up?

Anyone that has gone before, what do people usually do in Puerto Vallarta? It looks like we'll be there for a couple of days, although I've been to PV before, do people from the cruise do excursions, hang on the ship, go clubbing or what?

We're on deck 6!

I've done this cruise twice now and hopefully will be going again. Anyway....passengers tend to do a little bit everything in Puerto Vallarta. You can take an organized tour offered by the ship or arrange it independently if you wish. The zip line tours are very popular. You can just take a taxi to the Malecon and look around, shop and have lunch. We took a taxi to the Blue Chairs and just hung out at the gay beach then headed up the roof top at the Blue Chairs hotel for happy hour and to watch the sunset and go go boys. Since the ship does not leave until 2:00AM you can go to some of the gay bars and nightlife in PV; however many just stay on the ship since there in plenty going on onboard the ship. Club Manana is quite popular dance club for Atlantis passengers. So, you have plenty of options. Atlantis will provide you with a full listing of things to do in PV. I think with 3200 passenger there will be plenty going on everywhere in PV.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get to the Port. We are going to fly in on a Friday and plan to see some friends in LA on Saturday. I guess we'll have to rent a car however, I'm not sure where we should drop it off and how would be get to the ship especially since it is 20 miles away.

then we have to think about how we are going to get back. I've heard (not sure if it's on here) that the ship has gotten back late in the past and it's hard to make flights even as early at 11AM which is when our non-stop would be.

I would not recommend a flight as early as 11AM. We've done this cruise the last two years, last year it was about 45 min late docking because of fog however the main problem is that it takes 3 hrs to get off the ship! This is not an Atlantis problem or RCL but more customs and immigration. They won't clear the ship until all non US citizens have presented themselves to the customs officers and last year it took forever for these guys to understand the annoucements and follow the procedures.

My partner and I fly in the day before and rent a car to play around in LA overnite. Last year what worked for us was to return the car to LAX and take the SuperShuttle (reserved ahead of time online) to the port in San Pedro. I think the cost was $34 for the two of us and even though you have to wait for them to kind of fill up the van, it still only took about 45 mins total to get to the port after dropping off the rental. Coming back we used the RC transfer system and the luggage transfers, both of which worked very well. The only problem was as stated by 2DesertGuys, the ship was late and we were late getting off, but I had purposely booked flights around 1 pm having had similar experiences in the past. Hope this helps.

Archived