Rash guard?????

BIG_Steve

Can anyone think of a reason why I would need a $40.00 "rash guard" when snorkeling? How much better than an old tee shirt can it be?

How about skin cancer prevention.I am a survivor of Melanoma--thank God my wife noticed a funnly looking spot on my arm and we caught it in time.My wife is in the medical field and has treated patients with terminal Melanoma.She said it was "not pretty".Please protect yourself.Too much sun exposure can be deadly.

How about skin cancer prevention.I am a survivor of Melanoma--thank God my wife noticed a funnly looking spot on my arm and we caught it in time.My wife is in the medical field and has treated patients with terminal Melanoma.She said it was "not pretty".Please protect yourself.Too much sun exposure can be deadly.
Doesn't exactly answer why a rash guard is better than a t-shirt. I'm sure Big Steve appreciates the rant though.

The most expensive of these is $29.95 and it's a full body lycra one. The t-shirt style ones are $14.95 - 22.95 and many come with free shipping.

The difference between these and a cotton t-shirt is when cotton gets wet it can rub against the skin causing a rash. The material used in rash guards is designed to slide over the skin not causing rashes.

Can anyone think of a reason why I would need a $40.00 "rash guard" when snorkeling? How much better than an old tee shirt can it be?

A "normal" white T-shirt has an SPF of about 5-6 (see http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/PM1916.pdf or http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/29/earlyshow/health/main556151.shtml )

A good Rash Guard or speciality UV shirt has an SPF of up to 50. And if you look around you can find them for a lot less than $40. For example check out www.scubatoys.com search Rash Guard.

My husband and kids wear rash guards. It really does protect from sunburn. If you are snorkeling and reapply your sunblock every 30 minutes you probably don't need one. T-shirts help but do not offer the same protection in areas with intense sun. The $20-$30 spent on a rash guard would probably be less than the money spent on a good sunblock. A tshirt can also hang down and ride up on your body whereas a rash guard fits snug to the body and is not a nuisance. Definitely not a necessity but definitely a convenience!! Of course, just my opinion. Cherie

1. better sun protection

2. dries much faster and more comfortable then a wet t-shirt

3. better protection if you rub against the reef

4. better protection from jellyfish and other stinging ocean life

5. Wet t-shirt will weigh you down more

I am sure there are other reasons too. I got mine off e-bay, full body and I have been VERY happy to have it - I did not pay that much for it. I dive too and a t-shirt does not cut it with dive equipment on.

Doesn't exactly answer why a rash guard is better than a t-shirt. I'm sure Big Steve appreciates the rant though.

The most expensive of these is $29.95 and it's a full body lycra one. The t-shirt style ones are $14.95 - 22.95 and many come with free shipping.

The difference between these and a cotton t-shirt is when cotton gets wet it can rub against the skin causing a rash. The material used in rash guards is designed to slide over the skin not causing rashes.

I was not trying to "rant"! I was just trying to provide a little information on how serious sunburn can come back and haunt you later in life.Personally I don't give a hoot about what you wear. Dive naked if you want to---things look bigger underwater.

As a previous poster stated most rash guards have a SPF of 50,and protect against fire coral,sea lice,jellyfish,etc.

I was not trying to "rant"! I was just trying to provide a little information on how serious sunburn can come back and haunt you later in life.Personally I don't give a hoot about what you wear. Dive naked if you want to---things look bigger underwater.

As a previous poster stated most rash guards have a SPF of 50,and protect against fire coral,sea lice,jellyfish,etc.

I'm the OP, and I appreciated your time and comments.

Next question, are swim shirts and rash guards the same thing? I've been looking at the fit for rash guards. The chest/weight/height measurments sound like only a guy right out of Marine boot camp would fit one!

I look like a blueberry in my rash guard, but it is much more comfortable than a t-shirt.

If I get a silver one, I'll look like a giant beer keg with feet! Hmmm, silver would be a bad choice. Everyone would pull the snorkel expecting beer to come out my nose.....

Dive naked if you want to---things look bigger underwater.

I'll stay clothed when I dive, I don't need the water's help in that department. As for the other poster, that was posted after yours. Had you mentioned that information you might have made some sense. I'm guessing you may not have known about the SPF of the different materials prior to that post. I know I didn't.

I'm the OP, and I appreciated your time and comments.

Next question, are swim shirts and rash guards the same thing? I've been looking at the fit for rash guards. The chest/weight/height measurments sound like only a guy right out of Marine boot camp would fit one!

You're close to correct. Rash Guards are normally marketed for sufer dudes. I ain't fat, but I do have a paunch.

I'll give up my daily ice cream fix when they pry it from my cold dead hands!!:p

Fortunately, there's a manufacturer who has us in mind -

Henderson Aquatics. The XL fits me just fine.

Sunflower Girl listed most of the benefits. Add a bit of cold water protection to her list.

I highly recommend a rash guard shirt, but be sure you can try it on at your local dive shop before purchase. If you can't find the loose fit, just go up a size or two.

P.S. get the long sleeve

I look like a blueberry in my rash guard, but it is much more comfortable than a t-shirt.

I have a full dive skin...my DH thinks I look sexy in it...wait maybe I should have put that in my reasons it is better than a t-shirt! :D It does not sound like it works for the guys though...although I like blueberries and beer!

Seriously - I really like having the full "skin" it keeps me from getting sunburned or stung. I can't believe I forgot the cool water thing too. Mind you I did my certification open water dive off the coast of Maine the first weekend in Nov - outside temp was 60 and the water was 40....now that was cold!

I second the full dive skin! I'm light-skinned and get fried when I'm out on the water so it's nice to have that kind of protection. Also--the breeze can get kind of chilly when your boat is speeding back to shore. A rash guard/skin gives you some protection from wind too.

Just be sure you rinse it in FRESH water ASAP after you return. If you let it dry with sea water in it you (and anyone close to you) will regret it--they can get pretty "ripe" ;)

--Ellen

Everyone would pull the snorkel expecting beer to come out my nose.....

Sounds like you are going to be the most popular guy on the boat!

Seriously, though, a dive skin is just the thing to keep you from getting fried, and when wet, it will keep you cool when you are out of the water as well. Just don't forget to put plenty of sunscreen on the back of your neck and ears.

You can get dive skins from any online retailer or dive shop, but if you want a larger size than XL, you will have to do a little bit more looking.

Here's one for $49.99, and it is available up to XXXL. http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-diving/evo-mens-5oz-lycra-dive-skin/

Have fun!

Wendy

Thanks everyone for the tips. When I posted my question, I thought Rash guards were silly. But I ended up ordering a jumbo size from Omar the tent maker. Omar has a great return/exchange policy, so I should be covered, even if the rash guard doesn't cover me.

I ordered a rash guard from Joe Diver's recently. It was the least expensive fitted guard they had by Body Glove. It is a really tight fit, so if you want a little more room, I would order at least one size larger than your comfortable T-shirt size.

The rash guards do block UV rays, keep your core temp up and dry quicker than a regular t-shirt, so I thought it was a smart buy.

http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/Mens_Rash_Guards/1210

We were on a cruise to French Polynesia in their summer. The sun was very hot. We bought rash shirts, and spent almost all day in the sun. We still needed to use a good sun tan lotion on the areas not covered by the rash shirt, but in 2 wks. we did not get sun burnt. Many people were miserably burnt. They were very comfortable and I wasn't hot wearing mine. I highly recommend them. ;)

Archived