Beds on the Grand

susiefay

OK, once and for all, are the beds on the Grand REALLY that bad?? Should I seriously bring a foam topper onboard with me? I really don't want to, but all that I have been reading is scaring me into thinking I have to:eek: Someone please help:rolleyes: We sail in 18 days..........thanks;)

Firm is one thing, the beds on the Grand are hard, lumpy and worn out. Badly in need of replacement. I strongly advise requesting an egg crate topper from your stateroom attendant as soon as you board. With the toppers they are tollerable. Otherwise, the staterooms are fine. Mine had a new flat LCD TV and was in good shape. Hope this helps.

Firm is one thing, the beds on the Grand are hard, lumpy and worn out. Badly in need of replacement. I strongly advise requesting an egg crate topper from your stateroom attendant as soon as you board. With the toppers they are tollerable. Otherwise, the staterooms are fine. Mine had a new flat LCD TV and was in good shape. Hope this helps.

I beg to differ here. The new extra firm mattresses that are hard as a rock are brand new, not warn out. Princess replaced their mattresses recently with the extra extra firm ones. The old ones were saggy and lumpy but not firm or hard by any means.

The problem we had (and we had a brand new mattress, never slept on before) in our suite, is that they haven't just switched them to the extra firm style, but they have also replaced the egg crate mattress toppers on the Grand with a thin approximately 1" thick foam pad (dimpled, not the egg crate design which helped soften them to a tolerable softness). Our egg crates were also brand new and we watched them take them out of the packaging. We have always been able to order one egg crate (the old style they used to use) for the new mattresses and didn't have a problem. But now with these new mattresses pads, you can't even tell they are on the bed they are so thin.

As I mentioned after our cruise, we had them put three on the bed and it still didn't help much.

So, if you enjoy sleeping on an extra firm mattress, you will enjoy the new mattresses completely. If you are used to sleeping on a pillow top or memory foam or any type of mattress not more on the firm side, it could be a problem.

No more Princess cruises for us unless we take an extra suitcase with a memory foam topper along. Two weeks of restless nights and back aches just were not our form of a nice vacation. :mad:

Well, Toto, it may be that they have replaced the bedding in Suites, but as of January of this year nothing had been done in my Outside cabin. When you pulled back the duvet, you could see, and feel, springs poking up from the tired, worn out mattress. I also heard reports that they had upgraded the TV's in some (mine) cabins, but not in others. I will further report that a lot of features on the Grand were not in working order; especially the hot tubs were hit and miss. Maybe I have been spoiled by Crystal and Celebrity, but I would not sail on Princess again unless it was on one of their newer ships.

Well, Toto, it may be that they have replaced the bedding in Suites, but as of January of this year nothing had been done in my Outside cabin. When you pulled back the duvet, you could see, and feel, springs poking up from the tired, worn out mattress. I also heard reports that they had upgraded the TV's in some (mine) cabins, but not in others. I will further report that a lot of features on the Grand were not in working order; especially the hot tubs were hit and miss. Maybe I have been spoiled by Crystal and Celebrity, but I would not sail on Princess again unless it was on one of their newer ships.

Now that is very interesting. I wonder if there were some decks they had not replaced them yet? I know many in our group also commented on how hard the new mattresses were in their staterooms. My understanding was that all mattresses were to be replaced at some point last year? Another misinformation press release from Princess maybe? Sure wouldn't be the first time.

As for the TV's, we found that only deck 8 had the flat screens on our sailing, but the rest we spoke on other decks still had the old type TV's. I read, from reports of those onboard after our cruise, where they are slowly replacing them on each deck though.

I agree about the hot tubs, those to the aft did not work well and were actually cold tubs with a few bubbles.

And I also agree that this sailing on the Grand was not up to the standards we have grown to love on Princess. And I doubt that we will sail on the Grand again anytime soon. Just to add, we have not sailed on the newer ships like the Ruby and Emerald yet, so we have been used to the other Grand Class ships. The Grand had some problems, I will admit that, and I hope that Princess gets these fixed PDQ for their sake of reputation and the sake of their passengers. IMHO of coarse! Definitely not our best princess sailing, I also agree there.

Thanks to all for your responses. Still in a quandry as to what to do, with DH having already had 3 back surgeries and we do love our Tempurpedic!

Maybe we will go shopping in Florida before and bring a topper on, ugh, seems so silly to do, but just might make for a much better cruise:rolleyes:

Hello Susan! We are kind of worried too. My back is a mess already and the hard, lumpy bed thing is not what we were wanting to hear about. Sure do think we better stop someplace in Ft Lauderdale and purchase a topper. Hey...just leave yours for us when you get off! LOL! Maybe we could all start a "pass you mattress topper to a friend" program. Sure do wish we were on with you guys. We miss you!

We were on The Grand 2 yrs ago and the mattresses in our cabin were horrible. At the time we were told that all mattresses would be replaced soon....I am not talking about just uncomfortable for our tastes, but totally worn out, saggy, extremely uncomfortable. I can't imagine that the same mattresses are being used. We are sailing on The Golden this summer and if we find the mattresses intolerable we will have to look into other lines in the future.

Hey Beth! Sorry to hear about your back too:( I love your pass a mattress topper program! If we do wind up getting one, I will let you know. Email me your cell # and I can call you from Florida. I really do not want to but one, they are over $100.00, doesn't seem like we should have to! We wish you were coming with us, especially since "the boys" will be with us again this time:D talk to you soon....love to Terry and from David too!

Thanks to all for your responses. Still in a quandry as to what to do, with DH having already had 3 back surgeries and we do love our Tempurpedic!

Maybe we will go shopping in Florida before and bring a topper on, ugh, seems so silly to do, but just might make for a much better cruise:rolleyes:

We had the same issue on both Grand and Emerald. However, with the addition of 2 pieces of eggcrate foam we were Ok. Still not my 6 in memory foam mattress topper from home, but OK.

• 7 months later...

We were in a category AB mini suite on the Grand in May and even with my back problems (just had back surgery less than 2 weeks ago), one egg crate was enough to make us comfortable. We sleep on a latex mattress at home and are very finicky about mattresses. Our cabin had the new flat screen TV, and as a frequent user of the hot tubs, I can attest that they were all in fine working order. Maybe it is luck of the draw, but we had absolutely no complaints about our experiences on the Grand.

OK, once and for all, are the beds on the Grand REALLY that bad?? Should I seriously bring a foam topper onboard with me? I really don't want to, but all that I have been reading is scaring me into thinking I have to:eek: Someone please help:rolleyes: We sail in 18 days..........thanks;)

Should you stay in a "Suite",you will enjoy "upgraded" mattress/bedding!:)

Archived